Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Return of the King on DVD May 25th!!?

Author Topic: Return of the King on DVD May 25th!!?
Blake Zaugg
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2004 03:26 PM      Profile for Blake Zaugg   Email Blake Zaugg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May seems awfully early for a DVD release, especially when it is still playing in many first run theatres, and hasn't even made it to move over or discount. The previous years it wasn't out until at least June....what is the rush this year???

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-13-2004 03:44 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be the story is complete and why wait around to release the DVD. With the other two releases you wanted to release them as close to the next ones release date to keep things fresh in peoples minds. I looke for the discount release to be coming sometime in April probably 4 weeks prior to the DVD release.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-13-2004 03:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because Michael Jackson is already satisfied with the tons of money he already made from the film in theatres. [Smile]
I know the exhibitor now get a larger share of each ticket sold during it's sub run but film producers are very greedy and now want to quickly make as much money they could from home video.

To think studios like Disney opposed the release of fims on home video in the beginning. Home video has now turned out to ba a fantastic cash cow and many films made back their production costs and have made a profit only after the film came out on video.

-Claude

Blake Zaugg
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2004 06:50 PM      Profile for Blake Zaugg   Email Blake Zaugg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But really, with a film like Return of the King, which everyone and their dog will buy - especially if they bought the first two movies (really 4), why not wait until it leaves all the theatres cash in on all that revenue and then go for the DVD revenue. I think they are missing out, and so will we.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-13-2004 07:26 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Jackson?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-13-2004 07:33 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! [Embarrassed]

I stand corrected. It's peter Jackson.

Sorry!

-Claude

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 03:25 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, haven't you heard,

The movie theatre is now only a commercial venue to promote the sales of the DVD. It is a tool used by Hollywood now to get the name of the movie out there and a few people to see it to get word of mouth to fuel DVD sales.

The movie theatre is not THE place to make money or to SEE the movie anymore. [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: