Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Any Adobe Premiere users?

Author Topic: Any Adobe Premiere users?
Liam Utley
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2004 08:58 AM      Profile for Liam Utley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm fairly new to the world of DV editing, and I am using Adobe Premiere. My question to anyone that uses it is: What codecs do you use to compress it? I've played around with a few, but the file sizes are either huge, or the video quality is terrible. I cant seem to find a median. Also, I want to burn movies onto VCD and play them on my dvd player. How do i do that?? HELP PLEASE!!!!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-27-2004 09:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Use DV AVI or Quicktime DV. Sample audio at 48,000. The files WILL be huge. It's part of the game.

Burning VCDs is a whole different story. There are lots of "how to" web pages on it, but why would you want to? VCD is on par with VHS. You would be much better off burning actual DVDs.

Liam Utley
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2004 09:18 AM      Profile for Liam Utley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad. Yeah it looks like I'm gonna need to get a DVD burner.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2004 10:20 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VCD I've seen isn't on par with VHS. VHS captures all 480 scan lines of the video, where the VCDs I've seen seem to only capture 240. VCD has looked far worse on my system than VHS has because of it. One of my friends has VCDs of music videos from the 80s and they're done at that something by 240 resolution and when blown up, they look awful. I transferred some of my old VHS tapes of music videos from 15 years ago to DVD last month and they look much, much better than those VCDs.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-27-2004 06:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VCD sucks. There's really little use for that format (at least for any legal purposes). If I want to stick video clips on a CD-ROM, I just make 640 X 480 AVI or Quicktime files. Just be sure to tell users of an older PC to copy the clips to the hard disc before playing (you might get choppy video playing from the CD-ROM drive in an old PC).

I'll second Brad's recommendation for saving clips in standard DV format (either Quicktime or Microsoft AVI). Hard disc space is relatively cheap. An 80GB hard disc can give you hours worth of space (although I would not recommend filling up the drive with video).

Most any decent DVD burner will come with bundled software capable of using the video you capture in Premiere and making DVDs with basic features. For more options you'll have to at least spend around $100 for the latest offerings from Roxio and Nero. For more money you can get into the Pinnacle Studio camp or get Adobe Encore. You'll have to spend more money to do 5.1 audio on DVDs from your PC. Minnetonka Audio sells Surcode software-based Dolby Digital 5.1 encoders for Adobe Premiere Pro. Sony Pictures Digital has a similarly priced DD 5.1 encoder for Sonic Foundry Acid.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2004 12:44 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the other , dont bother with VCD if you want quality , I have experimented with premier , Ulead , Pinnacle all give poor quality on VCD , go for VDV or simple save to tape , i.e run the finished eidt back to your camer via firwire lead .

Liam Utley
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 06:43 PM      Profile for Liam Utley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard drive space isn't a problem for me, I just want to be able to copy movies (movies i've made... not pirated) to a cd or dvd so i can give them to friends. I have seen some pirated movies on vcd and the quality wasn't too bad, but with the price of dvd burners these days i think that will be the better option.

Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 07:40 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can get Premiere Pro - it has a nice DVD output that works well as long as you don't mess with the parameters. If you have a DVD burner with one click you can go away from the computer and when you come back you have a DVD that came from your timeline. It does take a while but it works well.( at least with a 12 minute video. I haven't tried longer ones)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: