Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Seinfeld On DVD? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Seinfeld On DVD?
Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 08:34 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im just wondering if theyre ever going to release Seinfeld season by season on DVD. I for one am waiting very patiently for this to happen but I have no clue if it ever will. Im sure theres plenty of others like me that are anxious for this. Any thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 08:50 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's been announced, I recall a thread on the home theater forum about it. I'm just glad Married With Children is finally coming though!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-16-2003 03:57 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been informally announced that it will come out. Jerry is prepping the extras for the DVD, however it is not known when it will be released. Sony has distribution rights to the series and has not announced an actual date.

Take into account that Seinfeld is a hot ticket on the syndication circuit right now, and they may choose to delay any DVD release if the numbers stay high. It does them little good if the syndication numbers go down after a DVD release.

DVD seasons are quite often released to take up the income slack when people stop watching the reruns. They also help to spur renewed interest in actually watching MORE reruns. However, a popular one can be drastically hurt if they release them on DVD when they are already on top of the heap.

It would be like releasing a movie on DVD, then in the theaters. It would be bassackwards.

Give it time, they will come, albeit very slowly.

Then all will be right with the world.

I would suspect that one will come out just in time for christmas shopping, then again, who knows?

Dave

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 11:01 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they clean up the video quality a bit for the DVD release. When I was working at a station that ran syndication reruns of Seinfeld, I noticed the picture looked sort of grainy -- like they were using a dub of a dub to uplink on the satellite. Other shows from Columbia (Sony) such as The Nanny that the station showed looked fine. (I never watched Seinfeld on NBC, so maybe it looked that way all along.)

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-23-2003 08:27 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I was working at a station that ran syndication reruns of Seinfeld, I noticed the picture looked sort of grainy...
Early Seinfeld seasons were NOT shot on Kodak film:

http://www.soc.org/opcam/03_sp93/mg03_seinfeld.html

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-03-2003 08:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel,
Geez, I've yet to see a Seinfeld episode that looks grainy. I've been watching the show just about since its been on TV and it always looked great. JP is trying to blame that grain on the Agfa stuff but I don't thnk so.....Agfa stock is used on alot of stuff and can look great.
Perhaps a misadjusted monitor, or poor downlink in your station or something....
Mark

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-03-2003 09:36 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the time, Agfa did have more graininess.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-18-2003 11:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
I never noticed any bad grain on Seinfeld...I've always owned a projection or rear screen TV of some sort....never noticed it. As for the Agfa stuff.... I can only remember how nice Out OF Africa looked. Even the 70mm blow ups were incredible.

As for the look of it at the TV station....could be a bit too much aperature correction set up into the monitor. Too much aperature correction could make it look like there is alot of grain. Sometimes this is a difficult to perform adjustment on older monitors and cameras.
Mark

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2003 01:52 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Take into account that Seinfeld is a hot ticket on the syndication circuit right now, and they may choose to delay any DVD release if the numbers stay high. It does them little good if the syndication numbers go down after a DVD release.
I forgot where I read it, but some TV shows which are still in syndication saw an INCREASE in the ratings once the shows were released on DVD. It does require careful planning, though.

Two shows that are quick to come to memory are "Futurama", which is in syndication on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. When Season 1 was released on DVD, the network aired episodes from Season 2, and so on. I think ratings went up 30%. The other one is "Family Guy", same situation.

I wonder if the Married With Children series will include glasses for the 3D episode! [Cool]

=TMP=

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2003 10:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh oh, Bad news for the DVD set....
Here..... http://money.cnn.com/2003/12/23/news/companies/seinfeld_dvd/index.htm?cnn=yes

I'd still buy it though....
Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-24-2003 09:10 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Whaaaa...whaaaa. What a bunch of cry babies! Sour grapes!

I couldn't care less if they "participate". [puke]

I will buy the DVD for episodes. [beer]

>>> Phil

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-26-2003 03:03 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kramer will be on the DVD.

quote:

Kramer Cracks in "Seinfeld" Feud
By Julie Keller

Kramer has crossed the Seinfeld picket line.

Michael Richards, the beloved, wacky star of the much-Emmyd comedy series has broken ranks with costars Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dreyfus and decided to participate in an upcoming DVD about the show.

Until now, all three stars have passed on participating in the project due to financial woes—reps for all three actors have said their clients were unhappy with their payoffs from the continually successful show and they didnt want to work for free.

But Richards finally caved to pressure after talking things over with series star Jerry Seinfeld over the weekend. He does maintain that he would like to receive some cash for participating, particularly since others like Seinfeld, co-creator Larry David (news) and several others involved in production are still making money on the show.

"I think everyone wants to get paid," Richards told the New York Times. "Is it honorable for those on the inside to make compensation? That's an ethical question they have to deal with. But I never heard back from anybody."

It seems unlikely that Kramer will cash in for his participation, since actors dont generally get paid on residual deals like DVDs. "I innocently asked a question. 'Is there some compensation?' I don't believe there is," Richards told the Times. "There isn't anything."

Still, Richards says he is going to do his part to make the DVD a success. "I'm not boycotting," he told the Times. "I'm involved. I was never called to do an interview. I am so for the DVD coming out that I'll go on the Tonight show."

Elizabeth Clark, a rep for Seinfeld, says the actor still has hope that the erstwhile George and Elaine will come around and that he plans to get in touch with them in the New Year. "He hopes they will participate in the DVD," she said in a statement.

But whether Alexander and Louis-Dreyfus sign on or not, the DVD is likely to be a smashing success. Seinfeld was consistently a No. 1 show and a mainstay of "Must-See TV" on NBC throughout its run from 1990 to 1998. Even today, it still runs relentlessly in syndication and generates millions for its Seinfeld and David, co-creators and executive producers.

Seinfeld, meanwhile, is having no trouble keeping his pockets lined even without the help of his hit show.

The star has landed a deal to write, produce and star in Bee Movie, a computer-animated feature-length flick for DreamWorks.

Source: Yahoo!

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2004 09:11 AM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dreyfus were the weak link of the show anyway.What crybabies they still collect one hundred thousand dollars each year for the show! Hell I rather hear George's parents and Jerry's parents on the DVD than these two greedy snits.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2004 03:59 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: source
LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- The first three seasons of "Seinfeld" are coming to DVD November 23, just in time for Festivus.

The episodes will be available in two four-DVD volumes as well as combined in a boxed gift set. Each volume will include about 12 hours of new content and have a suggested list price of $49.95, said the set's Sony-owned distributor, Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment.

The gift set will have a list price of $199.95 and will include such quirky extras as a limited-edition script from co-creator Larry David, "Monk's Diner" salt-and-pepper shakers and collectible playing cards.

In all, 40 original episodes are included in these releases, including such notables entries as "The Chinese Restaurant," "The Pez Dispenser" and "The Boyfriend" two-parter featuring Keith Hernandez.

Amid recent reports that key cast members Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Michael Richards and Jason Alexander might not participate in the added content of the DVDs, negotiations "lasted about two minutes," said "Seinfeld" executive producer Howard West. He said they agreed to take part in the project in exchange for participation in the profits of future DVDs.

Columbia TriStar president Ben Feingold said "Seinfeld's" marketing budget "will be enormous and will be similar to any of the big feature films released in the fourth quarter this year."

"We've been working on this for a couple of years," Feingold said, adding that the episodes have been newly enhanced in high definition for the DVD release. "We're continuing work on the entire property, including subsequent seasons."

Extra features on the releases include audio commentaries from cast members, deleted scenes and never-aired stand-up comedy footage of Jerry Seinfeld, who created the series with David.

West said promotional partners on the DVD-only releases would include America Online, Microsoft, Coca-Cola and Regal Theatres in addition to such mass retailers as Wal-Mart and Target. Regal will feature onscreen ads for the DVDs beginning in November. He added that the studio also plans to cross-trailer "Seinfeld" on the DVD release of "Spider-Man 2."

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-09-2004 05:54 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The gift set will have a list price $199.95
I got an e-mail from Sony Style about the Seinfeld DVD release today. But they have the gift set price at $119.95 which includes all the above mentioned items plus a metal napkin dispenser. And a pre-order price of $89.95.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: