Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "The Pink Panther Film Collection" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "The Pink Panther Film Collection"
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2003 07:43 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Denmark, MGM has just released this box with five feature films and one extra material disc, which I ordered without hesitation. Today it arrived, getting one big minus from start: The original PP film no 3 "Return of the PP" (1975, co-starring Christopher Plummer and with the magnificent Acme Pool Service stunt) is not there. In stead, as disc no 5, they include the horrible "Trail of PP" made from old clips after Sellers' dead. [Mad]

Did they do so to You out there in the world ?

p.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-12-2003 09:34 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per,

Here in the US, MGM does not have the video rights to "Return of the Pink Panther". It's with a company called Artisan Entertainment.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2003 12:39 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spooky - It was a United Artists thing from the start like all the others. -That must be the explanation, thanks.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2003 01:44 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Return of the Pink Panther" is the only one worth watching IMO. When I saw it I was like 10 and I loved it. Thought it was the funniest movie I have ever seen.

It can still hold it's own against the likes of Austin Powers and Naked Guns movies.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2003 02:17 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was a United Artists thing from the start like all the others
No it wasn't! Return was produced by a different company than the other films in the series. Hence the different home video distributors as Bill explained.

[ 08-12-2003, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Michael Coate ]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-12-2003 06:54 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While "Return" is arguably a great one, I have to disagree. "A Shot In The Dark", the original movie that sent Inspector Cleauseau (sic) on his rampant ways. If you have not seen it, then you are the anti-christ.

Dave

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-12-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"A Shot In The Dark" , original movie
  • The Pink Panther series:
  • The Pink Panther March of 1964
    A Shot in The Dark July of 1964
    Return of the Pink Panther 1975
    The Pink Panther Strikes Again 1976
    Revenge of the Pink Panther 1978
    Trail of the Pink Panther 1982
    Curse of the Pink Panther 1984
    Son of the Pink Panther 1993
    Inspector Clouseau June of 1968 with Alan Arkin
My favorite one is like Dave said is "A Shot in the Dark". The second in the famous series. The only Panthers that count are the Peter Sellers ones. [thumbsup]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2003 08:19 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the PINK PANTHER was shot in large-format Technirama to boot!

BTW, RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER was an ITC production distributed theatrically (U.S./Canada) by United Artists. I was able to pick this up for around 10 bucks to complete my Peter Sellers collection.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2003 11:13 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ITC mark on my VHS too - Yep. What I meant from start was that UA distributed around here for theatrical showings. Sorry for confusion. -The next and biggest question is, when somebody will send it out over here on dvd - the fabulous number 3.

Its possible that the old ones were best --then...
But watching them again today, both DLP1 and Shot have lost much, i think.

-------------------------

Does Your doeg bite ??

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-13-2003 11:56 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mancini Stamp to be unveiled

A commemorative stamp saluting TV and Film music composer Henry Mancini will be unveiled Aug 16th during the Henry Mancini Musicale in Los Angeles. "The Late Late Show's Craing Kilborn will host. Mr Mancini composed many TV themes, hit songs and film scores. Among his credits are "THe Pink Panther" and "Peter Gunn". The Mancini stamp, which the U.S. Postal Service will issue next spring, features a painting by artist Victor Stabin.

from TelevisionWeek Aug 11th 2003
TVweek.com

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-15-2003 12:39 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The information I had, from American Movie Classics, is wrong then. I had been led to believe that "Shot" was the first one.

Why were the two released so close together with just four months apart? Were they produced at the same time? Anyone know?

Dave

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 01:23 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first PP was planned as a "David Niven crime comedy" with Clouseau being a supporting caracter, played by Peter Ustinov and with Ava Gardner as Madame Clouseau. Gardner dropped the role in good time, but Ustinow went a couple of days before shooting was to start in Rome. Someone on the team recommended Sellers, who said yes with almost no warning - and almost took over the whole production.
A Shot in the Dark was not planned as a PP sequel at all, but a production all of its own. Sellers had second thoughts - didn't like the story and wanted out of it, but turned to Edwards, asking him to direct. The two of them got the idea, that Shot might be rescuable, if rewritten and with Clouseau written in in stead of original police-figure. That's what they did - Sellers still didn't like it - not even the finished picture, and Sellers and Edwards fought so much on the way, that they would not work again together.
And that, little ones is a true story - as a matter of fact told by Mr Edwards himself on the Box's extra disc [Cool]

p.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 01:44 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they work together again on the Party which was several years after the Panthers?

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 01:57 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why were the two [The Pink Panther and A Shot In The Dark] released so close together with just four months apart?
I believe The Pink Panther has a 1963 copyright and may have been released in other parts of the world before getting released in the U.S., so that four month difference may only represent how the films got released in the U.S.

quote:
Sellers and Edwards fought so much [during A Shot In The Dark], that they would not work again together.
This is obviously untrue (unless I'm misunderstanding your comment) since they went on to work together on three additional Pink Panther movies plus The Party as mentioned in the previous post.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing Edwards' Larry King interview (well, actually reading the transcript), and he spoke fondly of Sellers, though he did say he was extremely hard to work with. Also, Edwards mentioned the outtakes were hilarious (I believe he was referring to the PP and SITD) and that he had them. It's shame they were put on the DVDs as an extra.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: