Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "HELLO DOLLY" (DVD)

Author Topic: "HELLO DOLLY" (DVD)
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-06-2003 07:26 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beside the classic musicals including "MY FAIR LADY", "SOUND OF MUSIC", "CAMELOT" and a few others, I have always loved "HELLO DOLLY". I first saw the film at Honolulu's Cinerama Theatre in 70mm Todd AO and loved every minute of it. I think the movie was released twice on laserdisc and the last time it came out on that format was with a AC3 (Dolby 5.1) soundtrack. I recall buying both versions and remember shelling out $40.00 for the last version on laser. The picture and the sound quality was wonderful on the 12 inch discs but cannot come close to the new DVD version which I just added to my collection. The Forty dollar laserdisc featured the movie only on three sides of the two disc set and did not feature any extras. The DVD I bought at Costco for less than $10.00 featured all of the movie, a production feature that looks like a over long trailer and the actual theatrical trailer for the film and three other Fox musicals including the "SOUND OF MUSIC' in the scope version. HELLO DOLLY" like the laserdisc is in the 2.20.1 70mm aspect ratio picture and I do not know if the source material was from a 35mm or a 70mm print but it's clarity and contrast looks like it was from the larger format. The cover states the sound is Dolby surround but it is actually Dolby 4.0. Like the theatrical presentation, the sound is very active in the front sound field with very little surround effects. If"HELLO DOLLY" is also one of your favorite musical film,the $15.00 retail price is a bargain.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 04:28 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was on time -
Then we will just have to wait for the region 2 copyes to get out over here. I have been waiting a long time for this to happen. Both Dolly and Camelot will be very welcome on my shelf - and more on my screen. -It's 22 years ago now, since I last ran Dolly (in 70mm), but I believe to remember much life in the surround. -As You say, Claude - the mix in the front is great - allready that early scene with Wandergelder's barber and the young. loving pair: dialouge really following the persons from speaker to speaker, and banging in the door in far right speaker, when Matthau denies her to wed Ambroose. -Hope It will be here soon !
Camelot the same, although this is a 35 blowup. A truly wonderful film, whith great players - not the proudest voices, but they charm their way through all those fine songs. Never was Vanessa more beautiful !

Per

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 09:05 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Per, you remeember correctly. There was much surround information with both the chorus and orchestra throughout. I got to see the film in 70mm last fall with the original Todd-AO mix (transferred to special venue DTS format). A great experience.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2003 08:17 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolly landed on dvd in Denmark this week. -Of course, I couldn't tell if this comes from the same master as Your dvds over there, but this one is from 35mm material. The 70mm prints had a "Todd-AO" text during opening titles before the color system credit, but the 35mm prints had the color credit standing on screen double time instead. Looks nice, but - as Barbra sings: "Dolly will never be the same again" - until the 70mm print turns up. -Lucky You over there once more !

Per

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2003 08:41 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a fan of the famous "Freed Unit" MGM musicals, Dolly has always been a favorite--as long as you can forget Streisand's politics! Check out the credits, from Gene Kelly directing to Jack Martin Smith's art direction to Bobby Tucker, Lennie Hayton et al on the musical direction and Sharaff's costumes--it's like a who's who of the old MGM musical team. I haven't checked out the DVD or Laser, but my 16mm roadshow print has spectacular sound even if it is mono. I play it through a QSC 850 bi-amping an 18" Yamaha sub and Yamaha PA "stage speaker" with subharmonic synthesizer and eq, and it's a treat to hear.

John H Marsden
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2003 06:11 AM      Profile for John H Marsden   Email John H Marsden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very interesting what you are all saying about "HELLO DOLLY"
I have the DVD what cost me $29.00 (AUST) and the sound is 4.00 sound I have had over a year now. last week I was in one of our cheap family stores and notice that they had "HELLO DOLLY" DVD out for $14.00 (AUST) and it was recorded in 5.1 sound! hmmmm whats going on?? new version recorded???? dont know..

bye for now

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-08-2003 01:31 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The US region 1 release of "Hello Dolly" is a 4.0 mix, even with the package saying Dolby 2.0 and the region 2 said 4.0 on the package that I saw. It had a better artwork cover.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: