Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Double Indemnity?????????????

Author Topic: Double Indemnity?????????????
Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2003 09:24 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having been outbid on every ebay auction for a 16mm print of this wonderful noir title, I recently set out to upgrade my VHS copy to a DVD only to find that the indie company that released the DVD shows it as out of print. In fact, there's an active market on ebay and Amazon selling used DVD's at fairly fancy prices. Anybody know if Paramount intends to release it themselves?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-08-2003 10:56 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Paramount have pulled it, could there either be a rights issue or plans for a remake? Alternatively, maybe some footage has been found of the cut final scene (Fred MacMurray in the gas chamber) and there are plans for a restoration.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-08-2003 11:47 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo
Sorry wrong answer.

Jeff

The DVD issue of "Double Indemnity" was released by
Image Entertainment. Paramount no longer owns the rights to this
film. Any Paramount film before I think the date is 1949,
were sold to MCA/Universal. This happened in the 60's. The
same thing happened over at Warner, when Jack Warner sold
all pre-48 titles to United Artists for 23 Million Dollars.
Only to have Warner buy Turner to get back all those Warner
titles
and pre-85 MGM titles too. MCA licensed select titles
to Image about 5 years ago. Those titles are now out-of-print.
MCA is letting old licensing agreements expire and releasing
their own versions. So look for that title as a MCA release.
MCA is also licensing to Criterion some titles for Special Editions.
This one may turn up as a Criterion Edition. [Big Grin]

[ 04-08-2003, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-09-2003 03:45 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
MCA is also licensing to Criterion some titles for Special Editions. This one may turn up as a Criterion Edition
Given that Double Indemnity has attracted so much critical attention and is taught widely in university film studies courses and the like, I'd have thought that it would be a very strong candidate for a Criterion release.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-09-2003 04:11 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MCA has licensed to Criterion on DVD these former Paramount film
releases.
  • "Trouble in Paradise" 1932
    "The Lady Eve" 1941
    "Sullivan's Travels" 1942
MCA licensed to Criterion the Universal film "Charade". The
Criterion edition is now out-of-print, but MCA just released
it as a double feature with the film "The Truth About Charlie".
They should have released as "Charade" with the bonus of the
remake. [Big Grin]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-09-2003 04:52 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Phil showed me a house across the street from his own in Hollywood and said that it was used in this film.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 09:15 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill: You're right, I'm wrong. I did know that the pre-48 Paramounts were sold to MCA, in fact I've got numerous prints with the MCA logo. I picked up a cheap Oriental import DVD on ebay, so we'll see what shows up. Incidentally, I admire Universal for licensing out Charade--it's PD! Well, can't blame them for trying to make a buck.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: