Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Once Upon a Time in Mexico DVD - Flat?

Author Topic: Once Upon a Time in Mexico DVD - Flat?
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2004 11:19 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the print info thread on this movie here on film-tech, this movie was scope. I never saw this in theatres, but bought the DVD. The disc is in anamorphic widescreen and the picture is 1.78:1 instead of the scope ratio. It's rare that a movie is put on DVD this way (Austin Powers is the only other one I can think of that was done this way).

I noticed that the Columbia intro screen looked like it could have been cropped to the scope ratio. Was the entire movie transferred to DVD "opened up" vertically to 1.78:1, or did some cropping of the scope image occur in some scenes? Was the real ratio intended to be flat, and was it cropped to scope for theatres? Some scenes look like they could be cropped vertically for scope with no problems, but others I'm not so sure about.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-21-2004 12:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I must ask the question, why are you watching this horrible excuse for a movie?

Since Bobert shot the thing on video, my guess is that the top and bottom were opened up.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 01:55 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't tell me they're starting to "crop" or "pan and scan" movies for "Widescreen" (HDTV) sets. That would be horrible.

Disney/Pixar movies are usually 1.78 on DVD even though they were hard-matted in theaters for 1.85. What's the "real" ratio?

=TMP=

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 04:08 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The solution is simple. Refuse to purchase dvds that are not in their OAR ( Original Aspect Ratio ). There are a few exceptions to this of course( ie. Kubrick's films ).

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 04:09 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were shooting a Disney/Pixar animated film, I would create it at 1.78 for the wide screen DVD release and it would be perfectly fine presented in 1.85 in movie theatres. Hell, if I were shooting any flat film, I would shoot for 1.78.

I know this will not help, but from IMDB:

quote:
Technical Specifications for
Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)

Page 23 of 35

Camera
Sony Cameras, Panavision Lenses

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
Video

Cinematographic process
HDTV (1080p/24)

Printed film format
35 mm

Aspect ratio
2.35 : 1 (letterbox)

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 07:39 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please don't tell me they're starting to "crop" or "pan and scan" movies for "Widescreen" (HDTV) sets. That would be horrible.
In this case, it's not quite as bad, since no image data is being lost, just some added at the top and bottom that was there when the movie was shot. Since the DVD is anamorphically encoded, the DVD resolution is being utilized, so it's not like open-matte non-anamorphic 4:3 transfers of flat movies where resolution gets wasted if you want to zoom to 16:9, cropping the top and bottom. Still, I'd prefer the theatrical and DVD aspects to be the same.

quote:
I must ask the question, why are you watching this horrible excuse for a movie?
I haven't watched it yet. I put it in to look briefly at some scenes. I like Johnny Depp. He's really hot. Even a bad movie with Johnny Depp can't be too bad. It's like bad pizza isn't that bad. You know what I mean.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 09:20 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans wrote:
quote:
The disc is in anamorphic widescreen and the picture is 1.78:1 instead of the scope ratio. It's rare that a movie is put on DVD this way (Austin Powers is the only other one I can think of that was done this way).
You're right that it is rare that a DVD is released in the manner you describe. Nevertheless, there are a quite a few examples of this on DVD and laserdisc. (I've been compiling data for Widescreen Review magazine for a number of years now, so this type of information is easy for me to access and provide comment.)

Once Upon A Time In Mexico is the only HD/24p-originated movie I'm aware of released theatrically in scope that has been reframed for DVD. Others -- Star Wars: Episode II, Jackpot, Session 9, etc. -- are on DVD in their theatrical scope ratio.

As for Super 35 origination, there a quite a number of titles that have been reframed (generally in ratios between 1.78:1 and 2.00:1). Some of the DVDs that come to mind include Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery (mentioned in the initial post), Top Gun, Star Trek VI (first release AND the new Collector's Edition due next week), Trial & Error, The Governess, The General, Set It Off, Judgment Night (GoodTimes version; new Universal version is in scope ratio), and, recently, The Recruit.

There appear to be a few examples of the reverse: "flat" theatrical prints and "scope" DVD. A Life Less Ordinary and Communion come to mind.

Back in the laserdisc days, there was a time where it seemed that most of the Paramount-produced Super 35 titles would show up on disc in all sorts of "what-the-hell" non-theatrical aspect ratios. Ferris Bueller's Day Off was one that was 1.85:1 on laser; it's in its theatrical scope ratio on DVD. Fox's first laserdisc release of The Abyss was framed somewhere close to 1.85:1.

Super 35 and HD are flexible systems, so it should not suprise anyone that reframing takes place. It has been done with anamorphic-originated films too. In fact, some directors and cinematographers -- John Badham, Vilmos Zsigmond and Vittorio Storaro to name a few-- prefer their scope films to be presented on DVD at about 2.00:1, or more precisely, 2.10:1 in the case of Zsigmond's films. (Oddly, the Zsigmond-shot Playing By Heart -- shown theatrically in scope and originated anamorphic -- is approx. 1.85:1 on DVD.)

In most of these cases of a film being reframed, they are director and/or DP endorsed-supervised, and they'll argue that the reframing is just another creative choice being made. That certainly makes it more difficult for a DVD consumer to claim a mistake has been made, doesn't it?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-22-2004 04:17 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall hearing that HBO's high definition channel runs OAR movies (1.78 with letterbox bars for "scope" films), but Showtime's high definition channel crops everything to 1.78 no matter what. Can anyone confirm this?

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2004 05:15 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, actually it's HBO that fits everything new into the 1.78 ratio and showtime HD that shows the original aspect ratio.

HBO does show whatever HD prints were made in the OAR at that ratio. It reformats only movies since the last couple of years to the 1.78 ratio to fill the widescreen sets. It's not as bad as I expected since I realized a lot of movies seem to be filmed flat. I like comparing the HD feed with the regular 4:3 feed and the pan and scan is used mostly for true scope movies, but not as much for flat movies.

However Showtime HD, despite sticking to the OAR for their true hidef prints, shows quite a few 4:3 upconverted movies on their hidef channel. This leaves black bars on the sides. Once, they even showed a letterboxed movie upconverted which had bars on all sides.

As far as Once Upon A Time in Mexico, I don't see any problem with Robert ROdriguez refitting the movie for 1.78 ratio as it is not a pan and scan and I am sure he considered that when filming. Kubrick and Cameron do the same too. In fact, I find the opened up mattes pleasing whenever the theatrical version shows a closeup of a person where you cant even see the forehead(closeups seem to be getting tighter and tighter with movies like matrix), but in the full frame version, you get to see the whole head. It's only for movies where the cinematographer deliberately framed everything precisely for the theatrical version , that you get bothered by the different composition even for flat movies.

RECENT ADDITION TO MY ORIGINAL POST:
Oh yeah, I watched the dreadful but hilariously cheesy Showgirls on Showtime HD alternating some scenes with the regular Showtime channel. Guess what, while the HD showed the nudity with more vivid colors and better resolution, the regular channel showed an umatted and not a pan and scan version of this originally 2.35:1 Super 35MM movie. And guess what you get when you have unmatted. There were a few scenes where Elizabeth Berkley's breasts were on display while the HD version only shows her down to the neck. Also many scenes in the HD version, the legs are chopped off while in the full frame version, you can see the entire body. I prefer this composition. So while I will never accept pan and scan, I have become a convert for umatted full frame for certain movies. I noticed the same thing in Officer and a Gentleman. You can see Debra Winger's ass writhing on Gere while she is on top in the unmatted versionl, while the HD version only shows her bare back. Yeah, I know. I got priorities when watching certain movies.

[ 02-11-2004, 02:56 AM: Message edited by: Pravin Ratnam ]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 02:57 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Borrowed this dvd from a friend. While I was mixed about the movie when I reviewed this in the past, I must say this DVD is worth renting for the commentary and making of movie featurette alone. And a lot of things get cleared up
1) The movie flow sucks, and characters like the Willem Dafoe one, are confusing to follow, not because of the one year delay between the shoot and editing as I thought last year. The rushed screenplay is to blame. Robert goes on and on about various techniques used, but pretty much admits that the screenplay was a rush job. Stupid move. He was worried more about the logistics of filming than writing the screenplay itself. About the only role he put some thought into was the Depp character.

2) I dont think RR will ever film with film again. He pretty much seems to have been burnt out by the Desperado and Spy Kids 1 shoots. He does not really seem interested in getting the most sophisticated look from a movie. He would rather shoot a movie fast with total control. So there goes my hope that he would one day rise to the next level and make a great epic movie because he wants to do everything himself. While he is a very impressive talent, there is only so much one can do.

3) I am impressed with the way he used HiDef and now, I am less prejudiced. While I am skeptical of his claim that he tested hidef cameras for a week on Spy Kids1 and it was much superior to nearly identical footage captured on film cameras that same week, I do find it to be something that TV movies(especially syndicated action shows) could use to save money without sacrificing much in the way of video quality. The film school featurette was pretty inspiring for gonzo filmmaker wannabes. Some of the flesh tones problems obvious in the theater are minimized on the DVD format. However, there is a certain dullness to the look in Attack fo the Clones and Once upon a time in Mexico.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: