Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » THX EX DVD demo (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: THX EX DVD demo
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-30-2003 05:30 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After being away most of the time from early October because I have been very busy with my photography business, I thought I would share my thoughts about a very interesting home sound demo I received yesterday.

I was fortunate to receive a used copy of the THX Surround EX demo DVD. My friend at the audio & video store I frequent had more than one copy and asked me if I wanted one. At first I thought it was the DVD version of "WOW" which I have on laserdisc but all it featured was two THX movie theatre trailers (Broadway & TEX), movie trailers for "THE ASTRONAUT's WIFE" and "AUSTIN POWERS-THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME" from New Line Cinema and a short sound segment without picture titled "JUNGLE SOUNDS". The disc also featured Male/Female voice speaker test as well as the standard pink noise and other sound tests. I am very happy to say I was very impressed with the disc. Although not very long, all of the demo material had proved to me that Surround EX can be great if the studios would make an effort to mix a soundtrack and replecate it exactly to Dolby and THX standards. I also compared the THX Surround EX "TEX" trailer with the one that preceeds "TOY STORY" on DVD and there is a big difference. On the EX version, you can hear "Tex" banging away in the rear and he shouts "ouch!". On the 5.1 version, this sound effect is missing.

Because the disc was used, it had a surface full of very fine hairline scratches and a few fingerprints. Before playing the disc, I made an effort to clean it as best as I could and the playback was flawless. This proves that DVD is indeed good to be put on the rental market as discussed on another thread because I have never had any problem playing discs I chose to rent.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 08:28 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your lucky that you got ahold of one of those. They available to dealers only. Sometimes you can find copies of those THX demo discs on ebay.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-30-2003 11:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron,

You are right. I was told the THX discs are rare as 'Hen's Teeth'. I recall wanting the THX demo laserdisc "WOW" very badly I paid $200.00 for a copy.. I heard the DVD version of "WOW" is even more difficult to obtain. Anyway, I consider myself very fortunate to have a copy of the THX Surround EX DVD.

-Claude

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 04:03 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really must have wanted it badly to have paid $200 on it.

Did the " Wow " Laserdisc have most of the THX trailers on it?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-31-2003 10:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron,

When most multi disc special editions laserdiscs with the kind of extras found on todays DVDs were selling for almost a hundred dollars, I did not feel paying two hundred dollars for a special laserdisc like "WOW" was a problem. The first special edition box set of the "STAR WARS" trilogy sold for $250.00. As a laserdisc collector, finding and purchasing rare editions was a challenge and I enjoyed it very much. Because I have different priorities now, I would not spend that much money on a single title today. The wonderful thing about my THX Surround EX demo DVD was the nice price - Free! [Big Grin]
I have not watched it lately but from what I can remember,
The "WOW" laserdisc has only one THX trailer and it is "BROADWAY". It is followed by a fifteen minute feature featuring clips of all of George Lucas's films. It is followed by an audio visual demonstration on how THX works with a chase scene on a boat from "INDIANA JONES & THE LAST CRUSADE". From the same film after the THX demo,, there is a demonstration on how the sound track was created for the movie with a scene on the boat in a storm . The disc concludes with some music videos including the theme and opening scenes of the "TWIN PEAK" television series.

-Claude

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 12:12 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Laserdiscs weren't the mainstream that DVDs are now to justify charging $250 for the Star Wars Trilogy.

Did you get the Star Wars Trilogy on laserdisc? If you did it's a good thing because Lucas apparently is only releasing the Special Edition on dvd in September.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-02-2004 12:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron.

I actually own both the regular box set of the trilogy and the later one Lucas released as the 'Special Edition' with digitally edited scenes with a 5.1 soundtrack on laserdiscs. Because I was not able to find a AC-3 decoder to use with my Denon AVR 3802, I cannot listen to the 5.1 soundtrack anymore. That's ok because the trilogy is expected to be released later this year on DVD. Many have problems with Lucas for not releasing the original version of the films on DVD but I am not bothered by it at all. They are his creations and I feel he can do whatever he wants to do with the original trilogy. As one who still have the original "STAR WARS" films on laserdiscs, I am looking forward to the 'Corrected' versions with great expectations.

-Claude

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 02:07 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't your laserdisc player have a optical or coaxial digital out? The Denon should be able to play it.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-02-2004 02:36 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron,

Although my laserdisc player does have both digital outputs, the Denon does not have an AC-3 input like my Marantz outboard Dolby Digital decoder did. This seem to be the problem with many newer receivers due to the demise of laserdiscs and one's with AC-3 soundtracks. Special decoders were available that I could use with my Denon but none of my local AV dealers can help me find one. This topic has been discussed here before and I have received leads how to find a decoder but was not too successful.

-Claude

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 03:19 PM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have the original PAL releases of the Star Wars trilogy on LaserVision (analogue sound), which I later replaced with the Special Edition PAL box set. Unfortunately, PAL discs never carried Dolby Digital sound, but I remember the Pro-Logic mix being outstanding.

I don't know about the US, but RF demodulators, usually from Yamaha or Sony often appear on eBay over here. Whenever I've replaced my receiver, I've always made sure it can handle the RF feed.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 03:32 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

You could also go looking for a cheap processor/reciever with an AC3 RF in and a digital out. For demodulation, I use my old Sony SDP-E800 DD processor with the LD AC3 out connected to the RF input and the optical out connected to my Yamaha reciever. It works like a charm. I'm glad I hung onto that processor!

AJG

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-03-2004 12:53 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from the Indiana Jones clip, many other items such as .VOB files of just about every THX trailer made have appeared on various multimedia sites from time to time. One French site even had a .VOB file of the "jungle sounds" clip. With a bit of looking and a DVD burner some folks might be able to simply create their own THX demo DVD.

I still think THX is doing themselves a slight bit of disservice by not making a regular demo DVD that anyone can buy. Dolby and DTS have their demo discs available. The local Sears here in town has them constantly running on all their plasma screen TVs. With THX struggling to justify its existence in commercial theater installations it would seem like they would want to work harder at promoting the message of higher presenation standards and their brand name.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2004 02:09 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

I did come across those trailers and grabbed them. I'm glad I did because the one I went to eventually shut down.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-03-2004 05:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the same thing as well. I've got a fairly large collection of .VOB files for DTS, Dolby Digital and THX trailers (and a most of the THX ones I found were theatrical versions, not the "best sound, best picture" variety). I still haven't found a complete version of the "Simpsons" trailer though. The one I have is cut off where Grandpa Simpson complains "turn it up!"

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-03-2004 05:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron & Bobby,

I can see THX 's reason for making their demo software available to dealers and not to the public because it was designed to show off their sound system to their interested clients who are considering purchasing THX approved hardware including receivers, amps and speakers. Dolby Digital and DTS are theatrical 5.1 sound systems that have been adapted for the home theatre market and the demo products are not restricted to any kind of sound system and that it is the primary reason they are easily available to purchase.

Yes, I too prefer the theatrica THX trailers over the home video versions and as of now the only two I have is the "BROADWAY" in pro logic on my "WOW" laserdisc and the EX version of it and "TEX" on the EX demo I received from a friend the other day. Regardless of the sound system, THX demos sounds awesome in any good home theatre and that is the reason they are in such high demand.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: