Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Star Wars Original Trilogy on dvd??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Star Wars Original Trilogy on dvd???
Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 02:28 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Dvdsoon.com you can order a giftset of the original trilogy which hit the streets on october the 19th. Does anyone know something about this release???????.

Un saludo

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 04:06 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if these are legit. I have the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD. I got them on EBay a couple of years back and they're actually good transfers of the laserdiscs (which I also own). They're not anamorphic, though, and are from a composite source, but they're sure convenient, and will do until legitimate versions come out that are anamorphic and from original film elements.

Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 04:31 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know those dvdīs and I was tempted to own them but I donīt think the guys of dvdsoon dare to sell bootleg dvdīs. Besides a few months ago was rumored that Lord Lucas gave a party at El Presidio and there was announced the upcomming release of the Origian Trilogy dvdīs.

Weīll have to wait

Un saludo

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 06:49 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know a couple of years ago I would have probably have been excited about the origional trilogy coming to DVD. However, the two prequels have all but spoiled them for me. I have seen the Special Editions when they were released at the theaters. I now own the VHS versons. I have seen them many times over. Unless there is someting really "special" about these DVDs and unless I can find them really cheap (somewhere in the neighborhood of $30.00 for the set), I am probably going pass. I am tired of giving my money to Mr. Lucus.

Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 07:37 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iīm with you. Mr Lucas has lived of the rents for a many long time and now heīs back directing, better he stayed at his Skywalker ranch but all my interest and love for the cinema is because of Star Wars. Besides, I love the movie but what I really found interesting of it when I was a kid was that I really wanted to know how those guys could do a spaceship fly or a laser sabre glowed this way.
If I buy the 3 dvdīs is for the extra material not for the film itself. In fact, it seems the 3 films will be the special edition cut so I keep as a treasure my old VHS with no friking CGI.

The price is about $50.
Un saludo and please Lord Lucas donīt fool with an entire generation. Donīt you have enough money???.

By the way, where can I find the "Making of Star Wars" which aired in 1977 on TV????

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-29-2004 09:59 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George Lucas had originally planned to issue the original "STAR WARS" trilogy in 2006 on DVD after the release of Episode #3 but will most likely put them out later this year in October from reports gathered at the various DVD sites. There was a time when all people talked about was "STAR WARS" and George Lucas, but with Episode #1 and #2 not living up to expectations and the attention shifting to Peter Jackson and his "LORD OF THE RING" trilogy , George Lucas now realize he must act fast and get the original trilogy out before his once loyal fan loses interest and get more involved in the "LORD" trilogy and Jackson's next movie "KING KONG" at Universal. Although I do not personally care very much for Mr. Lucas, I love the original "STAR WARS" trilogy and cannot wait for the DVDs and I think they will be awesome.

I wonder how far he will get with his original demand to theatres owners to set up for digital projection if they expect to get and play Episode #3 on opening day in 2006? If I was a theatre owner, I would show him my middle finger and play something else.

-Claude

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 02:12 AM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm satisfied with my ßeta copies, although special effect elements inserts show up surrounded by black squares of a shade different from the backkground.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 05:38 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know if they are going to charge $50.00 for these, than they better do the Alien Quadriligy treatment and have BOTH versions of the films on the disks (Han Solo shooting first and all).

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is the real deal.

The Digital Bits reported toward the end of November or early December last year that indeed Lucas was releasing the films on DVD in September 2004.

It's going to be the special edition only [Frown] and rumored to be the same type of layout as the Indiana Jones Trilogy.

EDIT:

As in Special Edition, I mean the 1997 version of the films.

[ 01-30-2004, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lacheur ]

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 06:11 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Mr. Lucas proclaim in 1997 that the original versions would never be released again because only through the Special Editions his "vision" was put to perfection?

I have heard rumours that Lucasfilm intends to change the original versions again by inserting and recreating sets/actors/effect shots. Does anybody know more about this?

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 07:21 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing is in cement right now has it hasn't been offically stated by LucasFilm. But I'm pretty sure to expect it Q4 of this year.

The Digital Bits reported on the 30th of January that Lucas is " Fixing shots " and basically CG'ing to match the new movies.

If that's the case, it's a pity.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-03-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, those "black squares" are matte lines and I believe they are even in some shots of the Special Edition (I'd have to re-check). I've never been able to NOT notice them. They are amazingly distracting.

I have heard that Georgy-poo wants John Williams to put the Empirial March theme somewhere in the original Star Wars. Once he does that, all 6 movies will have that theme. But George won't stop there! Just wait until 2007 for the 30th anniversary super extended special editions! It will contain 1 second of brand new footage!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-03-2004 07:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Lucas keeps upping the bullshit CG-ing in the original trilogy he is going to CG me from the buyers list.

My life doesn't depend on owning a copy of "Star Wars" on DVD. As it stands, I may not buy the "Special Edition" version as is. The only one I'm interested in purchasing is the REAL VERSION that came out in 1977, 1980 and 1983.

If Lucas neglects to offer both cuts on DVD he will be screwing himself out of a lot of money. Most other filmmakers who have explored altering an original cut with an "SE" version have included the original intact. "The Abyss," "E.T.," "The Lion King," "The Lord of the Rings" and "T2" are just a few of the DVDs that come to mind offering original/SE versions.

I can understand Lucas' position of "it's my movie and I'll change it if I want." Well, legally speaking, it may be his movie. But the overall image of "Star Wars" or any other movie belongs to the public once it hits the movie screens, regardless of whether he liked the theatrical cut or not.

For any great movie any of us have enjoyed in the past, we grow attached to keeping the movie exactly as it was, flaws and all. Lucas' continued changes pisses on that memory.

To eliminate the original version is akin to a great rock band erasing their master tapes of a classic album and replacing it with some different glitzed up version with new technology. Regardless of how shiny and new the changed version may be, it still is not the same thing.

I won't mind all of Lucas' CG alterations of "Star Wars" so long as he offers the pure, original, classic version as an alternative. He will be doing a horrible disservice to fans, film historians and the general public as a whole if he doesn't follow through on that point.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 08:39 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see Lucas release the Original Trilogy like the Aliens' set that was just recently released.

But then again there are the reports that say that there isn't any behind the scenes footage from back in 1976/1977 when the first Star Wars is being shot. That's a kind of a ridiculous statement though, because Alien came only 2 years after Star Wars and it had quite a bit of supplements for the dvd.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2004 05:48 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will take STAR WARS in any form on DVD....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: