Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Sony HDTV adventure ("flickering" problem) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sony HDTV adventure ("flickering" problem)
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2003 09:18 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I posted my original review of "The Dream is Alive" (the IMAX movie on DVD), the review included negative comments about brightness fluctuation problems and color registration problems. Later, I found this to be a problem with the TV rather than the DVD, so I went back and edited the post.

I put a color bar test pattern on the set and noticed that the green bar was flickering, as were all colors containing green (white, yellow, and cyan), while all others had no flicker.

So, since I bought a 5-year service plan on this thing (a Sony 57 inch 16:9 model KP-57HW40, which I ended up buying for $2504 plus tax), I was bound to find out how good Sears' service is.

Monday, March 24, 2003: I called the Sears repair number and was told a technician would be out to my house the next morning between 12 and 5.

Tuesday, March 25, 2003: The technician arrived around 8 AM (or maybe a bit before). I showed him the color bar pattern showing which bars were flickering. He wanted to see a regular TV picture, so I put it on one of the cable stations and the brightness fluctuations were visible and the picture had a purple tint. He ran the color all the way down, and the picture of course showed the purple tint and the flicker. He got on the phone and got numbers of parts to order. Three parts were to be replaced: Two surface-mount resistors and some other type of resistor. The parts would be shipped to me and I was to call when they arrived.

Monday, March 31, 2003: An envelope arrived in the mail containing the parts. I looked at the parts and found a plastic bag with 4 tiny surface-mount resistors (he ordered extras) and another bag with a fastener of some sort, which had hole throught the center with threads, and two holes used to mount it to a surface. I called the service number and let them know the parts had arrived. The technician was then scheduled to come out Wednesday afternoon between 12 and 5 (April 2).

April 2, 2003: I take the afternoon off work and wait most of the afternoon, then get a call around 3:40 from the repairman saying he won't be able to make it and reschedules for first thing Friday morning. (This service man has to cover most of north Alabama and some of southern Tennessee, and had more calls put on him that day than he could cover.)

April 4, 2003: The technician comes out and finds out that one of the parts that was shipped was wrong. The faster thing was supposed to have been a resistor. The shipping list was correct, but the wrong part was put in the envelope by whoever shipped it. All the technician could do was reorder the part. When the technician was out, he spoke with someone on the other end that was skeptical that replacing these resistors would fix it and that replacing the picture tube might be necessary.

All of this so far is very encouraging, considering that the set was 10 months old when this problem developed. It was a wonderful set until this happened. I'm glad I bought the service plan, but had no idea how long it would take to get problems resolved. This could turn out to be a real pain. So far, I'm not too impressed with Sears service.

[ 04-04-2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Evans A Criswell ]

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-04-2003 09:40 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you would think that small items like resistors and such would be on the service mans truck. It would cut down on all those return trips.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2003 09:51 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The service guy said that with Sony, you pretty much had to go with their parts.

Anyway, I was doing some WWW browsing this morning looking for information on the Sony flickering problem on my model and it turns out that quite a few of their sets of this type have developed this problem. I'm not the only one.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-04-2003 10:52 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Sony was sold a bad batch of parts by one of their vendors.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2003 02:52 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I found this letter, so I know the CRTs will have to be replaced, so I already know that when the guy comes next time, it won't be fixed then either. The CRTs will have to be ordered and I'll have to go through another waiting and appointment ordeal.

Anyway, it's good that Sony is acknowledging this defect in this line of product. Sears had a "flash code" for this problem, meaning it is a common and known problem. I'm posting the letter for the benefit of any film-tech members who have bought one of the affected Sony rear-projection units (which I figure is likely), and added "flickering problem" to the subject of the thread.

I am encouraged to hear from a salesman in the Sears store here that this particular repairman that is handling my case is "one of the best." I worried that if new CRTs were required, the convergence or CRT level calibration after installation might be off. All I can do now is wait and see...

quote:

January 27, 2003

Dear Retailer:

Thank you for your continued support of Sony Projection Televisions. We value your patronage and always consider how Sony can better assist you. While our products represent the best Sony has to offer in television, we continuously look at how we can improve the level of quality you and your customers expect from these products.

Sony has received reports of a "flickering" condition on certain rear projection TV models specified below. Our engineering team investigated and determined that in a small percentage of sets (we estimate that less than 1% are affected) made with impregnated cathode CRTs, the material used to impregnate the cathode may attach itself to another section of the electron gun and cause a mild brightness fluctuation or change in hue. This symptom does not surface until approximately 1,000 hours of use.

Once this problem was diagnosed, Sony published a Service Fix for this issue and instructed Sony Service Centers and Authorized Service Centers to replace all 3 CRTs at no cost to the consumer in order to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Corrective measures were also made in the manufacturing process to address this situation.

Models that are affected are: KDP-57XBR2, KDP-65XBR2, KP-51HW40, KP-51WS500, KP-57HW40 and KP-57WS500.

If your customers experience this symptom, please advise them to contact the Sony Call Center (800-222-SONY) to schedule a service call. Sony is working with authorized service centers, providing all current information for the repair as well as assisting them in ordering the parts beforehand so the repair can be completed in one call.

In order to satisfy our valued customers, Sony has extended the warranty period beyond the standard warranty period for this situation.

If you have any questions, please contact your Sony Sales Manager. .

Sincerely,
Tim Alessi
Director - Product Marketing VNPD
Sony Electronics, Inc.

attachment

Serial Numbers Affected:
Sets with the following serial number ranges may be affected:
KP-51HW40 and KP-57HW40 models: Serial numbers which have a Zero in second digit, i.e. 90xxxxx. (not applicable with other models).
WS500 models: KP-51WS500 (9000001 ? 9020557)
KP-57WS500 (9000001 ? 9014575)
XBR2 models: KDP-57XBR2 (9000001- 9000565)
KDP-65XBR2 (9000001 ? 9000340)

Symptoms:

Picture Flicker
Greenish Hue

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-04-2003 03:07 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While our products represent the best Sony has to offer in television
Who writes these letters! Doesn't every company have the best they have to offer?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-04-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Sony 53" RP-HDTV had an out-of-the-box problem that afflicted a lot of the samples of that model. You turn it on from a cold start, and nothing happens. No picture. Turn it off, then on again, and it's fine. It was something related to a delay for the CRTs to warm up before putting a signal on them. Anyway, it was repaired under warranty. They had to replace a board. The bad news is after the board was swapped, I was VERY unhappy with the convergance and geometry. It was pretty messed up. I went into the service menus and re-calibrated it myself rather than hoping for the best from the service tech. But it took quite a bit of time and patience to get it right again.

Hope that doesn't happen to you, although if they're doing something as drastic as replacing CRTs, it's likely that it's going to need a complete re-alignment. [eyes]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-05-2003 03:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its been my experience as a TV service tech years ago(late 60's early 70's) that any brand of TV has its own unique share of problems. But that was long ago just when large screen tv's were comming out.

I was chatting with a TV tech this morning while at the local electronics shop and he said that Sony has been plauged with problems in their TV's since the early 90's when they switched over to lead free solder. He spends alot of his time just re-soldering crappy solder joints in them and then they work fine.

I've had one major problem with my Mitsubishi 50" DTV since I bought it. Its a forst generation set and overall has been pretty good. Just before the Winter Olympics started the red deflection yoke caught on fire and took some other parts with it. Right after it happened I took the back off to find the yoke literally on fire and blowing on it extinguished it!!
Luckly Mitsubishi has great CRT protection built in and the tubes survived without any phosphor burns. Gotta wonder what might have happened to my house had I not taken the back off???
Supposedly this problem was caused by piss poor convergence power I'C's and that these IC's are one of the most common problems in Mitsubishi sets. Hasn't happened again but I have to admit that the heatsinking on these I.C.'s is not sufficient as the heat sinks get hotter than hell.. Perhaps I'll install a new set of I.C's just to be on the safe side. Fortunately they do make the set easy to service.

As far as re-calibrating it yourself, you can get better results if you have the patience to do it, but its good to have a tech back to get the color temp correct as thay use a very costly light meter to do this. Its really impossible to get it right by eye.

Mark

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2003 09:26 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Toshiba HDX line of RPTV's have been reported as having a flicker problem as well.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2003 02:42 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, today, after many conversations with several Sears people in the past few days (Friday to Tuesday), the correct parts (CRTs) have been ordered. If I hadn't kept bugging people, I'd still be waiting for a resistor and the tech to install three resistors, which is known to not fix the problem. I probably sped up my repair by a week and a half at least by bothering people. Normally, I don't like to bother people.

My main complaint now is that Sears should have known about this problem to start with and should have ordered the correct parts the day the tech first came out. There's a bulletin about the problem on Sony's WWW site (dated January 17, 2003), mentioning the attempts to handle this problem in one call. http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/service/conselec/news/flicker.shtml

I paid $431 for my 5-year service plan. (That's $479 minus 10 percent). I feel I'm paying Sears to keep on top of things and be able to take advantage of the most up-to-date information about problems with thier merchandise. I feel they failed me here. Those that dealt directly with Sony got 7-day resolutions after the tech first visited, or got sets replaced, and they didn't have to pay anything for the service.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 09:32 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Follow-up: Today, I was authorized for a replacement set after calling the nationwide customer service 1-800 number last night. I felt having a set that had to have all 3 CRTs replaced within first year of use was unacceptable and I'd have better peace of mind with a different set.

What's funny was when I told the person on the line about all the problems and delays, and said I'd really like a replacement set, preferably a different brand, she said "That sounds reasonable." Things went uphill from there.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2003 03:34 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Hitachi 57" SWX20b was delivered today and the Sony was picked up. Hopefully, I won't have any "afterlife" problems. :-)

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2003 07:54 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans: I recently bought my first big screen TV and the salesman strongly pushed the Hitachi 57". I bought it and am delighted. The automatic convergeance feature is terrific. As an aside, I also recently bought a Viewsonic data projector. It's about the size of a laptop and weighs less than 5 pounds with 1500 lumens. I bought it for use with Powerpoint presentations at trade shows, but with component inputs for DVD it puts an AMAZING television picture on the screen.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-20-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, Sears will probably repair the old set and market it as "refurbished" and peddle it for only a few bucks under what it orginal retail price was, or they will use it as a replacement of a like unit that died.

They pulled this same crap on me with a VCR when VHS was starting to become very popular. When mine died under warranty, they gave me this "refurbished" POS that was almost as bad as the orginal.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 08:53 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,

the auto convergence is great, but it will most likely need tweaking it get it 100%.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: