Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DVD 5.1 from computer to reciver

Author Topic: DVD 5.1 from computer to reciver
Bill Mantz
Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2003 02:31 AM      Profile for Bill Mantz   Email Bill Mantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dose any one know of a devise that you can hook up to you computer that will decode the 5.1 channel to a home reciver via an optical of coax line to get the full sound from your DVD playing off you computer.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-11-2003 03:36 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get an Apple G5 Mac computer to do this (it has the digital outs built in) or you can get a very special sound card for your PC with optical and/or coaxial digital out. Hook that up to your receiver and watch away. Of course, the software DVD player you are using must support sending the data out the digital out in raw AC3 or DTS form. Actually I am not sure if any software players support DTS at all.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-11-2003 03:55 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of soundcards for PCs can do that, like the AC97 codec found onboard in many complete PCs, various models of the Soundblaster series, and of other manufacturers. Check the Creative Website for info about the Soundblasters. They used to have a model explicitly called Soundblaster 5.1, but I guess that is outdated now.
Basically I think it is more difficult these days to find a soundcard without 5.1 than with it.
Some soundcards have RCA type outputs which can be configured as analog stereo or coaxial digital (especially on notebooks).
Power DVD seems to support dts decoding, but you have to buy it as an upgrade.

[ 07-11-2003, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: Michael Schaffer ]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-11-2003 12:04 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of years back M-Audio (MidiMan) got great reviews for their pro audio AP-2496 card.
Here's their latest consumer level PCI-based sound card.

Bill Mantz
Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2003 05:07 PM      Profile for Bill Mantz   Email Bill Mantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks For the link Paul I found just what I was looking for and not have to switch out sound cards it is pretty much a plug and play unit.
http://www.midiman.net/products/consumer/sonica-theater.php
Thanks again

[ 10-28-2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Bill Mantz ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-12-2003 08:16 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And how do you get your digital audio data from the PC to that unit?

Bill Mantz
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 02:24 AM      Profile for Bill Mantz   Email Bill Mantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look at the picture of the unit you will see a USB input and in the Tech Specs you will see that you need a USB port.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-13-2003 05:03 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see. But it looks a bit expensive to me. It has a lot of functions, but for your purpose you might get away with far less by getting a soundcard with digital out.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-24-2003 07:55 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PowerDVD XP has DTS pass through support. However, your sound card drivers have got to not monkey around with the bitstream and leave it in raw form.

The Augidgy2 card from SoundBlaster is the leading PC card for surround sound audio. Probably the best combination is using an Audigy2 and the new Creative Labs 6.1 speaker system that features on board DTS-ES and Dolby Digital-EX decoding. Reportedly the Audigy2 card can decode DVD-Audio MLP bitstreams. However, I think the coarse nature of computer speakers takes away any sonic advantages held by DVD-A.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-24-2003 10:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would a sound card screw around with the outgoing digital bitstream? It would cost MORE for it to do so, since that would require some sort of task on the card's part.

Elena N. Solovyova
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 12:56 AM      Profile for Elena N. Solovyova   Email Elena N. Solovyova   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At out theatre we use vintage Hollywood Plus DVD decoder card with SPDIF connector.

Works perfectly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: