Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » weak subwoofer output (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: weak subwoofer output
Charles Dale Carter
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Charles Dale Carter   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Dale Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a digital Panasonic receiver/decoder hooked up to some KBH (cheap, I know) speakers. The 5 speaker system has a non-powered subwoofer that receives L and R channels then disperses to FtL, FtR, RL, and RR. In stereo mode it puts out good bass, but in surround modes (DTS and Dolby digital) it is very weak.
Am I going to have to get a powered sub for better performance or do I have something hooked up wrong? (Yes, I did follow factory directions). I've got DVD, VCR and Digital Cable hooked in.

Any help/clues would be appreciated! Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-01-2004 04:44 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some recievers have separate crossover points for surround mode (or no crossover point at all for other modes). Make sure the crossover is turned off or set as low as possible.

Charles Dale Carter
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2004 06:32 PM      Profile for Charles Dale Carter   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Dale Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl,
Thanks for input. I'll admit to my ignorance here, but I don't recall reading about any crossover points or coming across any crossover settings. I'm out of town right now, but I'll check that out when I return home over the weekend.

I need to correct one thing I said, the subwoofer only puts out the front L & R. Rears come from separate jacks on recvr.

Receiver's got a subwoofer jack, so I wonder if I just hooked up the sub to that and used regular L & R jacks on recvr front channels if that would help.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 04-01-2004 07:03 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally the reciever only has a sub pre-out (line level) which is no good for your unpowered sub.

If there's no crossover point control for the surround mode it's probably permanently set at 100Hz which would explain why you get little sub response out of the left and right channels in surround mode (other modes often bypass the crossover for a more natural sound for those formats).

If you've got the cash, two or three 18" powered subs would make good end tables. [Smile]

Charles Dale Carter
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2004 08:56 PM      Profile for Charles Dale Carter   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Dale Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Daryl. I'll check that stuff out when I get home. Yeah, wouldn't 2 subs be really cool? However, don't think my wife would be so enthusiastic. If I can't resolve my issue, I'll probably go out and get a powered sub.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 04-01-2004 09:08 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you need matching end tables. They're the right height and 18" subs generally have the right size top surface.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2004 10:14 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your speaker size selection. Most modern Home Theater receivers have a SMALL and LARGE setting for all the speakers in the surround set up.

Selecting SMALL will roll off the low frequencies to the subwoofer and will produce more impressive bass response.

There aren't many Home 18" subs that I've seen that are worth what they are charging ( ie Velodyne ). For the price of a single Velodyne, I'm sure you could get 2 JBL 4645C with the necessary amplification and x-over for less than the price of the Velodyne and will blow it out of the water.

Charles Dale Carter
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2004 02:27 PM      Profile for Charles Dale Carter   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Dale Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron,
I do have those settings and I think it is set to SMALL, but will check and see. Thanks for model specific recommendations. JBL makes good stuff for the right prices. My Dad chose JBL systems when refitting an old theater he bought several years ago, replacing the monolithic Altec tower and horn behind the cinemascope screen.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-03-2004 01:13 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you want to do is set your speaker sizes to large if the speaker wires are going from the receiver to the sub then to the left and right speakers. If you have them set to small the low frequency is diverted to the low frequency pre-output of the reciever for a powered subwoofer. By having them set to large the full frequency is sent to the left and right speaker outputs, that full signal will go to the sub, the sub will pull off the low frequencies at the subs crossover pont and then send the rest to the left and right speaker. Normaly on a lot of receivers when you just run in stereo all this large small size is bypassed and you have the ability to set bass and trebile levels.

Oh, one other thing, when running in Digital modes DTS and Dolby. You will not get the full bass extention that the process provides. This is only availabe through the pre-amp output and you will need a powered sub-woofer for that.

Charles Dale Carter
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2004 01:26 PM      Profile for Charles Dale Carter   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Dale Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AHA! Darryl, I think you have given me the crucial clue. For it is indeed when I'm trying in DTS or digital that performance is so weak. Looks like I need to buy a powered sub to get that rumble in my thunder again.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2004 01:41 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thinking about it again, when you start fiddling with the small and large settings, make sure you set Center on Large and keep it there. The lower end in the center gives a more presence in the dialog, IMO.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-08-2004 01:12 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A really great sounding home theatre speaker package on a budget:
(I use these in both of my setups)

Front and Rear L & R
KLH 911B $20.00/pair

Center
Sony SSMB150H $60.00/pair (I use one in each setup)

Sub
Sony SAWM200 $99.00

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really can't suggest a sub lower than 10". The frequency rolloff is too high ( an 8" is more in the 35-40hz range ) and the driver just take a beating on DTS soundtracks when played at a reasonable volume.

All three fronts should be the same or at least the same manufacturer for more seamless transistion from panning dialog/effects.

Charles Dale Carter
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2004 02:08 PM      Profile for Charles Dale Carter   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Dale Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mike and Ron, for such specific recommendations and obviously experienced advice. [beer] Here's to some better sounding DVDs in the future!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-09-2004 07:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get away with using a 10" powered sub if your home theater system is set up in a small room. But that is also provided if you get a good quality unit. I have a Paradigm PS1000 sub and it has more than enough oomph for my listening space.

Another added tip, most receivers have a single line out for a subwoofer. But most subwoofers have 2 line inputs. If you get a good Y splitter (such as the little doohickeys sold by Monster Cable) you will get an extra 6db of gain by plugging into both subwoofer ports.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: