Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DVD Packaging

Author Topic: DVD Packaging
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I like the standard 'Keep Case' that is used for most DVDs, I think the very fancy cardboard type used for some films are very nice. While many do not like them at the various DVD forums, I have had no problems with the cardboard covers for "GREASE", MOULIN ROUGE" and the numerous two disc special editions that are now being released with them. The one I like the best is for the new special edition of "WEST SIDE STORY". The three disc special edition of "WINDTALKERS" also comes in a nice package. Many had claimed that the cardboard covers will fall apart very easily but my copy of "GREASE" has a cover that is just as nice as the day I bought it. I also have many classical music and movie soundtrack CDs that came with a similar packaging and I am just as pleased with them as I am with the DVDs. The DVD covers I dislike the most are the so called 'Snappers', a cover made of cheap cardboard and plastic. I think Warner Brothers Home Video is the only one using these covers and although the quality of their discs are excellent, I have always felt their snapper covers made their presentation look very cheap . While the single disc snapper covers do not look good in my opinion, all of the Warner Brothers two disc special editions come in a nice package with a slipcase that is very nice.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2003 11:57 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,
As an out-of-practice graphic designer, I really appreciate creative packiging and printed materials, especially with CDs and records, but with DVDs as well. The Twin Peaks box set is one of the nicer ones I have acqured recently, and I have a very nicely packaged Wong Kar Wai boxset from China as well.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-30-2003 12:47 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love box sets.
What i can't stand are the cheap cardboard "flip covers" Warner Bros. uses.

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 06:31 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Band of Brothers tin case is awesome!! [beer]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-30-2003 11:27 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be in the minority on this, but I don't intensely dislike those Warner Bros. cases. They're OK for run-of-the-mill releases. I'm not crazy about them but I don't hate them either.

My biggest gripe with DVD packaging is the time it takes to get some new DVDs open! They tightly shrinkwrap the case, sometimes twice, which itself is sealed on all 3 sides with hard to remove clear tape. When you do get all those seals off and the damn thing is open, then there's security strips inside the case. And to top it off, half the time the disc is difficult to release from its holder.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-30-2003 03:21 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, David,

I do agree with you about most general release titles from Warner Brothers Home Video but when it comes to the classics like "GONE WITH THE WIND", BEN-HUR", "CASABLANCA", "NORTH BY NORTHWEST" and many others, the covers really suck! I originally had "GONE WITH THE WIND" in the regular plastic case when the distribution of the disc was still handled by MGM Home video but it was stolen and I had to replace it with the one Warner Brothers released in the cheap.looking cover. [Frown]

I also agree with you about the security tapes on three sides of a brand new DVD. Just having it on the top is bad enough but the three sided ones are a pain. I also feel the tape, Warner Brothers use is not very good when you cannot peal it off in one piece.

Although the packaging is very beautiful with many DVD titles, I hate it when you are forced to make a decision if it will be worth it to deface the enclosed printed brochure by cutting out the "Proof of Purchase" tab from the back cover in order to send away for a free DVD.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: