Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Patton DVD in 1.85 aspect ratio ?

Author Topic: Patton DVD in 1.85 aspect ratio ?
Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 01:53 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the DVD of Patton in a store last week-end and was surprised to see that the picture format was described as 1.85:1 on the back cover, knowing the film was shot in genuine 70mm. Is it pan&scan cropping or does the picture appear narrower because they resized the picture to compensate for the distortion created by the original Dimension-150 photography.

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-23-2003 01:41 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lionel

I have the "PATTON" DVD and it is in the original 70mm ratio or close to it. The reason you are getting a 1.85.1 ratio is due to your DVD player not properly set for for the screen you have.

-Claude

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 03:40 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

Thanks for your reply but I don't have the DVD yet so I don't have a problem with the player. I just said the cover of the DVD package I saw in a store was mentioning 1.85 ...

Regards,

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The R1 DVD release is in it's correct 2.35(4?) ratio of the 35mm transfer it was made from. Previous transfers were also from a 35mm element, but were incorrectly "cropped" to represent the original intended 2.2 ratio of a 70mm presentation, a format the video version was not transferred from. So overcropping resulted.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-23-2003 04:21 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lionel.

Many times the information on the back cover on a DVD case is wrong. The recent DVD of "HELLO DOLLY" had the indicated that the film was only in Dolby Pro logic but in actuality, it had a 4.0 Dolby Digital track. Fox is very famous for providing wrong information on their covers and in the case of the region one DVD of "PATTON", they were wrong again.

-Claude

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 07:14 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
he R1 DVD release is in it's correct 2.35(4?) ratio of the 35mm transfer it was made from. Previous transfers were also from a 35mm element, but were incorrectly "cropped" to represent the original intended 2.2 ratio of a 70mm presentation, a format the video version was not transferred from. So overcropping resulted.
Yes, but by using the 35mm version instead of the 70mm version in the transfer, you've already lost a little bit of height (6.2%).

A 70mm print of that era was supposed to be projected with an aperture of 1.913 x .868, but the groundglass markings for 35mm were 1.913 x .814 (2.35) which were then printed to .839 x .715 (x2) = 2.35 for 35mm anamorphic.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: