Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DTS DVDs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: DTS DVDs
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-14-2001 09:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK what the hell? I just got U-571 on DVD (which has both Dolby Digital and DTS tracks on the same disc). My receiver has both Dolby Digital and DTS and all that crap. My DTS player also has both Dolby Digital and DTS. But U-571 defaults to Dolby Digital no matter what. There is no menu to select DTS. I cannot select DTS manually from the receiver. DTS is turned on the the DVD player set up menu.

How the hell do I get a dual Dolby Digital/DTS DVD to play DTS?

It sure is a lot easier to deal with in a REAL theater!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-14-2001 10:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I found it. The option was under the "Languages" submenu. How appropriate.

Does anyone besides me absolutely hate DVD menus? Especially the ones that animate, and those that you have to watch for a few seconds until the options come up. I also hate having to watch the studio logo that pops up before the menu, then only to watch it again after you get through the menu and select "play". And I love not being able to skip the WARNING DO NOT COPY screen. That screen alone is enough reason to pirate movies. I'd pay for a version that didn't have that screen I do not like not having the option to skip segments of video when watching something in my own home. Is this really fair?

Sorry to appear so negative lately. DVDs piss me off. But I don't have much of a choice. I think THAT'S what pisses me off.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-2001 10:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
All of that nonsense just serves as a reminder that you are watching video instead of real film, Joe.

However you have brought up a major pet peeve of mine. Some DVDs seem to require 10 minutes of prep time to make them play in Dolby Digital, while others won't play in stereo if you search through every menu (case in point, Paramount's "The Wonder Boys"). Having to sit through those cutesy menus is a real aggravation. Why can the DVD industry not settle on some kind of "escape" format that is standardized, much like entering a website done in Flash has a "regular" entrance or a "skip introduction" link for the people who don't want to mess with the snazzy Flash stuff to get to where they want. Having to sit through a 5 second audio loop playing while I am trying to figure out where the navigational buttons are certainly puts ME in the mood to enjoy the "film". Geez.

I can hardly wait for the DVDs that force the complete playing of advertising trailers before they will allow you to get to a menu. Just wait. It'll be here sooner than you think!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-14-2001 10:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sixth Sense FORCES you to watch a trailer for something or other the first time you play the disc in a particular machine. I refuse to buy that disc (that, and the fact that I can't watch that movie more than twice).

And when I rented "Bean" at one time, I could NOT turn off the Spanish subtitles no matter what I tried. And I tried everything. I took the disc back to the rental shop and got refunded.

Anyone who thinks DVDs are a godsend needs to rethink the situation.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-2001 10:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Precisely why Blockbuster should rent 35mm film prints.

Harry Robinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2001 11:04 PM      Profile for Harry Robinson   Email Harry Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that!

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2001 12:04 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some DVD players will let you skip past the ads & trailers before the movie (or the menu... ). My Phillips/Magnavox (Circa 1998) is one of these. It will "punch through" most all previews & warnings (Except on Fox or Paramount Discs)
Unfortunately, most of the new Phillips players no longer have this feature. If you try to hit chapter skip during the FBI logo, it just restarts the logo.

I hate having to select the DTS soundtrack too, but what's worse is having to select the Dolby 5.1 soundtrack!! Basically every Paramount, Fox, & Sony DVD has a Dolby Surround 2 channel track that is set as the default soundtrack. What is the point of this?!!!
Every DVD player can downmix a 5.1 channel soundtrack into a linear 2 channel output, so technically, the studios are just wasting space on the disc. Could that space be used for a DTS track?

Tom Mathley
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2001 12:27 AM      Profile for Tom Mathley   Email Tom Mathley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

There are a couple of tricks that might work on your player.

Try hitting the DVD menu button when the animation begins to load. In some cases that will skip you directly to the menu you want. If that doesn't work, try the chapter skip/next chapter button. I've found that one or the other works on every DVD I've played (I'm not a fan of the FBI and Interpol warnings either.)

I am told that the Titan AE DVD defaults to DTS but I don't own a copy of it to check. Anyone know for sure?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-15-2001 01:09 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I try to hit the chapter skip or menu when I am not supposed to, I get the "You're not allowed to do that now" icon that flashes on the screen.

The closest thing to a trick I've been able to do is on the DVD of Gladiator. The Dreamworks logo starts (before the menu). I press MENU to skip this BS, and the menu animation starts. I press MENU again in an attempt to skip the animation. Instead I am taken back to the point in the Dreamworks logo where I left off. Pressing Menu again immediately takes me to the menu, but skips the animation so I can actually get on with what I want to do. I choose DTS, press play, sit thru the DTS trailer and WARNING screens, etc, then get to watch the Dreamworks logo AGAIN! Hooray! Although this time it is the DW logo that is part of the feature. I'm not sure why Dreamworks feels the need to put a logo on before the menu. I wish the studios would release a DVD with nothing but the studio logos repeated over and over. Oh yeah, and a whole bunch of WARNING screens as well.

I'm sure if it wasn't for the unskippable WARNING screens on every DVD that piracy would be prevelant, studios would all go bankrupt and we would be a nation of criminals, just like those crazy Aussies Thank God the WARNING screens are unskippable!

I like LaserDisc. Just put it in and press play. But I like the size, picture quality and storage space of DVD.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2001 01:34 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your player must be one of those that is just really damn picky,

or perhaps the government got to it...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2001 02:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I'd like to see them go all 70mm!
Mark @ GTS

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-15-2001 10:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just dispense with the whole problem and put the disk on my computer and rip them onto the hard drive. Then I delete the boring parts and jus watch the good parts. Then when I get bored with fooling around with a particular movie I erase it and go rent another one.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-16-2001 02:38 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Randy, your iMac does not have Dolby Digital or DTS, nor can you even add a sound card capable of outputting said sound formats (iMacs cannot be upgraded). So you have to listen to it through whatever sound system the iMac is hooked up to.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-16-2001 07:56 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don['t give a flyin' frogleap about that. If I want to watch it in digital sound I'll just hop in the car and drive over to the nearest theatre. There are benefits to having the keys to the building, y'know!

Honestly, I think it's a waste of money to have a home theatre. How much money does your average setup cost? $1,000? Add the cost of buying/renting movies and you'd probably have to watch a movie every day for 6 months to equal the cost of just going to the theatre.

I'd rather spend the money getting a video camera, etc so I can Make movies!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-16-2001 05:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to see it in digital, you'll just go down to the theater? But what about the movies that are no longer at a theater? Or do you keep a print of every movie around just in case?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: