Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Ed Wood is finally coming to DVD

Author Topic: Ed Wood is finally coming to DVD
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-05-2003 11:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buena Vista is set to release a new 2-disc special edition of "Ed Wood" early February, 2004. This DVD might be of interest to those who enjoy the camp value of what has been called "the worst movie ever made": Plan 9 from Outer Space.

The film earned Martin Landau a Best Supporting Actor Academy Award. Landau did an awesome job playing Bella Lugosi, the actor most identified as Dracula in movie lore. Lugosi was to reprise his Dracula role in "Plan 9" but died early in the production. He was replaced, badly, by someone dressed as Dracula who crept around very cheap sets hiding his face with his cape.

One of the cool things about "Ed Wood" is how it captured that very strange California culture of the cold war age.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-05-2003 11:17 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!!! That will be a must-own for me. [Big Grin]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 12:05 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope all the extras have Korla Pandit music under them.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 06:28 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The region 2 release has been out for the last few months. It has some fun features. [thumbsup]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 09:07 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally!

Region 2 eh?
Where's a good (cheap) place to buy region 2?

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 05:32 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, Plan 9 wasn't the worst movie ever made. Who can forget Gigli? [Big Grin] It comes to DVD/VHS in the USA a lot sooner (12/9).

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-07-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on Bobby! You enjoyed Plan 9...admit it!

It ***IS*** the greatest "worse" movie of all time! Bar none!

>>> Phil

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll definitely be picking up ED WOOD. Loved it. Not enough saw it in the theatre, though. I'm a big fan of Criswell.

PLAN 9 is a great "bad" movie, but the worst movie ever by far is a Mexican children's film dubbed into terrible English called LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD. It was released in the '50's or '60's by K. Gordon Murray. I don't think it is available, as I heard that NAFTA renewed its Mexican copyright. Features the worst costume ever in a film for the wolf.

Check out the wolf costume!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-18-2003 11:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll definatley be picking this up too!! I have it on Laserdisc and it actually looks really nice for that ole format. Didn't Martin Landau win an oscar for his role??
Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-19-2003 12:13 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Martin Landau did indeed win the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role in the film. However, many people forget that accolade. Perhaps one reason why is some doofus running the TV broadcast of the Academy Awards that year went to commercial during Landau's acceptance speech.

I hope one "extra" on the Ed Wood DVD is what Landau would have said for his acceptance speech had the go-to-commercial music not stomped on it.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-19-2004 05:19 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's finally been released. But it's a single disc Special Edition, like region 2.
It's Bonus Features include:
  • Deleted Scenes
    Behind-The-Feature Featurette:"Let's Shoot This F#*%@r!,"
    "Making Bela: Featurette
    "Pie Plates Over Hollywood" featurette
    Featurette on the use of the theremin to create music for the Movie. And audio commentary with Tim Burton, Martin Landau, Scott Alexander etc...
    Music Video & Theatrical trailer and more!

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 02:42 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they have Ed Wood on DVD on the shelves once, & pulled it immediately?

Did they change some content? Why did they have to pull it?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: