Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Farscape and Firefly

Author Topic: Farscape and Firefly
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-22-2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that the powers that be from two distant galaxies have cancelled Farscape (SciFi) and Firefly (Fox), it seems that higher powers have intervened to prevent thier demise.

Of course Farscape is already doing its DVD thing, and now you can add Firefly to the same realm. The DVD is nearing readiness for release, and it will include the three episodes that never aired. The release date is not yet set.

Even better news for both, apparently cancellation is not quite death. Movie deals are in the works for both shows.

As Firefly star Nathan Fillion noted, that it is a lot harder to get cancelled from a movie than a TV show. Very true, considering that your audience actually pays to see the show, so if they don't go, then no sequel. As for TV, you have to make the advertisers happy with the nielsen ratings that you drum up.

So I am a happy camper these days.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2003 10:33 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Farscape was interesting but I guess it was too fast for me to latch on too. I couldn't keep track of all the things going on so I quit watching it. That final episode sucked a root by the way [thumbsdown]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2003 10:44 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't figure out why they cancelled Farscape. It was and is still getting tons of awards and was THE most popular series on SciFi channel. I watched a few episodes and thought it interesting and bought the first season box set. It really makes a lot more sense if you start at the beginning of season one and work your way through. I wish they'd release season two in the box set. As to why it ended so poorly...it wasn't supposed to end. There was supposed to be another season.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-30-2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That ending was a cliffhanger for the next season, filmed when they were still under contract for a fifth season option. However, sci-fi network felt that although it had the highest viewership of any of its shows, the cost involved in producing each episode was far higher than the advertising revenue it could produce.

The network did try to opt for a 13 episode final season, with the budget cut by 15 percent per episode. however, the producers used the contract option to opt out and move forward to feature films.

Dave

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-18-2003 03:16 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I AM A HAPPY MAN!!! [Razz]

While unconfirmed, it appears that it will soon be confirmed that Farscape will have some closure after all. A four hour miniseries, network to be decided later, will be produced to wrap up the entire four year run answering all questions and ending all plot lines, and readying the show for a potential theatrical run.

YIPPPEEEE!!!!! [beer]

Dave

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2003 09:22 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Farscape
Still waiting for the Season 2 Boxed set. Apparently ADV is handling distribution in the US and for some reason they "haven't decided" if they will release a boxed set of Season 2 or not. That's very irritating as they have released it to the rest of the world and I already bought the Season 1 boxed set. I have even considered buying a region 2 or 4 DVD player so I can buy things that are not released in region 1. I think it should be a constitutional amendment that if you release one year of a series in a box set you should have to release them all.

Christopher Santapaola
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2003 02:04 PM      Profile for Christopher Santapaola   Email Christopher Santapaola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I miss firefly [Frown] [Frown]

Has anyone heard if they are still trying to find a new home or have they given up...

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-12-2003 06:50 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Creator Josh Whedon is writing the feature film script, based on the televised show. When it is done, he will shop it around to various studios and production companies, with at least three major players have already voiced interest in the project.

Production on a feature could begin as early as mid 2004, with a release date in the 2006 summer realm. It's a long time to wait, but it will be well worth the pain involved for us firefly fanatics.

Soon the DVD will be here, and that will have to hold me!

Dave

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-05-2003 01:32 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is confirmed now that Universal Studios has in fact aquired the rights to Firefly and has given creator Josh Whedon the go ahead to develop the show into a feature film. The studio hopes to be in full production by spring of 2004, with a potential summer 2005 or 2006 release date.

Josh Whedon will act as Executive producer, writer and director.

YIPPEE SKIPPEE!!!!!!!!!! I am one happy camper.

Dave

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 11:36 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I got a region 4 season 2 boxset of Farscape and they have 4 episodes per disk instead of 2 like the season 1 region 1 set. Can they compress PAL more that NTSC. How'd they do that?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-07-2003 04:51 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The FIREFLY complete series, including the three episodes not shown, will be on DVD December 9th.

The four disk set will have running commentary on half of the shows, a gag reel, interviews, audition tapes, deleted scenes, and even Josh Whedon singing!

I am stoked!!!!

Dave

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2003 10:48 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news for Farscape fans
The complete Farscape season 3 box set is available now in Region 4.
Try DVD planet in the land down under

Daniel Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 06:37 PM      Profile for Daniel Wright   Email Daniel Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Farscape was just plain fun. It worked because it did not always take itself so seriously. Besides how can you not like a show with projectile vomiting muppets?
[Eek!]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: