Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine

Author Topic: Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-08-2004 02:06 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Pure CHEESE! I love it!

I just finished watching it twice back-2-back...in 2.35 of course! ANOTHER one of my all-time favorite, watch-at-least-once-a year film!

Thank you Jim Nicholson and Sam Arkoff of AIP for ANOTHER great one of your MANY cheesy pics and many hours of entertainment!

>>> Phil

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 06:34 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the days of 16mm film on TV, we ran nearly all of the AIP library. Except for a select few, where are these films today? Rotting over at Warners?

"James H Nicholson and Samuel Z. Arkoff Presents" 'ment that we might see something special. Ok. Maybe not.

Was "Up The Creek" Arkoff's last production?

Musing now: Lets see new prints of the best titles from AIP! As bad as they are, they still beat the pants off of what they make today.

A bad 'un that I bought recently: "Frogs" (1971) DVD looks great, color looks good. Ray Milland looks old. Movie is insane, but fun.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-08-2004 09:11 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce wrote:
quote:
Rotting over at Warners
The AIP library is over at MGM now.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2004 01:55 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Back in the days of 16mm film on TV, we ran nearly all of the AIP library. Except for a select few, where are these films today?
Besides the Dr. Goldfoot titles, most of the Annette & Frankie Beach Movies ( ruled by Harvey Lembeck & Buster Keaton), & things like Tommy Kirk in Mars Needs Women are out.

MGM's released on DVD probably all the best of the AIP Corman horror flicks. They're fun to look at again, but really reinforce what you remember about them: often draggy, budgets usually show, with a few cool gags & sometimes an incredible shot or two. The early ones just seem mostly long & painful, there's some fun in lots of them besides watching Vincent Price prop up a whole cardboard movie alone:

"Masque of the Red Death" has about three knockout visuals in it, "Tomb of Ligiea" is surprisingly good overall, "Haunted Palace" has a nice, effective score. The Les Baxter scores for AIP always seemed to me thin & careless. Surprises in the series are that "The Raven" is actually pretty dull, for all the people who remember it as being very funny; "Comedy of Terrors" is a gem with the whole AIP/Poe stock company from screenwriter to actors showing their chops & obviously having a great time - the Jacques Tourneur direction is a little bare bones (schedule!), except for a moment when it has to turn on a dime & Tourneur gives one of the few real goosepimply moments in any AIP film.

They also released the wonderful non-Corman AIP "Phibes" movies - the epitome of megalomaniac mass murdering anti-heroes, & what I remember one reviewer calling "the only horror movie that feels like a musical."

One of the DVD's had as an extra an interview with scriptwriter Richard Matheson who tantalizingly revealed that after "Comedy of Terrors" the AIP folks were very pleased & wanted another sort of in the same vein. He had these great actors that were starting to loosen up & show how to make things work as the productions started to get less rigid in the genre, & Matheson was plainly hitting a high point in inspiration & craft. The new one he put together had as its concept a theatrical family: Boris Karloff as Uncle Dudley, the sweet host of a children's show who actually HATED kids, Peter Lorre as a stage magician who had a bad record of accidentally burning down theaters during the pyrotechnic part of his show, Tallulah Bankhead as a, umm, Talullah Bankhead-type self-obsessed hammy actress, & Basil Rathbone as a still-out-there-swinging ex-vaudeville song & dance man. "Everybody loved it & wanted to do it, but it didn't get done, well, the REASON it didn't get done was about half of them DIED..."

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-09-2004 02:14 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
William, "Mars Needs Women" has to be the most lame film of all time! Bar none! At least Ed Wood's stuff was "good" even though pure cheese! Hahahahahaha

I mean, who couldn't like "Glenn or Glenda" or "Jail Bait"... even with that shitty guitar music! Hahhhaha

>>> Phil

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2004 07:04 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK they are at MGM. I thought that the films went like this: AIP, then Filmways, then Orion, then Warners. Oh well...

Classic Schlock! One of my favorites is Master Of The World w/ Vincent Price. I've read that this one was released in Technicolor, though I've never seen anything but Eastmancolor.

The music in The Pit And the Pendulum is kinda fun. The sound effects, especially the pendulum, are kinda cheezy, but I always liked the way the edits during the climax of the film are cut with the bass drum on the soundtrack providing the beat as the pendulum swings...

Doctor Goldfoot is a fun title. Lets see more!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-09-2004 08:09 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are almost right. it went American International Pictures, to Filmways Pictures., to Orion Pictures released through Warner Bros., to just Orion Pictures to the MGM library.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: