Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Need a new receiver. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Need a new receiver.
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 07:34 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it happened. My 100 watt Sony receiver that has been trouble for almost 8 years has finally done it. I got smoke. The right channel is out, and multitudes of burned parts tell me that I dont want to fix it again.

In another post, I thought my Cerwin-Vega speakers were causing the problems. Naah. The amp died while it was connected to a pair of 100 watt dummy loads, and a scope, and signal generator. Before it died, there was distortion on all channels.

I need something that can handle a pair of 200 watt C-V speakers. It needs to have surround sound, video switching, etc.

The current Sony set-up was a STR-D715 if this helps.

I looked at a Marantz receiver until I heard the price. Wow.

$600 is really the top of my spending limit. I'm going stir crazy without music here.

Any comments welcome.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-25-2003 10:50 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I look to upgrade a bit above your price range, I've been hearing good things about the Denon AVR-3803:

http://www.800stereo.com/prods/denonAVR3803.html

You might also be able to find one of the discontinued AVR-3802 models at a discount.

Denon AVR-3802

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-25-2003 11:58 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Denon has always made excelent surround products. Even their old Pro-Logic systems sound better than many of today's digital processors.
evrything sounds warm and crisp.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 04:40 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Denon is great. You also might want to look into Yamaha, another excellent product, IMO.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 08:15 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The local stereo dealers handle Sony, Pioneer, Harman-Kardon, JVC, Panasonic, Magnavox, Onkyo, etc. I've had enough of Sony and their high-priced replacement parts.

The high-end dealer here sells Marantz, and Carver. Both of these are incredible systems, but waay out of my range.

No Denon systems around here. Any good dealers on the net?

My old receiver was fine at half-volume until the generator came up to around 12k. This is when the distortion came on. The right channel outputs blew and shorted. I dont think that it was pushing more than 20 watts when it died.

In the past, the right channel would not come on when I turned on the receiver. I was never able to catch the offending part before it popped on.

Is Denon a division of Sharp?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-25-2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pioneer is pretty good. You could get one with Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES (discrete 6.1), and Pro-Logic II for around $450-ish or less.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 10:10 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Denon is it's own company I believe.

The only authorized e-tailer for Denon is www.6ave.com

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 10:59 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Denon AVR-3802 and love it. It is by far the best receiver I've owned. Cruchfied is an online E-Tailer. Defiantly on the high end of products but it is worth it. Be careful though there are a lot of online e-tailers that are not Authorized Denon Dealers and Denon will not honor the warranty unless it was purchased from an official Authorized Dealer.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-26-2003 12:54 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a Denon AVR 3802 and I also love it. I used to have seperate amps with a receiver (Adcom) and outboard Marantz Dolby Digital and Millennium DTS 5.1 decoders but when the Marantz
'died', I decided to scrap my existing sound system and get the Denon. It was a very good decision because I did not have EX and ES playback capabilities with the Adcom system.

-Claude

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-26-2003 04:39 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Denon is nothing special and is WAY over-rated! Pioneer is the BEST bang for the bucks!

>>> Phil

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2003 07:05 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Pioneer overrated? A few years ago, I did Pioneer warranty service for a large local company. Their larger receivers were always coming in with blown power amp stages. This is all I know of newer Pioneer stuff. The old stuff was always on my want lists. Have they gotten better?

Friday night, I went through my storage area and found my Sony pre-amp, and Dynaco ST-70 tube amp. It's all hooked up and working.

For now, I am leaning toward the Denon that John P mentioned. The AVR-3802.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-26-2003 12:29 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for low end I have found Kenwoods to be a very good choice for receivers. If you want anything good in the high end area you have to spend more than what you want for it. That does not mean that the high end stuff is any better than the low end stuff.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-26-2003 01:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend Crutchfield. They are honest and reliable. Though I can only find the 3803 there and not the 3802.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2003 02:07 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Older Carver recievers are excellent!

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2003 04:30 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please consider also the NAD electronics line. They make a long line of highly respected A/V gear, and they have a great line of receivers. I have had a great deal of NAD electronics over the years, the stuff sounds great and is totally bullet-proof:

www.nadelectronics.com/av_receivers/index.htm

The T742 is closest to your $$ cutoff, at $650.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: