Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DVD-R vs DVD+R (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DVD-R vs DVD+R
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-08-2003 01:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the real difference between DVD-R and DVD+R formats? I think DVD-R is more compatible with set top DVD players, but the DVD+R camp loves saying how superior their format is. Wouldn't this be similar to CD-Rs having two different formats, both playing essentially the same data, but both can only be recorded on proprietary recorders? Whats the point?

I'm confused. Somebody please help. Also, please make DVD+R go away while you're at it. I have DVD-R and I want MY camp to win.

|  IP: Logged

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2003 06:09 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the difference between DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW?

DVD-ROM is a play-only optical disc similar to today’s CD-ROM. The DVD-ROM has a much higher storage capacity (4.7Gbytes per side).

DVD-Video is a play-only disc that will hold a full length feature film. The DVD-Video will hold 135 minutes of high quality video and will add extra’s like multi-language support, subtitles and even interactivity. The DVD-Video quality is higher than laser discs and VHS. DVD-Video titles can be played in DVD players and computers with DVD-ROM players and MPEG2 decoder boards.

DVD-RAM is a rewritable version of DVD. Panasonic launched DVD-RAM to the PC market over two years ago but the lack of domestic DVD-RAM video machines has meant that its first mover advantage has been lost. The recordable disc is held within a caddy - this protects the media from dust contamination but means the discs will not work with existing DVD players. It uses a phase-change recording principle. TDK has developed a new type of phase change recording material called AVIST (Advanced & Versatile Information Storage Technology). It is expected that major DVD-ROM drive manufacturers will soon release DVD-RAM readable DVD-ROM drives, which have a standard tray loader.

DVD-R is a write-once recordable version of DVD. It uses an improved cyanine dye, similar to the material used in CD-R. DVD-R can be used for both DVD-ROM and DVD-Video applications.

DVD-RW: Pioneer’s DVD-RW format is a naked disc that has been developed from CD-RW technology using a phase changing dye between disc layers. Thanks to AVIST, TDK has already completed development work on a phase-change layer that is ideal for the DVD-RW format. Although current DVD players will not replay DVD-RW discs, next generation players may well do as the format has the backing of the DVD Forum in Japan. The first domestic recordable DVD players to market (early this year) are likely to be DVD-RW.

DVD+RW: Developed by Sony, Philips and Hewlett-Packard, DVD+RW is another naked disc format but has the advantage of being more compatible with existing DVD drives. DVD+RW promises full backward compatibility with existing DVD-ROM drives and DVD-Video players. However, the DVD Forum does not sanction this format as yet – this will delay compatible players coming to market, but both Sony and Philips are active members of the Forum.

The DVD Forum’ sets the standards for DVD technologies and has endorsed 3 different recordable DVD formats; DVD-RAM, DVD-R & DVD-RW.

-Panasonic, Toshiba and Hitachi are backing DVD-RAM.

- Pioneer is the corporate force behind DVD-R and its rewritable extension, DVD-RW.

A fourth format, DVD+RW, is backed by Philips, Sony, HP, Ricoh and Yamaha, but has not yet been approved by the Forum.

The three different flavours of recordable DVD trying to become the digital home video format of the future are DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD +RW

Each has approximately the same recording time using Mpeg compression - between two hours at DVD quality and five hours at VHS quality – and can all be re-recorded up to 100,000 times.

However, they are not interchangeable, so the chances are only one will survive as a domestic format. Just which one that will be is still wide open.

The main roadblock to arriving at a single DVD recordable format has been DVD-Video/DVD ROM cross-platform compatibility.

INFORMATION COURTESY OF TDK UK LIMITED

www.tdk.com

Sony are bringing out a DVD recorder that supports both DVD-R & DVD+R formats priced at £800UKP. $1,329USD.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-08-2003 06:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info.

My DVD player will effortlessly play back DVD-RW's, as will a friend's much older JVC DVD player.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-08-2003 09:45 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Over at www.dvdrhelp.com there is a searchable chart of DVD players and the media types each supports. Specifically, here.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-10-2003 05:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are reliability rates improving for DVD-R written discs? I was eager to buy a new dual-CPU G4 Mac loaded with Final Cut Pro and a new three chip MiniDV camera until I read some reports about how flaky some of the drives are.

I have noticed some newer DVD writers which support both -R and +R formats, along with higher speeds. How are these drives doing compared to existing drives?

It's all probably academic anyway. I waiting to see if any of the DV camera makers will incorporate native 16x9 CCDs and 24P into some newer models.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I bought a Panasonic DMR-E50 console DVD recorder that records on DVD-R and DVD RAM. I'm starting to transfer material from laserdisc to DVD so I'll have a backup (and more convenient way to play the stuff) of the material. I bought a console recorder rather than a computer-based one since I have a lot of hours of stuff to transfer and I don't want to tie up the computer while transferring.

The DVD-R discs written by the unit read fine on my two other Panasonic DVD player models (A300 and A310), except one chapter consisting of credits only for "The Minds Eye". On the A300 (from 1997, a first-generation player), this one chapter, which I recorded at LP rather than SP, plays as if a scope film is played without the anamorphic lens. A 0.667:1 image is played, centered on the screen! All other chapters were recorded at "SP" and they play fine. The Panasonic A310 (from 1998) locks up as soon as it touches the "LP" title.

My Toshiba 3109 DVD player from 1999 will not touch the DVD-R disc with a 10-foot pole. It says "Check Disc" when the disc is loaded.

The Denon DVD-900 player from early 2003 plays the first part of the disc successfully, but starts freezing up and having problems about one hour into the disc and won't play the stuff at the end of the disc.

So, it looks like I'm okay if I record everything in SP mode (2 hours a disc) and use Panasonic DVD players.

I haven't tried the Pioneer DVL-909 laserdisc/DVD combo player (from 1998) yet, but I'm sure it will work fine. It's the only thing I have that would play a DVD-RW that a friend brought over. Friends have brought written DVDs over in various formats, and the Pioneer DVL-909 has played anything that's ever been stuck in it, while the Toshiba 3109 has never played any written media, except one CD+R that a friend brought over once.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-13-2003 03:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pioneers are awesome since they play everything.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2003 08:47 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have owned the Panasonic E30 (DVD-R,DVD-RAM) which I got rid of for the Phillips DVDR-985 (DVD+R,DVD+RW). My comments apply only to these two stand alone (non computer) units.

• Neither format is 100% compatible with existing video players.
  • Both formats have "issues" in regards to screwing up disks.
As to the Panasonic (DVD-R,DVD-RAM)
  • I did not like the machine itself. It's remote and menues were confusing.
  • DVD-R worked ok, but it was not compatible with my some of my other DVD players. Menues were text only.
  • DVD-RAM is compatible only with Panasonic built players (including Samsung, which are just rebranded Panasonics). Not only that, but according to the instructions, DVD-RAM recorded in "video mode" would only play on the recorder that it was record on. I never got to test this, however.
  • You could not put chapter stops where you want them. I understand this was fixed in later models.
  • Draconian copy protection, that copy protected everything you recorded, regardless of source.
The Phillips (DVD+R,DVD+RW)
  • Machine and it's menues are much easier to use, much more intutitive.
  • You can put thumbnail pictures from the disk into the menus.
  • DVD+R seem to be compatible with more players than DVD-R, but I have found neither format to be 100% compatible.
  • DVD+RW plays fine in most of my other players.
  • Quick finalization of DVD+R
  • No finalization of DVD+RW required, even to play on other players.
  • Phillips quality control sucks. The machines software had bugs out of the box. Phillips has since sent me several updates on CD-ROM which have fixed most of the problems, but I can't load the latest upgrade (that gives me 2 more record speeds), because they broke DVD+R recording. In fact, this machine has so many bugs, and the Phillips programming is so bad, that there is a user web site devoted to the upgrades and what they fixed and what they broke.
Overall, I like DVD+R slightly better than DVD-R, since my older players seem to have less glitches with the +R format. On the other hand, I think neither format is ready for prime time for video use.
/Mitchell

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-13-2003 11:23 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a side note, if you're developing PS2 games and need to burn test DVDs, the ONLY player that's certified by Sony for that purpose is a Pioneer. The Pioneer A04 and A05 are the current models I think. And the only Sony-approved precision burner for creating PS2 "gold masters" is also a Pioneer, which has to be special-ordered. 'nuf sed? [Wink]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-13-2003 01:59 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far the DVD forum has not actually specifically adopted any format yet. They do have thier preference, but it does look as if the DVD+R/RW camp will win. It has a higher compatibility factor, ease of use, reliability etc.

The number of companies climbing on board this format is climbing ever higher, forcing the DVD forum to take this format seriously.

I have had no problems with this format as of yet. I use the Verbatim Producer 2.4X DVD+R/RW recorder. No problems yet at all. I can get two hours of video with 2 channel sound with no problems at all.

The disks cost more than the -R/RW versions, but that will change as the format begins to explode.

As for phillips bad QC, this came from a marketing decision to roll out the players nearly 18 months ahead of schedule in order to push thier own format over and above what was currently taking shape. So far, the plan is working, and they are dealing fairly well with the out of the box problems.

I personally feel that Phillips was very pissed in general that CD-I fell flat on its face, and wants to shove it up Sony's ass.

Dave

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-13-2003 03:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pioneers are awesome since they play everything.

Ummm, your Pioneer wouldn't play your CDR DVD, remember? [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-13-2003 05:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I don't care about discs limited to 10 minutes of quality video. Not really an advantage for me. I have DVD-RW and it does not require finalization to play either.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-13-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is there a double post above? I only pressed submit once. Glitch in the forum. I did not even edit it. I would delete it myself if I could. I'm suing.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2003 08:38 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toshiba's are known for not playing other formats other than DVD-Video, Audio Cd's and MP3 discs.

I just want a burner that will work in all players without the hassles.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-15-2003 02:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty much impossible. There are too many older players out there that won't play recorded media. Hopefully they will be phased out soon like CD players that can't read CD-R. I don't know who would want a DVD player (or CD player) that couldn't play user recorded material.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: