Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Beautiful Thing [1996]

Author Topic: Beautiful Thing [1996]
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2003 09:19 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was released on DVD on May 20, 2003 in region 1. I didn't know this until yesterday, when I began searching for a copy, and found one at my local Best Buy.

I had seen this movie once before, back around 1998, I beleive. I'd never heard of the movie until a friend of mine brought it over and wanted to watch it.

This movie had been requested often and Columbia-TriStar finally delieved it, although I thought the transfer could have been better. I noticed many compression artifacts throughout the movie.

This movie is about two guys named Jamie and Ste (pronounced Stee (an abbreviated form of "Steve" that must be popular in England, since I've never heard that variation here in the U.S.)

The setting is brilliant. In southeast London, Jamie lives in an apartment next to Ste, who lives with his abusive brother and father, and also next door to this black girl named Leah, and her mother. Leah is obsessed with Mama Cass and occasionally puts on one of those records and cranks it full blast, which can be heard in all the surrounding apartments. The soundtrack of this movie is full of Mama Cass and Mamas and the Papas songs!

Due to abuse, Ste stays at Jamie's and sleeps in the room with him.

I won't say much more about the plot except that there's plenty of tension. This movie opened on October 11, 1996.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: