Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » The Gods Must Be Crazy DVD

Author Topic: The Gods Must Be Crazy DVD
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2004 05:32 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched this movie on VHS several times back in the late 1980s and always enjoyed it. I was glad to see a DVD come out with a new anamorphic transfer.

I showed the DVD to 7 friends last night, and they seemed to really enjoy it. I hadn't seen the movie in 15 years, and this was the first time I'd ever seen the movie it the proper scope aspect ratio.

This movie is just as enjoyable now as it was when it was made. The special effects are so cheesy that they're hilarious and the "sped up film" and "bad lip sync" effects just add to the humor of this movie.

This is highly recommended for anyone who hasn't seen it.

This was a 1980 movie and the DVD transfer showed grain and small print defects from time to time, but this transfer, being 16:9 enhanced and preserving the scope aspect ratio, is superior to any previous home release.

It's really nice to see an old classic movie like this be given new life on DVD, allowing us to see the movie in its original form.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2004 10:42 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This was a 1980 movie and the DVD transfer showed grain and small print defects from time to time
This appears to have been originated in Techniscope (one of the last such productions) and transferred from a release print.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading your post, I put the DVD in and examined the image up close. It definitely looks grainy in many scenes (although in some scenes the grain disappears although the image softness remains). I didn't see any evidence of anamorphic lenses being used.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2004 01:00 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't see any evidence of anamorphic lenses being used.
Why would there be? The movie was shot with spherical lenses. (Techniscope uses spherical lenses during photography.)

Edited to correct a misspelled word.

[ 03-24-2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Michael Coate ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-29-2004 08:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They ought to make one called The Projectionists Must Be Crazy!" I remember the "Gods Must Be Crazy" film as being side splittingly funny. Since they were "Crazy" it may have been extracted from the Super 8 format......

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: