Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Movie of the Day COMMENTS (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Movie of the Day COMMENTS
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2003 02:07 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put you comments here. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-01-2003 03:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Heart and Souls is a very good movie that generally got missed during it's theatrical release. Anyone who hasn't seen it really should go out and rent it.

It is scope too! [Smile]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-01-2003 09:05 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Released in 1993, I believe it was the second feature from universal pictures to feature DTS sound.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2003 12:18 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw this movie.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2003 02:29 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Defending Your Life - I was this on one of the pay cable movie channels last week (just about an hour) ... it seemed interesting ... off to Blockbuster I go.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2003 03:36 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rented Defending Your Life after Brad originally posted his review in the reviews section.
After seeing how many movies he hates, I just had to see something he actually did like. [Razz]
Pretty good flick.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-02-2003 06:32 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Defending Your Life" --pretty good film. Watched it again when it aired on HBO a couple weeks back. "Heart and Souls" was pretty good. I watched it in DTS at GCC Northpark #1-#2 ("Jurassic Park" had both 1-2 screens there, but "Heart and Souls" took the #1 theater for a while --I seem to remember "JP" going back to the #1 screen).

"Heart and Souls" is also the reason why DTS changed their time code to include Film ID data. I'm sure there are others here who heard the stories about theaters who forgot to swap out CDs for "JP" and "Heart and Souls." Customers were complaining they were hearing loud velociraptor screams during a comedy.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 02:04 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the criterion edition 2 weeks ago & played it to my son. He thought it was too cool for words. The played Starship Troopers as a double feature.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a "Criterion Edition" DVD as opposed to a regular-edition DVD? Is it sort of like MFSL releases of audio recordings? (Better quality, more features, etc.)

=TMP=

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 06:10 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, here is the link

Criterion Home Page

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-04-2003 06:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Criterion company licenses special editions of certain films. They started doing this when laserdisc was popular. Some of the best Criterion LD titles were CAV edition of "Close Encounters" and "Lawrence of Arabia."

When DVD came onto the scene Criterion released new special editions of other films. "Robocop" was one of those titles. It wasn't long on features, but it did contain the original "X-rated" cut and a very good commentary track the film's director (Paul Verhoeven) and the shows producers and writers. It's kind of revealing on the MPAA's system on censorship. The Criterion version of "Robocop" is no longer in print, but there are plenty of other special edition DVDs there.

Incidentally, wasn't "Robocop" the very first film to be released with Dolby SR optical tracks? "Star Trek IV" had Dolby SR on two 70mm mag prints that played in Los Angeles, but all the 35mm prints were Dolby A.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-04-2003 06:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe no comments about Fast Times at Ridgemont High! (I'm assuming once the "day" is over for that particular film, no more comments on it? Or is that wrong?)

What the hell, I'm gonna make a comment anyway: The "Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool" scene is among the greatest moments ever filmed. (in the teenage nudity division) [eyes] [thumbsup]

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 06:55 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, this thread is for any comment about any movie of the day or about the game and the rules itself.
The only place the one post per day rule applies is in the movie of the day thread itself.
It would be more interesting though if thee is a little more information than just a movie title as their pick of movie of the day.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-05-2003 03:05 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the original cut of "Robocop" made it worthy of the coveted X rating? Violence? Robo-nudity?

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2003 03:12 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Violence. The scene in the beginning of the film with the ED-209 was part of it. That scene went on much longer and the poor guy looked like hambuger afterwards. Another scene is the death of Murphy. There was a camera shot through his head after Clarence shot him there. Pretty graphic...just the way I like it! [Big Grin] [evil]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: