Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Dragonslayer (1981) on DVD at last!

Author Topic: Dragonslayer (1981) on DVD at last!
Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2003 02:32 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, happy day! Amazon says it's coming October 21. This was one of my childhood favorites. Too bad I never got to see it in theaters. I bet it would have kicked ass as a 70mm blow-up. Although since it is such a slowly paced movie and I was so young at the time of its original release, I doubt I would have been able to sit through it without squirming.

I hope the transfer is good. This will be the first time I've ever seen it in its proper aspect ratio!

edit: Oh, and here is the old Cinefex magazine cover featuring the dragon.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-30-2003 03:08 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in 70MM at the Mann's Hollywood Theatre. It was a very nice looking print. That theatre was not one of the best 70 houses.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2003 06:40 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to the 70mm Six-Track Dolby Stereo presentations mentioned above, Dragonslayer was released in a few theatres in a long-forgotten audio format called "Vistasonic," a discrete, multi-channel, optical-based format.

As far as I can tell, the Vistasonic system was installed in no more than a dozen theatres, and only two films (plus some tests) are known to have used the format. (Popeye was the other.)

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2003 11:56 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I saw it in 70MM at the Mann's Hollywood Theatre. It was a very nice looking print. That theatre was not one of the best 70 houses.
Bill, I assume you mean because of the small screen at the end of a very long, narrow hall. As far as the quality of the image projected, I found it to be just about perfect on my three visits (BLADE RUNNER (70mm), THE BLUE LAGOON (4-track mag), DEAL OF THE CENTURY (Dolby Stereo).

This theatre certainly didn't SHOUT 70mm, though! Cheap cramped seats, those PA system style surrounds Mann just LOVED. And, as I said, the little screen at the end of the shoebox (this was the first theatre in Hollywood, I believe, dating back to the teens).

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-03-2003 10:46 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

If you remember this theatre was a very fast conversion to 70MM, because of "Star Wars" in 1977. The Simplex 35/70 machines, ate more film then any theatre on Hollywood Blvd. They were proto-type machines, a friend has one of them now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: