Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Star Wars - EP:1 - DVD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Star Wars - EP:1 - DVD
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2001 01:07 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
News article from Dallas Morning News

CLICK HERE

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-24-2001 02:24 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...right. THAT'S why he didn't release it first.

If he had done so, how would he get to have people buy it twice?

It's all about the money.

------------------
"If you think THIS is fantastic...wait until you see the full effect with the HIMP!"
- Chief Inspector Clouseau.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-24-2001 03:55 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
everything is about the money unfortunatly. Hopefully this thing will be loaded to the gills with special features. I want it for the 5.1 digital sound. Wish they would go ahead and do the first trilogy. plus this is another way to push the next film.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-24-2001 04:56 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you REALLY wanted Ep1 for the 5.1 digital sound, you'd get the Japanese LaserDisc which has been available for a couple of years now. I'm sure it has the exact same Dolby Digital, bit for bit, that will be on the DVD. I have the first three (Special Editions) on LaserDisc, all in 5.1 Dolby Digital and the sound is fantastic.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 02:46 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally,
I am hoping that the whole STAR WARS series will be released in the futute (all six) on a special value package DVD set with an extra Dvd or more with extra footage or whatever. It will be great to see it in DIGITAL sound and even better to watch Star Wars EP1 in 6.1 channels!!
Demetris Thoupis

"MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU"

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 05:41 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

This was always a no-win situation for Lucas. If he'd released a "movie-only" DVD at the same time as the VHS version, people would be accusing him of trying to make us buy it again when the "Special Edition" DVD would inevitably be released. Even by taking sufficient time to produce an impressively-packed DVD version, there are still people who say that the VHS-first approach was just a way to make us buy it twice. If he'd released an American laserdisc back when he did the VHS version, that still wouldn't have made a differece to his critics. Now there are even people saying that 6 hours of extra material on the DVD is, somehow, still not enough. I can't think of another filmmaker whose so-called fans have been this cruel or who have whined this much.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-24-2001 06:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I can't believe is that most people hated this movie in the theater, and now all of a sydden they MUST have it on DVD? Why? It will suck just as much on DVD. If you just want to see the extra stuff I'd recommend renting it.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 06:36 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, it could be just another case of instant kharma. Luca$ was the first (to my knowledge) to say no to projectionists screening his films before showing them and back it up with threats. For a person making films that are purportedly against an "evil empire" his tactics have sure been a lot more congruent with that empire than his protagonist rebels. Lucas was mentored by Joseph Campbell as his Obi Wan, yet he appears to have a lot in common with the character in his movie that was seduced to the dark side, rather than Luke.

Besides, anyone who put a Jar Jar into a landmark sci-fi series like S.W. ought to be forced to watch a prequel to GWTW with Abbott and Costello as main characters. He dumbed down his prequel to fit the current demographics of moviegoers rather than remaining true to any vision he might have had. I'm not surprised his fans are cruel.

I've written him off as a meaningful creator. I don't much care what he has on DVD now or in the future. Lost in time... Lost in space.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 07:34 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could care less about this flick, but Im one of the ones waiting for the Indiana Jones trilogy, wonder what's holding those back? I happen to think alot of the complains for Ep. 1 dvd are a little unfounded, since I remember reading the McCallum's comments about how they were originally going to release all 6 flicks when done, in "super duper" versions, with unlimited extras, etc etc. But then then everyone started whining about having to wait 5 years or however long its going to be till ep. 3 is done, so they were probably forced to put a shortened version of what they originally wanted to do.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 08:00 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even your comments don't make complete sense to me, Jerry. If Lucas has somehow fallen from grace and is nothing more than a has-been director, then let him go. Why spend so much effort to denounce him? He financed Episode One with his own money and, unfortunately for you, he made all that money back. Congratulate yourself if you didn't make a significant contribution to his wealth this time and then move on with your life. Meanwhile, he's putting all that "instant kharma" right into his bank account.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-24-2001 08:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry, I specifically remember getting a memo from the studio (signed by Lucas) along with the prints of Episode 1 that said that a projectionist (and only a projectionist) is to screen each print as soon as possible to check for defects before it is shown to an audience. I don't remember any threats about screening it at all.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 11:02 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get the people who expect every DVD to have 'extras'- I buy DVDs for the MOVIE- if they put behind-the-scenes stuff on it, great, but if they don't, and it's a movie I like, and it's reasonably priced, I'll buy it anyway! I would've been happy with a DVD of "Episode 1" with JUST the MOVIE on it- those who want the 'extras' could have just waited, but those who didn't could still have the MOVIE! What if every movie shown in theaters had 'extras' at the end of it? I guess nobody'd see those since they're in such a hurry to get out!

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2001 04:04 AM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucas is a money making genious, what ever decision he makes im right there with him.....I would guess that Lucas tried to hold out as long as he could with this whole "intellectual rights" argument vs digital copies of his movies.....but alas...he too has fallen to the great World Wide Pirate Web!! There are so many sites out there where you can download EP1 movie in an .asf file format<windows media player> with perfect digital and audio sound.....im afraid that my guess would be to just put it out there and make the money as it can come. His initial idea to hold out was however brilliant. The irony to this is the EP1 laserdisc that was released in Japan. sure it has japanese subtitles but its still the movie in a perfect digital format in my opinion better in quality to DVD. So what is the real reason the DVD is being released?
Rory

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2001 04:57 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lost in time... Lost in space.

Also, he has no neck.

------------------
William Hooper
Junk drawer: http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/theater/3622
Theatre Empire: http://members.nbci.com/saenger.1

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-25-2001 01:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LaserDisc is analog. Only the sound is digital. And most of the time they have a backup analog soundtrack as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: