Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » The Dead Pool (1988) VHS

Author Topic: The Dead Pool (1988) VHS
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2002 02:37 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Haven't we all wished that someone would bump off Jim Carrey at one time or another. Well he gets his in the final Dirty Harry to date.

A nice transfer to video and lots of nice colour made this film pleasant to watch.

Not as many one-liners in this film unfortunately but this is made up for somewhat with an imaginative plot. The car chase involving a toy car with explosives attached is far fetched but works nonetheless. Liam Neeson is well cast as a loopy film director.

At times Eastwood looks a little stilted (such as when talking to his bosses) however the film does get into a nice rhythym and the final scene is a classic.

Overall the action and plot were pretty good. I gave this film 85%.

cheers Peter

PS This is the last of the Dirty Harry films to date. I can't help thinking that a 6th Dirty Harry film pitting Harry against some overseas terrorists might be a timely and popular addendum to what has been a fine series of films. There is no doubt that a sixth film would be popular. Perhaps Eastwood would care to play an ageing, retired Harry called out of retirement by a San Francisco Police Force desperate to stop a wave of terrorist acts in SF. In the age we live in such a plot is not all that far fetched.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-08-2002 12:23 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the Dead Pool. I loved the film. It was a bit hokey, but dirty harry films are that way. Loved it anyway.

As far as doing another one? We could get an aging and retired Dirty Harry to come back to the force when he recognizes the work of a terrorist he busted but should be dead, a case that we never say. This way he has to come back to unlock the mystery of who the terrorist is and just how and WHY the world would look to an 80 year old man to do the trick.

It would be entertaining, and probably make about a billion dollars.

dave

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: