Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Indiana Jones Boxset is coming for Halloween or make that Oct. 21st. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Indiana Jones Boxset is coming for Halloween or make that Oct. 21st.
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-06-2003 05:43 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paramount Home Entertainment will be releasing the Indiana Jones
films on October 21st, 2003. Like Paramount's three "Godfather Collection" on DVD, "The Adventures of Indiana Jones: The Complete DVD mMovie Collection" will be available only as a set.
The THX digitally remastered films, each restored by noted preservationists Lowry Digital Images, will be available in both widescreen and [Frown] fullscreen versions with new Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks.
And their is a fourth disc with special features. [Big Grin] [thumbsup]
source: Daily Variety

[beer]

[ 08-19-2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

|  IP: Logged

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2003 06:11 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news!

Now, if they can only get rid of full screen...

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-06-2003 06:18 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Full-screen versions of the Indy Trilogy? [fu] [puke] [thumbsdown] [bs]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-06-2003 07:11 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed none of the Spielberg movies I have seen so far on DVD had a director`s commentary. Hopefully this edition will have it.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-06-2003 07:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Paramount will NOT package the FOOLscreen and widescreen versions of the Indy trilogy in the same box. That would mean each DVD-9 disc would get only half the normal data bandwidth for the anamorphic widescreen version. I want 16x9 enhanced 2.39:1 widescreen spread across both layers for all three films.

Foolscreen versions need to be sold separately. The only way it would work "single inventory" is if each movie had two discs to it (making the whole set a 6-disc or 7-disc affair).

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-07-2003 07:11 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is another thread about this in Film-Yak. It says there will be no director`s commentary because Spielberg doesn`t like to do commentaries. That is sad. I am a big fan of that. I just watched the Godfather edition with Coppola`s commentary.
That reminds me that on the DVD of Lawrence of Arabia, Spielberg says that he once watched the whole film with David Lean who talked him through the whole film. It would have been great if Spielberg would have overcome his dislike of commentaries to retell for us what Lean had to say.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-07-2003 09:37 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John D. Lowry (Lowry Digital Images) is a legend in the field of film-to-video transfers. He is a Life Fellow of the SMPTE, and founded Image Transform, one of the pioneer companies in the field:

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/bigreport11.shtml

http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-021126film,0,1213961.story

Lowry Digital HD Transfers of "I Love Lucy"

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 02:05 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would Paramount do full-frame DVDs of the Indiana Jones titles? All other Paramount DVDs -- including the Nickelodeon and Paramount Classics titles -- are strictly widescreen.

Maybe Stvn Splbrg demanded full-frame.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 02:44 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my understanding, they will be two seperate box sets, one wide and one full. Unfortunately, with the wide acceptance of DVD, joe six pack wants that TV set FILLED! The joke will be on him down the line, though. He'll have to re-buy when he gets that widescreen TV (or just suffer through the STRETCH to fill it, which he probably wont be able to tell, anyway0.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-08-2003 12:09 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news about letterbox vs. "fool screen":

http://www.showbizdata.com/contacts/picknews.cfm?id=32260

quote:
Movie renters, who once overwhelmingly preferred full-frame versions of their films now generally prefer the so-called letterbox version, according to the Blockbuster chain. "We made a decision to purchase the majority of titles we bring in on DVD in the widescreen format," Blake Lugash, spokesman for the chain, said. "We try to follow our customer preferences. As DVD becomes increasingly popular, they become more familiar with the features and with the benefits of letterboxing. They've learned it's a superior format to full-frame." He noted that 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment and MGM Home Entertainment offer both version on a single disc -- a policy that other studios ought to follow, Lugash said.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-08-2003 12:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, maybe there's hope for the masses after all! [Wink] [thumbsup]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-08-2003 06:30 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the surface it may seem okay to include both widescreen and 1.33:1 versions in the same package. The advantage is brick and mortar stores like Wal-Mart that are more prone to carry more in the way of full frame will have the widescreen version in regardless.

With a highly anticipated title like "Raiders of the Lost Ark" there shouldn't be any compromise, no matter how "inconvenienced" the average Joe-sixpack newbie to DVD may feel in being confused by separate fullscreen and widescreen versions.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2003 12:35 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walmart must have different stocking policies for different stores around the country. I've seen many complaints about them stocking only fullframe from a lot of different people, but in our local stores one can usually find both the pan-and-scan and OAR editions. Costco here at one time started full frame only editions (if one was available) but in the past year or so has carried the OAR editions ONLY (with the current exception of CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, which is availbale in both).

I was at a KMART recently and decided to pick up an old favorite from when I was a kid, BIG RED, even though the box said it was full frame (assuming it was open matte). Much to my deliughtful surprise, it was a flipper with both versions on it!

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2003 10:10 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why would Paramount do full-frame DVDs of the Indiana Jones titles? All other Paramount DVDs -- including the Nickelodeon and Paramount Classics titles -- are strictly widescreen.
Paramount Home Entertainment has released a number of titles on DVD simultaneously in both wide and full screen, including:

On same disc:
Hey Arnold! The Movie
Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
Mission: Impossible
The Rugrats Movie
Top Gun
The Wild Thornberrys Movie

Separate releases:
The Core
The Four Feathers
Grease
How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days
The Hunted
The Italian Job (2003)
Jackass: The Movie
Martin Lawrence: Runteldat
Serving Sara
Star Trek: Nemesis

Post edited to add Star Trek: Nemesis to list.

Post edited July 28 to add more titles to list.

Post edited Aug 12 to add new title to list.

[ 08-12-2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Michael Coate ]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-13-2003 01:00 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just love to see people's faces who have been buying full screen versions of movies on DVD that were available in both versions when they eventually buy a new TV with a 16X9 format screen and see black bars on the two sides instead of the top and bottom. [Smile]

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: