Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Cerwin Vega speakers... Going downhill?

Author Topic: Cerwin Vega speakers... Going downhill?
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2003 07:55 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a pair of these speakers that I bought when I blew my 25 year old Advent pair. I liked the C-V at first, but noticed that when I pump up the volume on the amp, I get HF distortion.

At first, I assumed that it was the amp. It's a Sony 100 watt per channel. I've had issues with it in the past, but it ran OK until recently. The distortion happens with all sources.

I finally re-read my C-V spec sheet, and found that they are rated at 200 watts/8 ohms. Do you guys think that this is causing my distortion woes?

I had the foam surrounds on my Advents replaced. They are sounding as good as ever.

I added a pair of 'generic' 3-way speakers to the 'B' input on the receiver. They are rated at 60 watts/8 ohms. They sound better on high-frequencies than the C-V's.

The Advents are rated at 120 watts/8 ohms.

Am I going to have to bite the bullet and replace this amp with something with more power? (I feel like Tim Taylor on TV now!) I am open to all your suggestions.

Why did I buy C-V? They were in my price range and a friend has a larger pair that will knock your socks off. Plus, I can remember "SENSURROUND!!"

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2003 09:13 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well Cerwin Vega aren't noted for " crisp, clean sound ". They are built to crank shit up. More suited towards house parties and rock music.

Your receiver might be clipping, try exchanging your Sony with another receiver and see if it does the same thing.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-22-2003 09:29 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned this in another thread but you can introduce distortion if you try to under power a speaker. It is best that your amp source be rated at or above the wattage of the speaker.

quote:
I added a pair of 'generic' 3-way speakers to the 'B' input on the receiver. They are rated at 60 watts/8 ohms. They sound better on high-frequencies than the C-V's.
that is even a worse situation. What you do when you add to the B is split the total wattage output of the amplifier. So if your amp is 100 wats per channel it is split into 50 watts for A and 50 for B. You are severly under running the CW's and you are close to the acceptable 60 Watt's on the generic. They will sound ok at that range.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2003 07:44 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I added the B channel speakers, I dont run the C-V's. The Sony has an A,B, and AB setting.

I dont have another amp that is as big as this Sony. I still suspect clipping. All this starts happening when the thing is turned up about half-way.

Yeah. The C-V's have tons of bass.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2003 09:09 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cerwin Vega = "Certain Vagueness" = disco speakers!
Actually, I have a very old set of C-Vs of which only the cabinets are original; over the years all the drivers, the crossovers and the wiring have been replaced. They kick *ss pretty good for blockbuster type DVDs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: