Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972)

Author Topic: The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972)
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2002 06:26 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Attendance: Home, VHS Cassette. No skilltesters in sight.

This film was advertised as an Academy Award winner (Best Foreign Film) and starred, amongst others, Bulle Ogier so I decided to borrow the Video and have a look.

Like many films from the early 1970s I noted the difference in color immediately. I always find films of this era to have a 'washed out' look. Whether it is the quality of film used, the size of the budget, or the technical standards of that time I am unsure.

Turning to the film I ended up quite disappointed with the result. Reviews I have seen of this film talk about how hilariously funny the satire is however I found the film to be disjointed and unclear.

The film essentially focusses on a group of well-to-do friends who, it appears, continually try to get together to have a meal but whose repast is always spoilt by some absurd event occurring.

This theme is repeated throughout the film but this is about as close as the film gets to a plot. Worse still the latter part of the film descends into a series of dream sequences which confuse matters even more. The ending is something of a non-ending and one ends up wondering what the plot was exactly. Did I also mention that the film is not terribly funny?

Some might call this art, others satire but I call it bad film-making.

Perhaps if Bulle Ogier had exposed some more of her considerable... ah.. ummm ... acting talents the film might have benefited however we are spared even this small mercy.

Verdict: - 3 stars out of 10. One to avoid.

cheers peter

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: