Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Phantom Menace DVD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Phantom Menace DVD
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2001 12:16 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so the movie blew (in comparison to the original trilogy), and Jar Jar didn't get killed off, but technically what have you guys thought aboutthe Episode I DVD?
I picked it up today & my first impression was that there wasn't the normal fifty pamphlets that fly out of most Fox Releases. I watched the major scenes on my DD system at home & the sound was decent. DTS woulda been better, & it definitley sounded better in our newly calibrated THX/SRD theater when it was released, but for a Dolby soundtrack it was good. The picture detail was great, even better on my computer (Progressive scan, how do i love thee?...)

I thought the extras were good, those that i got thru. The trailers woulda been better if they had been encoded in 6 channel instead of the pro logic crap they were subjected to.

All in all, probably not the best DVD this year, but worth the wait for Star Wars on DVD? Maybe...

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-17-2001 01:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I certainly won't buy it, I am eager to borrow it from a friend whom I know will buy it just just so I can listen to the pod race scene on my home Dolby Digital system, which sounds pretty damn good (could sound better with a real EQ). There is nothing else redeeming about the movie, unfortunately. Except maybe the light saber battle towards the end. But even that gets ruined because they keep cutting back and forth to the animated cartoon (which reminds me of Jedi where they kept cutting back and forth to the teddy bears and totally ruined any suspense). Who edits these things?

As for the extras, I'll probably watch them. The "additional scenes" that they showed on TV looked horribly bad, especially the scene where What's His Butt and What's His Face (can't even remember character or actor names from the movie, they were that impressionable) are caught in a river or some kind of flowing water. Even on TV it looked incredibly fake!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-17-2001 03:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucasfilm will correct that gross error about not providing a discrete 6 channel mix on the trailers and re-release the DVDs all over again in 6 months so everyone can buy another copy and Lucas can make another 20 million.

Anyone else wondering if this sort of *mistake* is planned and is actually not an accident in a plot to make more money?

Phil Connolly
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2001 04:59 AM      Profile for Phil Connolly   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Connolly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess he will also wait till everyones got the Dolby Digital version, before the DTS version see's light of day - if at all.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-17-2001 09:00 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No he will probalby wait till the other two Star Wars movies have been released then put all six in a box set so you have to buy it that way just to get the last three films on DVD!!!!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2001 09:25 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about home theaters. I don't have one. Is DTS better than Dolby?

Phil Connolly
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2001 10:28 AM      Profile for Phil Connolly   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Connolly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once Lucas has milked all the boxed set options, He'll discover a few missing scenes and can the re-release everything as a special edition. The sad thing is people will buy.

Ken,

I only have 3 DTS DVDs, 'Gladiator', 'Chicken Run' and 'The Thin Red Line' in each case the DTS track is lots better sounding then the Dolby digital track.

I can't speak for other titles since the studios don't seem to release DTS disc's in the UK very much.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2001 12:18 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's too bad that when Steve tried to start a thread discussing our impressions of how this DVD succeeded technically, all he got was smart-alec remarks from people who had nothing new/intelligent to add to the anti-Lucas rhetoric.

Perry Sun of Widescreen Review claims that the bass on the Dolby Digital "Superbit" DVDs is better than it is on the DTS tracks. I don't know what that means, however. Does everyone just use bass as the measure in their DTS vs. Dolby Digital evaluations?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-17-2001 12:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,

The second posting had comments based upon the first posting and then each subsequent posting carried some of the comments further. It is not like from the second post on that everyone started posting things that came from nowhere. Threads DO vary and just because the originator asked one question does not mean that other people should not post if they have a comment that is off of the original topic. That is absurd.

Also, I have a feeling that a lot of people here are not big video fans. I know myself I rarely watch videos because of their horribly low quality...and yes, I'm even talking about DVDs with their motion artifacts that are so prominent in dark scenes. Personally I will not be purchasing the DVD for Phantom Menace because I prefer not to see the bumbling adventures of Jar Jar ever again. Oh wait, that's even further off subject, isn't it? Oh well, such is the way forum discussions work.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but I find your comments insulting toward the members who did participate, but strayed away from the original topic. That never has and never will be a policy, for some of the most interesting and useful topics have come from strayed discussions.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2001 01:03 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Brad... but hasn't the anti-Lucas and anti-Star Wars stuff been done to death already on Internet forums? I guess I'm just -- yawn -- a little bored with it -- yawn. It's as if nobody can mention anything Lucas-related without someone immediately changing the topic to a rant.

And... am I automatically insulting all of you when I make that point? I hope not. If so, then we should consider how we've insulted Steve. He clearly didn't want to discuss whether or not it was a "good movie."

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2001 02:58 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not buying this because I've heard the movie has some additional footage put back in that wasn't in the theatrical version. Additionally the subtitles during the alien-language scenes are player-generated, not on the film print itself. I never bought the original Star Wars movies on laserdisc because those had the subtitles moved off the picture and placed in the bottom black bar. Yes, I am picky!
I just LOOOVE how George Lucas delayed the DVD so long after the VHS release because he wanted to "do something really special"; this doesn't look like it really is! I would've bought a DVD of the untampered version if it'd come out the same time as the VHS.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-17-2001 03:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, no one is forcing you to read our comments, but if need be we can run all of our posts through your "intelligence" filter before actually being posted to the forums for the public to see. I don't feel my comments were off topic at all. They flow smoothly.

Also, in the post above made by me, I was not being a smart alec. I was dead serious, as I believe everyone who followed my post was. And if so many people in so many internet forums have similar opinions that you feel have been done to death, doesn't that suggest that there might be actually something wrong with the movie? Just the sheer mention of the title brings out negative opinions in lots of people who probably feel trapped by Lucas's vision. He can make the movie anyway he wants, but we don't have to like it just because it is his "vision". When he hypes a movie so much like he did, we all get VERY HIGH expectations, especially considering the first three Star Wars movies. When we are let down in such a way, it is perfectly natural to harbor more than a little resentment about it.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-18-2001 02:33 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,

Before assuming what people want to or don't want to hear maybe you should read into the original question a bit more... In Steve's question he stated that the movie blew (that would be an opinion) and when asking about a DVD its hard to just give an opinion on the DVD and not the movie itself, they go together.

As for me, Anthony is very anxious to buy the DVD, I personally didn't like the movie but I really want to check out the extras. I will let you all know what I think when we get the DVD.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-18-2001 10:10 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, we got the DVD today. As we sat there watching the extras all of the sudden we remembered that Star Trek was on....hmmmmmm Keep watching the Star Wars DVD extras or turn on reruns of Star Trek: The Next Generation....hmmmmm

We turned on Star Trek. That should answer anyones question of my opinion on the DVD.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2001 10:49 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fellow Trekkie!! Sweet!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: