Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "HOUSE OF WAX" DVD is better than expected

Author Topic: "HOUSE OF WAX" DVD is better than expected
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-06-2003 06:17 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first saw "HOUSE OF WAX" in Natural Vision 3-D at the Liberty Theatre in Honolulu during it first run in 1953 and was very impressed with both the movie and the dual projection presentation. The movie was finally released on DVD yesterday and although not in 3-D, I thought the film itself was very enjoyable like the first time I saw it. What makes this DVD a treat is the inclusion of the original 1933 film "MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM" starring Lionel Atwil and Fay Wray in the original two strip Technicolor process. "HOUSE OF WAX". Although not in the special photographic process, features the original stereo soundtrack which was used at selected venues in large major cities like Los Angeles and New York during it's first run showing. Beside the two movies, the DVD features newsreel clips of the world premiere and the theatrical trailer promoting it's 3-D presentation with only graphics. Although showing signs of age, the color was good and so was the stereo sound. "The two strip Technicolor process in "MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM" was very interesting. It looked pale and did not have that very striking look of the three strip process but it was more than acceptable.

By the way, I saw "HOUSE OF WAX" again many years later in the single strip Polaroid 3-D process and I must admit, I was not impressed like I was when I first saw the film. How I wish I could see this movie again next month at the Egyptian Theatre in Los Angeles in the original Natural Vision 3-D process.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2003 06:34 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claude.

When I worked in TV film back in the late 1970's, we ran Mystery Of The Wax Museum in B/W from a B/W print because we were told by UA (the distributor back then) that there were no color prints available of any kind. In the early 1980's they must have found one, because WTBS in Atlanta ran it from a slightly faded 16mm print.

We ran House Of Wax, too. Many of our runs were from old IB 16mm prints. They were well-used, but looked great on the air, usually...

I'll be looking for a DVD of House Of Wax.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-06-2003 07:10 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the early 1980's they must have found one.
They found a print that had been taken from the Warner Lot by an employee. That had worked on the lot for a few years. This person was a film collector. Who also had a few more other missing prints and footage from the Warner. It turned out he had taken them to add to his collection. The FBI/MPAA raided his storage lockers and recovered these print for Warner.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2003 08:11 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although not in the special photographic process, features the original stereo soundtrack which was used at selected venues in large major cities like Los Angeles and New York during it's first run showing.
Actually, the original magnetic stereo masters were long ago lost. With the exception of the mono surround track, which was optically placed on one of the left/eye right/eye reels (the other reel contained the combined mono mix)the stereo track is a remixed, re-channeled affair.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-10-2003 12:21 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

I have heard fake stereo from mono films and disliked many of them but the sound on the "HOUSE OF WAX" DVD sounded very good. There were a few parts when directional sound effects was used such as the time when Vincent Price's business partner threw a chair at him after starting a fire in the museum very early in the film. The crashing of the chair could be heard from my rear surround speaker. I thought that was very cool!

Did you pick up the DVD yet?

-Claude

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2003 01:17 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I haven't picked it up yet. I usually wait for titles to be later re-priced (at least lately). I should have clarified above that the surviving mono optical surround track was preserved and used (at least on the 70mm 6-track mag re-release version of the early 70's.) The re-mix was used for the stage channels only (also can only verify on the 70mm re-issue that placed the two images side by side). Its very possible this remix was done off the original mag stereo music recordings. It's the actual original completed stereo mix that no longer exists (save for that surround track).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: