Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Open Range (DVD)

Author Topic: Open Range (DVD)
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-01-2004 02:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really nice 2 disc package that insludes alot of extras including an interesting 2 hour making of documentary. The picture quality and transfer look excellent on my 50" Mitsubishi HD set. Didn't do an actual aspect ratio measurement but it sure looks to be at least 2.35 to me.

I wasn't aware when I originlly saw this film that it was made for such a low budget. It certainly doesn't look it. This DVD is not THX'ed and is good proof that it doesn't need to be if you have capable people doing the transfer. The DD track is awsome on this disk with much of it preserved from the way the original film track sounded. Good home systems will shine with this DVD. Sadly, this was Michael Kamens last score.

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-01-2004 04:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I never saw the movie in a theatre and bought the DVD because of the good comments I have heard about it. I am very happy to say, the movie had lived up to my expectations and exceeded it. Yes, the score by Michael Kamen was very majestic but I did not know he had passed away. What a tragic loss? Everything about the movie was great including the performances by Kevin Costner, Robert Duvall, Annette Bening and others. Beside the cinematography, I loved the sound mix best of all especially the sound of the rain during the two storm scenes and gunshots. Hawaii had a lot of wet weather since Christmas and the sound of the rain from the soundtrack sounded exactly like it was during the past couple of weeks. Although the movie was not released to theatres and on DVD in Dolby EX, it sounded like it was because of the reverberation from the gun shots coming from my rear speakers.

-Claude

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-01-2004 04:31 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

Do you have your surrounds set up to mix the mono sound in the surrounds down to the center channel. If so it realy doesn't matter if it is EX encoded or not so long as the surrounds are Stereo.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-01-2004 04:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl,

I have a Denon AVR 3802 receiver and my friend at the AV store where I bought it had calibrated it for me. All movies with a 5.1 soundtract shows up on the receiver as 6.1 Sur. When I play DTS discs, it reads ES MTRX and when it reads a 6.1 DTS ES track, it says ES DIS or something like that I love this receiver and way it reproduces movie soundtracks.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: