Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Buying a non-region 1 player? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Buying a non-region 1 player?
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2003 09:53 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because of the way they release things in other regions and not here I've been thinking of buying a dvd player from either region 4 or region 2 (I think, England, right?) I have a plasma display tv that makes reference to playing PAL format stuff, so I guess the decision is which region to buy from. I guess Europe gets a little better selection than region 4 but I don't know. Anyone got a suggestion?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2003 10:02 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, I really wouldn't bother trying to get a region-specific player. You can buy an all-region player from various sources that can be found on the net, or you can look for a modifiable player. A list of some of the players and what is required for modification can be found here . I have had good experiences with cheap Apex players. They can be made all-region, some can have macrovision overridden, and most will convert PAL to NTSC quite well. I think there may even be a modifiable progressive scan Apex on the market.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-06-2003 10:09 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg

There are multi-region players on the market. That can play all regions, not just the regions you mentioned in your post. There is a DVD store here in NYC that sells a few decks. They also have a lot of discs from different regions in the store. They also have a way the disable the macro-vision on the deck.

I have to remember the brand name of the deck. Because one of the APEX decks was getting a lot of return at their stores.

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2003 11:52 AM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WA state? You're not far from Vancouver, B.C. where you can get an all-zone (PAL and NYSC) and Karaoke player for $165 Cdn.(tax included)in Chinatown. And check out the Hong Kong discs at $7.99 Cdn for recent action titles and Shaw Brothers classics.
Discs ordered from Bensons (UK) have arrived as quickly as 6th day from placing the order. Using Amazon.com's England shop also got quick results. Discs from France don't seem to have English subtitles.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-06-2003 12:36 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one of the early Apex's, the AD-600A. It overheated and died on me after about two years, but it was cheap. The current Apex 1500's seem to be better (we use them in the anime club here) and can be modded to play any region by just playing the upgrade off of a CD-ROM. Very cheap and readily available.

My current machine is the Cyber Home CH-DVD 500, which I've had for about eight months now. It plays any region RCE or not, PAL (without geometry errors) or NTSC, Macrovision defeatable, progressive scan output (the cheaper 402 is interlaced), DVD-Rs, VCDs and SVCDs, MP3s, and JPEGs straight out of the box. It runs cool and makes better pictures than (and should last longer than) my old Apex (though that's not saying much [Smile] ). Cheap and available at Radio Shack, may still be available at Best Buy, certainly available on-line.

[ 08-07-2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2003 09:24 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
Really? You can just go buy it at Radio Shack??? In the US?

Ron
I might run up to Vancover for an MR2 auto show in a couple of weeks. Can you tell me more about where to look? Vancover is a big town

Joe
Thanks for the link. I book marked it [Smile]

Paul Mayer

- posted 08-06-2003 11:49 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, as of the last time I checked (a few months ago) yes at Radio Shack. Also currently at Fry's. They were at Best Buy too for $59 back in January. The region and Macrovision features are not advertised or mentioned anywhere, but are accessible through "undocumented" button sequences on the remote. You can read up on this player and download the key sequences at http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/ . Scroll down and click on the Cyberhome thread.

Cyberhome has also been real good about updating their BIOS as bugs are reported. Just download it from their download site, burn it to disc and play it into the 500.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 09:15 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Phillips Q50, I wonder if there are any secret buttons on that one?

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 02:17 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,

If you have a computer DVD-ROM, you can change the region on it a limited number of times (I think 5 or 6) before it locks itself into the last region you entered. One of my drives is set at Region 1, and the second one was never set by the factory, making it currently All-Region! [Cool]

=TMP=

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,

it`s not worth the money. Except for some special genres (like Eurotrash films), the Region 2 market is always one step behind the Region 1 releases.

Even with european films, you will find better releases in the U.S.
When I had to buy the german Werner Herzog films (FITZCARRALDO, AGUIRRE etc.), I couldn`t get them in R2, had to buy them through Amazon (US).

I have also noticed that on some R2 releases special features are missing compared to the R1 version, and sometimes R2 DVDs do not even carry the original language version. (My THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY disc has no Italian, no English dialogue track. LA FEMME NIKITA has no french track, no special features, and so on.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 06:37 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What got me going on this is that everybody else in the whole wide world (besides region 1) gets the Boxset of Season 2 of Farscape. I see it is in region 4 and I think region 2 for sure. Also I think season 2 of Twin Peaks is out in region 2 and also the original pilot. If I can get a zone free player for the above mentioned $39.95 it would be worth it as a second player just to play the occasional odd stuff I can't get in the US. That's why I originally thought of just buying one from England or New Zealand. Then I wouldn't have to monkey with my Q50. Just unplug it and plug in the other one. I wish they'd just stop the baloney and sell everything everywhere.

Paul Mayer

- posted 08-12-2003 10:29 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another candidate just popped up: Toshiba SD-3900. New model, $99 at Best Buy, plays any region OOB via remote keystrokes, progressive scan. Does not have built-in Dolby Digital or DTS decoding. Better picture and probably built better than the Cyber Home.

Relevent DVD Talk thread here.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 02:07 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian wrote:

quote:
Except for some special genres (like Eurotrash films), the Region 2 market is always one step behind the Region 1 releases. (...) When I had to buy the german Werner Herzog films (FITZCARRALDO, AGUIRRE etc.), I couldn`t get them in R2, had to buy them through Amazon (US). (...) and sometimes R2 DVDs do not even carry the original language version. (My THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY disc has no Italian, no English dialogue track. LA FEMME NIKITA has no french track
Christian, are you sure you searched everywhere for your DVDs? Sometimes I check european Amazon website for a DVD, can't find it, but if I go to a local store and ask, they've got it or can order it!

Regarding the quality of DVDs, R2 releases can be excellent, using high Kb rates and anamorphic 16:9, sometimes with both Dolby and DTS tracks in the same DVD set.

As for languages, I never saw a DVD in Belgium where the original language is not part of the set. I would even say that English (for films where English was the original language) is the main language. For example, here in Belgium, you'll get Dolby 5.1 in subtitled English along with Dolby 5.1 in dubbed French. When they want to release audio tracks for more languages (some editions here have dialogs in up to 5 languages), English is the main one with Dolby 5.1 and the others are in Dolby 2.0 or mono.

However I agree that release dates are often more in advance in the US so I think the titles Greg refers to are exceptions. I'd also recommend Greg to buy an all-region player as well.

BTW, since you're keen on the Herzog movies, could you recommend a decent R2 edition of his Nosferatu?

Thanks and bye,
Lionel

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-04-2003 03:31 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone with a computer DVD drive (OK, not exactly on-topic here) should check this out...

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

The company is based in Antigua, and (for now) seems to be ignoring the DMCA.
The program lets you play any region DVD on a Windows system - the site stresses the ability to copy a disk as well, but I'm thinking of trying it to play some region locked Japanese DVDs I've acquired.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 11:43 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got one of those Cyberhome 500s for $69.95 but haven't done "the change" with it yet.
Of course the day after I ordered it and the season 2 boxset of Farscape, ADV writes and says the are going to release Season 2 boxset of Farscape in Oct.
I did have the pleasure of telling them that" You guys screwed around too long. I bought a region 4 boxset and region free player. Next time don't wait so long"
Hey whats that FBI car doing in my driveway?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: