Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » All That Jazz (DVD)

Author Topic: All That Jazz (DVD)
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 07:33 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought this one. What can I say about it? It's an editors nightmare that makes total sense to me. Roy Scheider as Joe Gideon, the driven perfectionist.

Bob Fosse was an incredible talent.

It looks and sounds good.

Extras on the DVD:

Short interviews with Roy Scheider, and some on-the-set filmings of Fosse looking at shot angles during the 'cattlecall' sequence at the beginning of the film.

An oddity: Several trailers of other Fox releases: Sound Of Music, Oklahoma,! The Rose, etc. All of the films are represented by a trailer, with the exception of Oklahoma! It uses the 1980's Samuel Goldwyn Company trailer that has no shots from the film, just the cornfield. No trailer available?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 07:48 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ATJ is one of my favorite movies. I'm also a big FOSSE fan.

Fosse lovers should also check out the FOSSE DVD from Image. It is a recorded Broadway show with spectacular dancing and one of the finest sound tracks I have. Best recording of a Broadway orchestra I've ever heard.

The final sequence of ATJ is incredible. It ties the entire story together by bringing back various players. BYE BYE LOVE was an inspired choice for music. Notice the orchestra here is a Broadway sized group. And Jessica Lange is wonderfully sensual. One of the sexiest performances ever, in my opinion, and no nudity.

Never saw a stereo print of this, so its nice to here it now. Right now, BYE BYE LOVE and CELL BLOCK TANGO from CHICAGO are my favorite Turn It UP pieces.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 05:31 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only nudity is some boobs in the airplane production number.
Also, a quick shot of Victoria Porter topless.

Maybe a total of 5-6 boobs.
Ran it again last night. Played Bye Bye Love at high volume.

[ 09-14-2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Bruce McGee ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: