Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » MOVIE OF THE DAY (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: MOVIE OF THE DAY
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2003 02:03 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that the quote game is over, and the four word game is not as popular as the three word game (the four word game was started as a joke anyway), its time for a new game of sorts.

This one is called MOVIE OF THE DAY.
I got the idea from a music site that I go to where someone posts their pick for Band of the day.

Here are the rules:

Only one post allowed in this thread per day.
The forums clock determines what day it is.
Midnight is the beginning of the day.
After I post the movie of the day for today, no one else can post in this thread until midnight (according to this forum's clock) January 2, 2003.

Try not to pick something too recent.
Thats what will keep this different from the reviews section, as most of the reviews in that forum are for more recent titles.
Ideally at least 5 years old.

Anything goes.
Any time period, and country, and even straight to video movies if you want.
Just try not to make it too well known and try to make it something that is easy to find in a video store.
Star Wars and Indiana Jones are not ideal candidates, but are not disallowed.

Try to provide some information on the movie you are posting as the movie of the day.
Main cast members, synopsis, year of release, and a mini-review are good.
This is really easy to do using the Internet Movie Database or The All Movie Guide

Please do not reply to any post in this thread.
I will make a new thread for comments.

So to get things started, here is the fist movie of the day.

HEART AND SOULS
Starring Robert Downey Jr, Charles Grodin, Alfre Woddard, Tom Sizemore, David Paymer, and Elizabeth Shue.

Director Ron Underwood follows up his crowd-pleasing hit City Slickers (1991) with this likable, feel-good comedy drama about a selfish businessman who discovers that he's permanently being followed by a group of ghosts. In 1959, a bus accident links the spirits of four fatally injured passengers to a newborn baby whose birth is caused by the crash. For 25 years, Milo (Tom Sizemore), Harrison (Charles Grodin), Penny (Alfre Woodard) and Julia (Kyra Sedgwick) remain bound to Thomas Reilly (Robert Downey Jr.), who believes the quartet to be imaginary childhood friends that have long since disappeared. When the four spooks suddenly realize that they are meant to use Thomas as a conduit to bring closure to their unfinished corporeal lives, they reemerge, causing Thomas to think that he's gone insane. As he becomes reattached to his supernatural companions, however, Thomas' innate decency asserts itself and he begins helping them to right the wrongs in their lives, allowing them to possess his body to achieve their goal of settling accounts and moving on into the afterlife.

I vaguely remember someone in my family renting this when it came out on video and I saw part of it on cable sometime in the past couple of months.
I bought it on Christmas day on VHS for $1.99 at a convenience store, but have not watched it again yet.
It is a funny, yet, touching movie that could make nearly anyone happy.
Not something I would want to watch alone though.
This may fall into the category of "date" movies.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-02-2003 12:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
DEFENDING YOUR LIFE

"The first true story of what happens after you die."

Excellent movie. In my Top 10 of all time. You can check out the movie reviews forum for this one too.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-03-2003 12:51 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-04-2003 12:03 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROBOCOP

A would-be trashy "B" flick turns out to be a satirical, yet very brutal, toungue-in-cheek kind of science fiction film. The original cut of the film got slammed with an X-rating by the MPAA. The DVD by Criterion is now out of print, but if you can find a copy I recommend you buy it. The commentary track is nearly as entertaining as the movie.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-05-2003 12:20 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To live and die in L.A.

Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2003 11:15 PM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 5,000 Fingers of Dr T.
1953 Tommy Rettig?
the only Dr Suess piece to be done as a live action film.
"The Happy Finger Method"

Gordon Hedges III
Jealous of everyone not me

- posted 01-07-2003 03:18 AM      Profile for Gordon Hedges III   Email Gordon Hedges III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hustler [thumbsup]

THE HUSTLER (1961) : IMDb

Starring Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason, George C. Scott and Piper Laurie.

Truly one of my favorites and still a great film even at this time and age.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-07-2003 04:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Titfield Thunderbolt" for sure......
This is how a railroad SHOULD be run!
Mark

P.S. Brad said....."The first true story of what happens after you die."
But Brad....you'd have to eat seafood if ya go to Judgement City!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-07-2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"BLACK NARCISSUS" (1947) With Deborah Kerr, Flora Robson and David Farrar. I was only 8 years old when our parents took my brother and my sister and me to see this movie and even as young as I was, I was not able to forget the stunning visual images of this film. It was not until many years later when I was almost twenty years old that I realize why I never forgot this film. I now have the movie on DVD and one of the things that make watching this excellent film is the very beautiful three strip Technicolor photography.

-Claude

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 09:07 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WINTER KILLS 1979. Directed by William Richert. Supposed to get a DVD release this year. A true looney tune of a movie, with Jeff Bridges trying to uncover the conspiracy that was responsible for killing his brother, the U.S. President. John Huston gives an over-the-top performance of his father (think Kennedy family). The film also has an over-the-top visual style. It's a hoot, but in a good way.

Gordon Hedges III
Jealous of everyone not me

- posted 01-09-2003 02:34 AM      Profile for Gordon Hedges III   Email Gordon Hedges III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
COOL HAND LUKE [thumbsup]

COOL HAND LUKE (1967) : IMDb

Starring: Paul Newman (yes, another Newman flick)

quote:
Lucas (Luke) Jackson: I can eat fifty eggs.
Dragline: Nobody can eat fifty eggs.
Other Prisoner: You just said he could eat anything.
Dragline: Did you ever eat fifty eggs?
Lucas (Luke) Jackson: Nobody ever eat fifty eggs.
Other Prisoner: Hey, Babalugats! We got a bet here!
Dragline: My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
Other Prisoner: Yeah, but in how long?
Lucas (Luke) Jackson: A hour.
Other Prisoner: Well, I believe I'll take part of that wager!

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2003 02:04 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ANGUS

Starring: Charlie Talbert, Kathy Bates, George C. Scott, Ariana Richards, Chris Owen, and James Van Der Beek

High schooler Angus (Charlie Talbert), a jumbo-sized lad, seems underappreciated in all aspects of his life: he is a standout offensive lineman on the football team, but golden-boy quarterback Rick (James Van der Beek) gets all the accolades for his blood, sweat, and pass-blocking; he is also an outstanding student, but his classmates still regard him as a dork; the girl of his dreams (Arian Richards), Rick's girlfriend, seems to ignore him. Only when Angus musters the courage to put on a maroon tuxedo and head off to the school dance at the urging of his loving, free-spirit mom (Kathy Bates) does he finally get the recognition he deserves (as does Rick, who attempts to publicly humiliate Angus with a cruel prank). While the story is familiar, director Patric Johnson and the entire cast infuse the film with real warmth, making Angus a winner (as does its refreshing attitude toward violence).

Angus did decent, but not too well at the box office from what I remember.
I saw this in an empty auditorium on a Thursday night while waiting for our employee screening of SE7EN.
I had not originally planned on watching this movie, but I had seen the first few minutes that weekend and thought it was pretty funny, so I decided why not?
I fell in love with the movie instantly and nothing since has been able to top it as my favorite movie of all time.
Love Spit Love's "Am I Wrong?" was a good opening tune, and the marching band playing along made it even better.
I also nearly died when Melissa LeFevre picked Mazzy Star's "Fade Into You" as the song she and Angus would dance to.
I love that song.
I was able to relate to this movie really well, not because I was a fat kid (I wasn't), but because I was picked on a lot when I was a kid because I was an obnoxious hyperactive brad that no one liked.
You should rent this movie NOW!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-12-2003 11:39 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot [thumbsup]

1974. Jeff Bridges gives an amazing performance early in his film career. Clint Eastwood is in top form -- love that opening sequence of him preaching the gospel, then being shot at and chased out of the chapel by George Kennedy. Also loaded with great character actors like Geoffrey Lewis, Gary Busey, Vic Tayback, and Dub Taylor. A very good film, worth checking out if you've never seen it. A Michael Cimino film (writer & director). Photographed in Panavision; looks terrible in pan-and-scan, so try to find a letterboxed version if you can.

Eastwood: "You don't look so good, kid."
Bridges: "I believe you're right."

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 11:48 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Permanent Record

"High school Senior year. His suicide shattered their world. Their courage drove them to pick up the pieces."

I liked this 1988 teen high school drama movie. The first time I watched this move I was blown away by Keanu Reeves performance. The one scene that gets me is, when Chris(Reeves) is driving drunk almost hits Alans little brother and then falls apart in Alan's father arms. The scene is very powerful, I think.

A good rental for a date.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2003 04:17 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GET CRAZY (1983) http://us.imdb.com/Title?0085551

IMHO this film is not only on par with Rock & Roll High School, it's twice the fun! It's a non-stop string of verbal and sight gags packed with the best B-actors, music and of course, Lou Reed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: