Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Serial Mom

Author Topic: Serial Mom
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 04:27 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched Saturday, November 29, 2003. Letterboxed 1.66:1 non-anamorphic DVD.

This is another one of those "suspend all common sense and belief" comedies. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I found it downright hilarious at times.

The woman who appears to be a squeaky-clean mom turns out to be a serial killer. At first, I thought she was going to do the killings discretely, then display her usual squeaky-clean image at other times. She'd kill anyone for doing anything that annoyed her.

Things got ridiculous when killings were done with people as witnesses and somehow she never got in trouble. Run over someone with your car with someone watching and somehow, not get in trouble. Set a guy on fire in front of a crowd of people and not get hauled away instantly. It's just too ridiculous to believe. After a bit of watching this, you accept the fact that she's going to keep killing people and keep getting away with it, no matter when or where, even if other people around the woman figure out that she's doing it.

Still, this point aside, the whole thing is rather funny and unusual to watch. Just put your brain in neutral and this one is very enjoyable as a bizarre dark comedy.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is very important to note that SERIAL MOM is a John Waters film, and all of his films have a somewhat demented twist, and he is certainly proud of that!

I recommend PECKER and CECIL B DEMENTED as some of his newer films worth looking at. The Senator Theatre in Baltimore is featured in Cecil B Demented. Pecker is actually a very sweet family film, although with certain Waters'ian twists!

John Waters is the only director with Rikki Lake, Mink Stole and Patricia Hearst in his stock company!

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The scene where she sets the kid on fire takes place in a Baltimore club called Hammerjacks. I've been there, and probably wouldn't have cared if I saw that happen either. It's the ambience. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: