Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "SCHINDLER'S LIST" repricing on DVD

Author Topic: "SCHINDLER'S LIST" repricing on DVD
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-05-2004 02:57 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When "SCHINDLER'S LIST" was finally released on DVD a few weeks ago, it came out in two editions. A standard single disc version and a deluxe set with the same DVD content as well as a soundtract music CD, a limited edition Senitype and a nice hard cover book featuring scenes from the film. The standard edition was on sale at most video retailers for $19.95 and I think the list was $29,95. I originally bought a standard copy for $18.95 at Costco and it came with a nice soft cover edition of the novel the film was based on. All of the extra material in the deluxe edition was housed in a very oversized plastic box. I really wanted to get the deluxe set but there was no way I was going to pay $54.95 at the same store just to get the extra stuff. The regular retail for this set was $84.95 and I just cannot believe anyone would want to pay that amount of money. I guess Universal also came to the same conclusion when the deluxe set was not selling and they decided to reduce the price to $34.95. Costco also changed their price to $26.95 which was nine dollars more than the standard edition. Because Costco is very good about making exchanges, they allowed me to return the standard edition DVD of "SCHINDLER'S LIST" and buy the deluxe set by paying the difference. Except for the very flimsy plastic box, I was very pleased with the CD, the senitype and the very nice hard cover book. The DVD is great! I always had the movie on a DTS laserdisc and the picture quality was very good but in my opinion, the DVD is much better. The 5.1 DTS sound on the DVD is almost as good as the full bit rate laserdisc and I was very pleased with it.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 05:12 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah Universal did a similar thing for the deluxe version of Scarface. It came with the 1932 version as well as the 1983 version of the film. A money clip, cigar puncher were in there as well. But they were charging upwards of $70 for it. But they didn't reduce the price. To this day they aren't a great seller.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-05-2004 05:37 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can find the Scarface deluxe edition at many of the stores here at $50.00.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Scarface deluxe edition only came with the money clip. I got mine at costco for $43 I believe it was.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 05:48 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$43 is a pretty good price. I just re-checked the price here and it's $67.98 CDN.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 06:46 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does that equal in US dollars? That might not be TOO bad of a price. (sorry for getting off topic here)

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 06:54 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Works out to be $52.78 US.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 07:08 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not too bad, I've seen the set in Best Buys for about $50.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 11:22 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude

Did Costco (where I bought mine) requirfe the return of the softcover book as well? And what does the hardcover book include? Problem is, I already have the CD from the original release, and don't have the original receipt (although this hasnt been a problem at Costco for returns before.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-06-2004 03:23 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul,

When I took the standard DVD edition of "SCHINDLERS LIST" back to Costco for credit so I could get the deluxe edition, I also returned the book which was still shrinked wrapped. I still had the cardboard box and returned everything in it. The only thing I did not have was the original sales receipt but because it was obvious the disc was purchased from their store because of the packaging and the sales clerk knew I was a regular Costco DVD customer. I had no problem making the exchange. The size of the hard cover 80 page picture book is just slightly smaller than the cover that holds the DVD and the CD and the print quality almost look like photo gravure printing. With the exception of three pages of Foreword and eight pages of production notes at the end, the rest of the book features photographs of scenes from the movie. The numbered edition Senitype is about the size of the book and mine features a scene of the little girl in the pink dress being led away by a German soldier. The original 35mm single frame is matted for a 1.85.1 aspect ratio. The film frame features only an optical track and a DTS time code because of Universal's commitment to DTS sound only at that time. If it is only a matter of duplicating the CD of the score you now have, I would not let that deter you from getting the deluxe edition because the Senityple and the book makes it all worth the effort. I am sure one of your music loving friends would love to have the sound track CD you now have.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: