Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Lawrence of Arabia (Superbit) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lawrence of Arabia (Superbit)
Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 06:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very happy to hear recently that Columbia/TriStar is preparing a "Superbit" DVD version of Lawrence of Arabia for release in early September. Robert A. Harris wrote a column for thedigitalbits.com in which he talks about the new release.
quote:
Sony Pictures and Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment have given their full support and cooperation to this project. Enough cannot be said of the extremely diligent efforts of Crisp and his team, without which the production of this DVD would not have been possible.

I fully expect this to be an awesome release.

This is very good to hear. I was never really satisfied with the previous two-disc set. The image quality was pretty good, but not as good as it should have been.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-05-2003 07:08 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine show alittle of it when it was being worked on here in Manhattan. He said it looks AWESOME too. [thumbsup]

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 02:44 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, I have the 2-disc set you mentioned. What exactly don't you like with the picture quality? I saw the film twice at a theatre in 70mm and thought the picture was well rendered on the DVD.

But I admit my father watched the DVD with me and didn't like the picture quality that much. So you're the second person to find a problem there. Was it colors?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-01-2003 11:32 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Harris talked about some of the problems with the original 2-disc DVD in the Digital Bits article. The main issues with the old transfer were overuse of edge enhancement and some improper color on the transfer.

The new 2-disc Superbit release will sport a brand new HD-based video transfer and a higher video bitrate. Edge enhancement is kept to a minimum and the color will be more in line to the 1989 70mm restoration release.

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2003 01:52 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problems were color timing, inclusive of density problems, a main title sequence which blurred across the screen, and for a kicker...

two sequences in which the audio was recut by tech supposedly hired by the studo to "clean up" hiss and and noise. Of course hiss is part of the audio. During this process, the highly skilled technician apparently heard a bit of right channel drop out, which has been part of the mix since 1962, and proceeded to re-cut muisc cues.

Had David been alive, he would have left this individual a gelding.

RAH

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rented the 2 dvd set from blockbuster and the second part would not play in my player. Bb didn't have another dvd of it so I had to switch to a vhs pan-scan version to finish watching the movie. [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown]
What do you mean by "SUPERBIT"?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-08-2003 04:48 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got the new Superbit "Lawrence of Arabia" in today.
It looks fantastic, better than the other release version.
I guess Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment does great work, but they made a nice mistake on the silver Superbit outer jacket and the main package. They made a typo on Mr. Harris name.

Restoration Produced & Reconstructed by Robert A. Harns and Jim Painten

What is Superbit?

Currently, DVDs are available with high quality picture and audio, plus special features. Superbit DVD is pure picture and sound with no limitations. Superbit optimizes the picture and sound quality by utilzing the disc space allocated to audio streams and added value features. It's a visual and senory thrill ride sure to heighten your next movie watching experience. Superbit DVDs utilize a special high bit rate digital transfer process to encode movies at double the normal DVD bit rate. By converting the full physical space of the disc. Superbit DVD delivers the best picture and audio quality available on the market today.

This is from the insert inside of the package. In order to achieve a Superbit quality picture and to optimize the bit rate, the Entre'acte (Intermission) is approximately 27 minutes into the second disc.

[ 09-08-2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 05:48 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's full bit DTS sound and zero extras as well.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 08:06 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Groovy!
I went ahead and purchased a new DVD player with versa tilt correction and Progresive scan, etc. I will buy the new dvd set and try again.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 07:32 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Aaron, I have the 2-disc set you mentioned. What exactly don't you like with the picture quality? I saw the film twice at a theatre in 70mm and thought the picture was well rendered on the DVD.
Aside from the problems already mentioned (whoa, RAH is on film-tech!), I noticed excessive compression problems on the original 2-disc set. For example, look near the beginning of the attack on Aqaba, when the guard is ringing the bell. The tents in the background are surrounded by noisy compression artifacts that pulse with each keyframe.

I was a little surprised to see this review on DVDFile.com complaining about haloing on the new disc. The comparison screenshot does show a little more ringing on the new disc, although it is just a single frame. Hopefully it will turn out to be just a minor thing.

Patrick J. McCart
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2004 11:54 PM      Profile for Patrick J. McCart   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick J. McCart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, here is a comparison of one of the more obvious re-timings:

http://www.iownjoo.com/freeimghost/pmccart/lawrencecomp1.JPG

(Note: This is meant only to show the difference in color timing.)

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2004 08:15 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Superbit has] full bit DTS sound and zero extras as well.
Actually, the DTS tracks on the Superbit DVDs have all been half bitrate (754 kbps) rather than "full" bitrate (1509). Some Superbits have supplemental material, in which case they are branded "Superbit Deluxe."

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-13-2004 06:52 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember the last time a DVD was released with a 1509kb/s DTS audio track. My guess would Fox's DTS/DD version of "The Thin Red Line," a release which is at least a couple years old.

It seems like if you want a "full bitrate" DTS track, the only new sources you're going to find are in some new Fox D-VHS "D-Theater" releases.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2004 09:22 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't remember the last time a DVD was released with a 1509kb/s DTS audio track. My guess would Fox's DTS/DD version of "The Thin Red Line," a release which is at least a couple years old.

It seems like if you want a "full bitrate" DTS track, the only new sources you're going to find are in some new Fox D-VHS "D-Theater" releases.

Bitrate data is included in Widescreen Review's DVD reviews (on the Web site but not in print)....

Since the release of The Thin Red Line I'm aware of over 30 Region 1 DVDs have been released with a full bitrate DTS track. Most of them are concerts and Large Format titles. The only feature film I'm aware of is the Millennium Edition of Re-Animator.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-13-2004 11:30 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Do you or anyone else know the bitrate for the DTS edition of "DANTE'S PEAK" on DVD? I have the movie on a full bit DTS laserdisc but I would like to get the DVd version for the better picture quality . The DVD is now priced at $14.95 and if it features the full bitrate, it would be worth picking up. I was told, the disc is dual layered. The DTS version is on one layer and the Dolby 2.0 version is on the other and there are no other extra stuff except for subtitles

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: