Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » AV515M Sound Card

Author Topic: AV515M Sound Card
Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 06:02 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anyone else out there running an Audio Excel AV515M Sound Card with a CM8738 chipset in their home theatre computer? I installed one today with the Optical SPDIF Daughter board but can't seem to get the 5.1 working with the optical connecter. The best I can get is optical stereo which is absolutly useless seeing as I purchased the card for it's 5.1 capabilities and the optical output.

Any insight into this dilema would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 03:17 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better yet, does anyone know of a device to convert 6 seperate analog channels into an AC3 Dolby Digital stream that outputs either digital coax or optical.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-18-2003 09:10 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what are you outputting to. The computer or a receiver. If the optical is receiving a stereo signal and it should be 5.1 then there is a mix down happening somewhere. if the 6 analog signals are derived from a 5.1 source then you need a recieiver to handles the individual inputs. I guess you would need an encoder to convert the analog back to digital 5.1.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 10:52 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm outputing from the computer to a home theatre receiver. The receiver has stereo RCA inputs for the majority or the channels and 3 digital inputs (2 optical and 1 coaxial) for surround sound that can be assigned to DVD, TV and CD channels. Yes the card is mixing down the 5.1 tracks into stereo for the optical output but there's no other way to configure the card to the best of my knowledge. The way the card seems to be handling the 5.1 is by splitting it up into 6 distinct analog channels and outputing them via 3 stereo speaker jacks. An encoder would do the trick, all I have to do is figure out how to get my hands on one. Thanks Darryl.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: