Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Where to find DVD bargains

Author Topic: Where to find DVD bargains
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-28-2003 06:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been very fortunate to have five major DVD dealers near me and if you include Comp USA and Sun Coast, the count is seven. The retailers include the two heavy discount stores, Costco and Sams Club. Two other stores that are not bad with their pricing is Walmart and Circuit City with at lease $5.00 off the regular retail and Walmart's super prices that are even better than Costco and Sams on extremely popular mainstream titles such as "SPIDERMAN" at $14.94 at the time of release. The other store I buy discs is Tower Video but their prices are set at regular retail except for selected new titles which most cases is only $5.00 off list. Towere is a good store for hard to find titles if you do not want to shop via the internet because of their large selections. The two store with the best prices however is Costco and Sams Club. Towers sale price for "WEST SIDE STORY" Special Edition two disc edition which is coming out on April 1st will $34.95 compared to the normal $39.95 list. Costco's price will be $22.95. "RED DRAGON" i understand will be $18,95 for the regular edition. I am not sure if Costco and Sam will be carrying the special two disc director's edition. Except for sales on very popular mainstream titles, Sun Coast like Tower Video sells most of their discs at full list. The same is also true with Comp USA. Honolulu will be getting it;s first Best Buy store in about a year and I was told their DVD prices and selections are not bad at all.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-28-2003 07:33 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been buying a lot of used DVD's through Amazon.com and I also got a few from a pawn shop. There are so many movies that I'd like to have to see once-in-a-while where it doesn't matter if it isn't brand new (or the super-deluxe, director's cut, special, limited, collector's edition). Quite often, I have received brand-new product even though it may have been listed as used. One time I got the disc only with no case or artwork -- I always inquire via email before buying now.

I have found that Amazon's prices on new DVD's are lower than the actual stores I browsed (in Fort Lauderdale, Florida).

I believe that Paul Linfesty was saying that Borders is even cheaper than Amazon, but I'll let him confirm if that is indeed what he said.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2003 07:38 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bargains? I LIVE for bargains. I think I've only paid list price for 1 DVD, and that was an obscure Anime title for my son.

Best deals are typically the first week of release. BEST BUY and CIRCUIT CITY are usually lowest, but I've seen TARGET and WAL-MART come in very low. Watch the ads on Sunday, as DVD's usually come out on Tuesday.

After that, very few place beat DEEP DISCOUNT DVD. I've had very good service from them. Free shipping is slow, but I'm usually in no hurry.

OVERSTOCK.COM has some occasional bargains, but you have to be careful. They will use the old prices for things that have gone down in price, looking like a better deal than it really is.

To check various places, I use dvdpricesearch.com.

I avoid Canadian companies, as I don't want to get involved in international shipping. I'm sure there are some fine companies there, I just don't want to deal with that extra possible problem.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Borders usually knock 5 bucks off mgm and WB titles (19.99 list, 14.99 in store). But for other companies, they can be all over the map. I will check Walmart of Target for brand new releases. They usually have 1 week low prices before going up. After that, Ill check Costco or check DVD Planet which has consistently the lowest price for DVD's overall, and one of the lowest shipping rates. Circuit City also throws in some good specials.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-28-2003 09:41 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Thanks for reminding me about Borders. How can I ever forget them when I was able to find the following out of print DVDs to replace the ones that were stolen by a burglar?
I looked everywhere and the Borders store very near me had the special editions of "Walt Disney's"TARZAN", "ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW". "INDEPEDENCE DAY" and they were the only store in Honolulu that had the new Superbit "FROM HERE TO ETERNITY" I reviewed here at Film Tech not too long ago. I also bought the Superbit "DAS BOOT", one of my favorite World War II submarine films at the same time. Yes, they also have good prices.

-Claude

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2003 08:55 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Rite Aid yesterday and saw there DVD section. Appartently every store on the face of the earth sells DVD's or VHS. All DVD's 14.99. They had Spiderman, Signs, Pearl Harbor Special Editon and many other new movies for just 14.99. I was real impressed with the older movies they had. [Smile]

I picked up Superman II and Disturbing Behavior. I have wanted those DVD's for years and low and behold Rite Aid has them. Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!! [Smile]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-04-2003 03:04 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi William.

I am Very envious! [Smile]

Yes, the prices for the SE of "PEARL HARBOR" is a great bargain but "SPIDERMAN" is only $5.00 cheaper than the discounted price at many stores. If it is the Ultra Special edition box set than that is another matter. I am afraid you did not get much of a deal with the two titles you bought because both "SUPERMAN II" and "DISTURBING BEHAVIOR" retails for $19.95 and can be purchased at the price you paid at almost every discount dealer such as Circuit City, Borders if they had them in stock and all on line vendors. If you bought the "PEARL HARBOR", "THE LORD OF THE RINGS", "ET" or the "BACK TO THE FUTURE" special edition box sets at $14.95, you would have got yourself a great bargain! Another great buy at $14.95 would have been the special edition of "WEST SIDE STORY" that was just released this past Tuesday. The regular retail is $39,95 and the best price I have seen for this title is $21.95 at Costco and perhaps Sams Club. The Tower Video near me has it on sale at $34.95.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: