Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "JET LAG" DVD

Author Topic: "JET LAG" DVD
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-02-2004 11:08 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a joy it is to watch a foreign film in it's original language on DVD and if one also chooses to watch the alternate English version, that is also possible and I did exactly that with "JET LAG" ("De'calage Honaire"). I saw the bitter sweet comedy last night at home and thoroughly enjoyed it so much I watched it again in English. The English version was also good because both of the film's stars, Academy Award winner, Juliette Binoche and Jean Reno had made several films in that language and did their own dubbing. The story is about two travelers who meets at Charles de Gaulle International Airport in Paris and gets stranded for the night because of a short airport transit strike. Rose played by Binouche is a beauty technician and Felix played by Reno is a former gourmet chef and now sells mass produced frozen foods and hates it . Rose is flying to Acapulco to get away from her alcoholic boyfriend and Felix is on his way to Munich to attend the funeral of his former girlfriend's grandmother. Both Rose and Felix wind up sharing a hotel room together and spend the night talking and soon find themselves disliking each other at first. This mutual dislike for each other does not last very long and a touching relationship develops between the two in the end. I find a love story like this possible because I believe a sensitive and beautiful woman like Rose can fall in love with a pessimistic and gruff looking man like Felix and find mutual compatibility in each other.

-Claude

[ 02-03-2004, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: Claude S. Ayakawa ]

|  IP: Logged

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 08:32 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Claude ;

If you like J. Binoche, you can watch "Le Hussard sur le toit" directed by J.P. Rappeneau : in south of France, in a time of war and disease, a young italian officer gallantly tries to help a young woman find her husband... The pictures are magnificient and actors great ! The english title : "The Horseman on the Roof" (1995) .
An other french director, Luc Besson, make directly english version of his films with actors that speak english (of course ! ) and that dubbe themselves for the french version. ("Le grand bleu" and so on ...) [Wink]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-04-2004 12:50 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gilbert

I just checked and "LE HUSSARD SUR LE TOIT" is available on DVD here in the United States. It was released last June on DVD by Miramax and I will see if I can find it. Juliette Binoche is indeed a very beautiful woman and I have always admired this actress since I first saw her Academy Award winning performance in "AN ENGLISH PATIENT". I also enjoyed her performance in "CHOCOLAT".

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: