Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Hughes DVR2 Tivo problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hughes DVR2 Tivo problem
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 05:55 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My DVR2 occasionally won't acquire information from the satelite. I'm sure it's not the dish or the multi switch becasue the other recievers work fine.

What always happens is the power goes out in the house (which seems to happen at least once a week for some reason) and then it can only acuire 25% of the information. It usually does this for about 6 hours and then it will work fine.

Anyone else have this problem?

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 09:37 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't have one yet....
What I'm wonder though, is if you can have one without the subscription part. Can't you just run it like a VCR? Set it for a time and channel or turn it on manually? I've looked at those gizmos at Costco a couple of times but another subscription payment turns me off.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 10:08 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Direct TV has been running a special on an 80 hour unit where they waive the monthly Tivo fee if you have the service package I take. Question, though, how is the video quality of the recording?

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 10:14 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To my knowledge, you cannot use the directv tivo without directv, but I could be wrong. I will check the owner's manual.

As far as image quality, for the Hughes DVR2 the image quality is exactly as it is broadcasted, 100% digital quality. However the stand alone units, particularly the ones with smaller hard drives will record at a lower quality to be able to save more. You can always upgrade, Mine came with a 40 gb HD that I changed out for a 120gb, which gives me about 108 hours fo recording.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-03-2003 07:19 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you have to carry the unit in to have the drive swapped out or are these the same drives we use in our computers? How'd you go about upgrading yours?

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 09:38 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I dont knwo how to change out the drives. my brother did it for me. I know that you need to have a computer that runs linux because the tivo runs linux. I will try to find more info.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2003 01:06 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found some sites about upgrading Tivos.

The tivos use standard HDs just like your PC. You generally want to put a 5400rpm in one. IF you use anythign faster it would be best to install extra cooling.

Weaknees

Upgrade

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-05-2003 01:44 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Thanks Chris.

Is this a DSS satellite system you have?

I still have an RCA DSS (DirecTv) satellite dish installed on my roof but I got rid of the receiver a long time ago. I'm hoping I can just buy a new receiver and use the same dish.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2003 09:16 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DVR2 that I have is a directv reciver and tivo in one. I liek it because it has a dual tuner so you can watch one channel while the other is recording, or you can watch something that is recorded while both tuners are recording.

You can use the DSS dish with a directv system. Hoever, rapid satelite is running a sale for new subscribers. You can get the DVR2 with dish and installation for $50. The reciever is $250 alone.

Rapid satelite

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-05-2003 09:33 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, once you use a Tivo *with* the subscription, you'll never go back. It makes recording your favorite shows VERY convenient. Try this with a VCR: "Find and record only the *new* episodes of Primetime Glick, but do not record any reruns. If the hard drive fills up, do not delete any episodes of Glick in favor of making space for something else." Or, "Find and record all movies with Clint Eastwood" (I think you can do that). You can literally set up a "season pass" like this one time, and never have to change it again for years, regardless of whether the show changes timeslots or even moves to a different network! [thumbsup]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2003 09:44 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My subscription costs $600-800 per year. Do you have to pay that much again to have the tivo and another subscription? Maybe I don't understand how it works

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2003 09:54 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have two tivos here and the stand alone that has a directv reciever hooked into it costs $13 a month for the tivo service or you can pay $250 for a lifetime sunscription.

The DVR2 combined unit is $5 for the access card fee, it doesnt charge me for the tivo service.

Also, if anyone is thinking of getting a dual tuner, you will need a multi switch. You can run four recievers off of a dual LNB dish, all showing different channels. A dual tuner receiver uses two of the recievers.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-06-2003 01:03 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tivo subcription fee is $12.95/mo. I'm not sure if they still do the lifetime option or not, but it was like $250 or something like that (only good on the original Tivo unit though -- can't be transferred to a newer model, if you later upgrade).

What is the $600-$800 subcription for?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2003 02:26 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A years worth of regular dish network plus local channels plus HBO ShowTime Cinemax etc. It adds up fast. It would probably be cheaper to buy one of those sneaky cards, once, but I don't have enough hacker knowledge to do it with out screw up or at least the fear of screw up

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-06-2003 02:27 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TiVo part of the subscription is only like $10 a month. I also recall reading that you can buy a lifetime subscription for something like $120 and then you'd never have to worry about paying that again...unless you added another TiVo unit to your collection.

I can't wait to get one because I can NEVER remember when my favorite shows are coming on...and, besides, DVDs have spoiled me. I prefer to watch a few episodes in one sitting and without commercial interruptions.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: