Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Band of Brothers

Author Topic: Band of Brothers
William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2003 05:09 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have the the DVD box set of " Band of Brothers "? I am a huge fan and wondering any of the film-techers have it? If so what special features does it contain, any info will be helpful. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-03-2003 10:16 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sixth disc has a very intriguing 80-min documentary with the men of "Easy" Company. There is also a 30-min "featurette" on the making of the HBO series. I haven't seen that one yet.

Any specific questions you want answered?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-04-2003 08:37 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak Cinesite did the special effects work on "Band of Brothers":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/bandofbrothers/features/visual_effects.shtml

http://www.cinesite.com/?101&0&2275

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/inCamera/july2001/cinesite.shtml

http://www.cinesite.com/core/press/releases/2002/07/19-bob_emmynom.html

http://www.cinesite.com/core/press/articles/2001/10_00_01-3d_world.html

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2003 09:14 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Manny and John,

Manny, does each DVD have a making of that episode or is it have one huge making of? thanks again.

I have seen a few episodes from the library; the DVD's are all rented out so I have to get VHS [Roll Eyes] .

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-04-2003 10:20 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't call it "huge" but there is one single 30-min "Making of" documentary. That is separate from the 80-min documentary featuring interviews with actual surviving veterans of "Easy Company."

I popped in the DVD this evening and there is also a collection of 12 short-subject videos that were made by actor Ron Livingston. Each of his videos is about 4 or 5 minutes long. I haven't watched any of those yet.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2003 11:13 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Manny for the help. [thumbsup]

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2004 11:30 PM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is by FAR my favorite box set I have purchased to date. I don't have cable, and even if I did, I wouldn't pay for HBO. So when I purchased Band of Brother, I bought it completely blind. I knew it was about WWII, that Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks were executive producers. So dumping $90 on something I've never seen before was a hard choice, but a choice I will NEVER regret.

This is a long long series and takes days to watch. But when it's over you wish it would've been longer. The great thing about Band is the character development. You really being to feel for these guys and you actually miss those who don't make it. The scale of sound and effects on this film is second-to-none. Full DD or DTS sound with punch and flare to make a quality home theatre come alive. The sound design on this film is just amazing.

Basically, if you liked Saving Private Ryan, or at least the style in which it was shot, you will like Band of Brothers. The story is much better than Tom Hanks finding Private Afleck.

[Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: