Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "SHOGUN" is finally coming in September

Author Topic: "SHOGUN" is finally coming in September
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-16-2003 04:42 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Honolulu Advertiser announced a few months ago that island resident, Richard Chamberland was asked to record a commentary track for the DVD of "SHOGUN" prompting speculation that the long awaited miniseries was finally coming to DVD. Paramount just released an announcement that "SHOGUN" is indeed coming and is scheduled for a September release. Exact information about the DVD regarding extra features and pricing will be announced very soon. I recently saw a brand new VHS copy for sale at Tower Video and it still had a ridiculous retail price that prevented me from buying it when the complete version was never released on laserdisc.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2003 05:29 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very good news!

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-19-2003 03:00 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's going tobe a 5 disc set with a SRP of $89.95.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 04:14 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The release date is September 23.

quote:
Richard Chamberland was asked to record a commentary track for the DVD
Not sure if such a commentary was ever recorded. The press release mentions only a director commentary track for selected scenes.

The 547-minute, five-disc set is also scheduled to include a 79-minute documentary and three additional featurettes.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-06-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

As I had mentioned earlier, the very first indication the complete"SHOGUN" was coming out on DVD was when the Honolulu Advertiser reported that Richard Chamberlain was scheduled to record a commentary track for the mini series about a year ago at the Ihilani Resort where the hotel scenes in "BLUE CRUSH" was filmed here in Hawaii. I am almost sure Chamberlain did record the track but Paramount decided not to use it. It this is true, it is rather unfortunate because I would have enjoyed his comments about the making of this fantastic show.

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-06-2003 11:05 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Chamberlain did an interview on the Larry King show recently, but I missed it. I was hoping someone else here might have seen it for details on the upcoming "Shogun" DVD box set. The only thing CNN hyped on their previews was Chamberlain coming out of the closet.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-18-2003 09:21 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"SHOGUN" will finally be released this Tuesday. DVD Planet is offering it for $56.00 but Costco has a better price at $49.95. It should be the same at Sam's Club. Since Hawaii's first Best Buy store has not opened yet, I have no idea what they will be charging but Circuit City might have a price better than Costco. We shall know what it will be on Sunday when we read our newspaper on that day. If it is cheaper, I predict it will be about $46.00

-Claude

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 10:47 AM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, it's out today .. has anyone seen it? I ask because I'd like a 'review' of the quality before deciding whether to rent or buy this one. How does it look??

I know the story .. I'm old enough to have experienced it on TV the first time. Wish they could come up with a different ending, but I know that's not possible. [Smile]

Ron Yost

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-23-2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron,

There is a review for "SHOGUN" at
http://www.dvdfile.com

I am planning to pick up my copy today and cannot wait to watch it tonight.

It has been a long time since I last saw the complete version of "SHOGUN" since watching the entire show on network television. As I recall, I had no problem with the ending.

Being an American of Japanese ancestry, I have always been interested in the history of my grandparent's country and although the novel and the television series is fiction, "SHOGUN is based on Iyeyasu Tokugawa, the first of his family to rule Japan for over two hundred years. After years of Civil wars, Japan has been at peace within it's borders all through the Tokugawa period starting in 1603 and ending in 1863 when Yoshinobu Tokugawa turned over governing power to Emperor Meiji. During one of my visits to Japan, I have had the opportunity to visit the site of Iyeyasu Tokugawa final resting place at the very beautiful Nikko National park outside of Tokyo.

-Claude

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 01:44 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Here in NZ = The Shop’s Retail price is: $279.99 but order and pre-pay on line now, and the DVD will be: only $259.99 for Internet orders only, when ordered from this site, and will be despatched to you as soon as classified stocks arrive, but we must receive your order by:
15th of September
Year first screened on TV: 1980
Category: Adventure/Drama
NZ Rating: M
USA Release date: September 23, 2003
Starring: Richard Chamberlain, John Rhys-Davies, Toshiro Mifune

Synopsis:
John Blackthorne, an English ship pilot, whose vessel wrecked upon the Japanese coast in the early 17th century is forced to deal with the two most powerful men in Japan in these days. He is thrown in the midst of a war between Toranaga and Ishido, who struggle for the title of Shogun which will give ultimate power to the one who possesses it.

Additional Features:

5 disc set
"The Making of Shogun" - a 13 segment piece
3 Historical Perspective Featurettes
Audio Commentary by Director Jerry London on select scenes
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Colour
Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1
Languages :English
Running Time: 600 minutes ( 10 hours )

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 02:46 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys.

Claude, you're the very one I was hoping to hear from. Thanks for the link .. that's one DVD review site I'd not found.

I'm always amused how DVD-types are troubled by every little film 'defect', as they see them. I wonder sometimes how much they actually get 'into' the experience and enjoy the =film=. Perhaps I exagerate, but it is amusing, to me, at least.

I'm pleased Paramount's done a good job on the transfer .. that's what I was a little worried about. It's all I needed to know. Thanks again! I'm sure we'll all very much enjoy this true miniseries classic!

Ron Yost

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: