Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Progressive Scam DVD Players (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Progressive Scam DVD Players
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2001 12:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a question for you video guys. I have a 50" Mitsubishi HDTV set that has an input for the tuner that includes the normal R,G,B inputs plus inputs for H and V drive signals. Is there any way to hook up a progressive scan DVD to this set? I was told by the dealer that most sets now being made have just the R, G, B inputs and usually at least 3 sets of them. Mine just has one set of these. At any rate he said that he is pretty sure that Mistubishi makes an adaptor box that will allow hooking up more HD inputs to the set although he was unable to tell me any part or model number for it.
Any one out there know anything about this?
Thanks for any help with this.......
Mark @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 06:09 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have all the inputs you need. The set has RGBHV but if the player only has RGB just plug them in and they should work. Usually the sync is on green. If you have RGB and Black just plug them in to GRBH and it should work just fine. If the DVD player has a 15 pin sub D output you can get a "Shred" at Best Buy in the cable isle. If the player has BNC connectors instead of RCA you can adapters at Radio Snack.

It's all good.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-19-2001 06:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me Mark, but doesn't the TV and the DVD player both have instructions for that connection?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-19-2001 06:49 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't the monitor have to specifically support progressive-scan mode for this to work? Somehow, I was under the impression that it won't work with just any old monitor that happens to have separate BNC connectors for RGB input.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-19-2001 07:15 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do need to see if your DVD machine's outputs are RGB or component (Y/R-Y/B-Y or Y/Pr/Pb or some other flavor thereof). If the DVD outputs are RGB you're set. If they're component, you'll need a transcoder (Audio Authority makes a good one for around $130 street price).

There are component/RGB switchers available that would give you more inputs--Inline and Extron make good ones. Used to use 'em for convention work in 'Vegas.

The only other thing to watch out for is some HD TVs automatically switch to anamorphic mode when using the RGB inputs--this will require a workaround.

BTW try this site for all sorts of good data regarding HD home equipment tweeks, service menus, ISF/SMPTE calibration tips, and equipment reviews: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/

Cheers!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2001 10:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a million guys for all the info! I'll check the suggestions out and go form there.

Joe, Whats happenning to you? You seem to be getting larger and larger....
Actually progressive scam DVD's came out after my HDTV did. We've had it for about 2 years now.
Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-20-2001 03:21 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Mark I am coming to get you.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-27-2001 06:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those that may own a Mitsubishi 1st generation HDTV they do make a converter, or as Paul puts it a transcoder. Its a model #RGB-CV10 and costs allot, plus there is not a Mits dealer that knows about it. It will convert the now standard HD signal of Y, Pb,and Pr to R,G,B,H,V and probably some other unwanted signals. Although this was designed for HD satellite receivers Mits says it will work with a DVD or any other standard HD source but it will only work with a MITS TV as this box does the aspect ratio control.
Mark @ GTS

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-27-2001 06:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All this TV talk makes me appreciate how much easier it is to just go to the movies!

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2001 09:07 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So has anyone come out with a HDTV projector yet?

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2001 11:25 AM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many manufacturers now equip their projectors with the appropriate inputs to accept HDTV scan formats (480p, 1080i, etc.), it has become quite a popular feature over the past year. The downside is that nobody provides a built-in tuner.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-28-2001 04:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitsubishi has just come out with a neat rear screen that uses DLP instead of CRT's. I have not seen one yet but I can imagine that it will be expensive. It ought to look good though especially in a size range where the elements can't be seen on screen.
There are many HDTV projectors out that are suitable for home use if you don't mind watching digital video and putting up with all it's artifacts.
Mark@ GTS

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-30-2011 08:11 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 3563 days since the last post.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-30-2011 08:11 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a question for someone.

Lets say I have a bluray-dvd player.

Does it really matter if the player has progressive scan?

My hunch is the new bluray-dvd players are better than a dvd only progressive scan.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-30-2011 04:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You cannot get a BD player that doesn't feature progressive scan capability on DVDs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: