Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DVD Audio Disks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: DVD Audio Disks
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-25-2001 12:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got a new DVD player and it was capable of DVD audio playback as well. I didn't buy it for that but more for the progressive scam output. At any rate I finally got around to buying several DVD audio's the other day and all I can say is WOW! What a difference, it does't sound like your listening to an electronic music source. Funny, I always will remember the arguemant I got into with J.A. about the fact that 44.1khz sampling rate was still too low. These things are simply amazing.......
Have any of you bought any of the disks out yet? If so what are some of your reccomendations to buy?
Mark @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2001 05:15 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blue Man Group...'nuff said.

Christopher M. Belch
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2001 01:34 PM      Profile for Christopher M. Belch   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher M. Belch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading an article about audio dvds in popular mechanics or something like that. They sounded really impressive, but they were a little, er, lot pricey. Obviously you feel like it was worth it. Would you mind sharing how much you paid, what you bought, what you got, ect, just so we know a little more. Thanks!!!

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-25-2001 05:53 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like amazon.com has an average price of $22.47 for rock dvd's ...

DVD-Audio at amazon.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-25-2001 09:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When regular CD's came out they were more expensive that Audio DVD's. The average price for a CD in 1981 was 30 bucks! I bought one of the first CD players that you could get at that time. A Toshiba DA-1000 and it cost a grand to buy. I think it only had a 14 bit D to A., perhaps only a 12 bit. Looking back at that it sure has come along way to where it is now. I doubt that Audio DVD's will replace CD's but then, who knows. Most new mid priced DVD players will play them and a 24 bit 96 khz D to A convertor can be had to less than 700 bucks. That D to A will decode all formats of audio disks.
Mark

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-26-2001 12:57 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>The average price for a CD in 1981 was 30 bucks!<<

Quite amazing, as the CD format wasn't formally introduced to the market until 1983!

Aaron

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2001 01:01 AM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been wanting to start playing DVD-A discs for a while, but when I originally boughy my DVD player no such abilities were to be found in the market. Now I purchased a Receiver with 6-channel inputs so I think it is time to finally purchase my fifth DVD player with DVD-A.

The closest I've come so far is the DVD music video discs I've purchased. I can't believe the difference the higher bit rate of Dolby Digital and DTS makes in DVD discs. The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over and Roy Orbison: Black & White discs are phenominal (DTS of course ;-).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-26-2001 05:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, Sorry, next time I'll just say back in the 80's.....I'm not too good at remembering exact dates, especially that long ago but I do think it was 1981. Perhaps I got mine before the general release on a large scale......My Mind has been blown out by these new DVD Audio Disks so its all IRRELEVANT(thrown in for Joe)anyway.

Seems like all the standard CD related problems have just been thrown out the door, no more brick wall filters and all the harmonics are finally all in place too. This does really make a difference. And once and for all and we can finally say so long vinyl!

Here are some of the specs that DVD Audio is capable of. I lifted these off the DVD audio web site. Note that standard CD specs are listed under the DVD specs.....

Specification
DVD-Audio
CD

Audio Format
PCM
PCM

Disk Capacity
4.7Gb - Single layer

8.5Gb - Dual Layer

17Gb – Double Sided Dual Layer
CD- 650Mb

Channels
Up to 6
CD- 2 (stereo)

Frequency Response
0 - 96kHz (max)
CD- 5 - 20kHz

Dynamic Range
144db
CD- 96db

Sampling Rate - 2 channel
44.1, 88.2, 176.4KHz or

48, 96, 192KHz
CD- 44.1kHz

Sampling Rate - multichannel
44.1, 88.2KHz or

48, 96KHz
CD- n/a

Sample Size (Quantization)
12, 16, 20, or 24 bits
CD- 16 bits

Maximum Data Rate
9.6 Mbps.
CD- 1.4Mbps

I have as of yet to find any 192 khz sampling rate disks. Anyone know of these?
Also, my JVC XV-D723 lists for 899.00 but I got it on sale at Ultimate Electronics for 399.00! So check around before spending alot of dough, you'll definately find a good deal someplace.
Mark @ GTS

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-26-2001 07:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, do you think DVD-A sounds better than Vinyl in every way so far?

I imagine it helps to have a really good receiver. Many receivers digitize the incoming analog signal (at 16bit, 44.1khz) thus eliminating any benefits derived from DVD-A. I think that just about any Realistic brand equipment sold at Radio Shack would be plenty fine

Also, CD's can hold much more than 650MB's. Try closer to 900MB (of LPCM) for the 90 minute discs now available.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-26-2001 08:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just sold my vinyl playback stuff recently. Not because of DVD Audio though, just cause I was tired of all its inconveniences. I had a really top notch setup too. VPI table, Benz cardridge and a highly modofied Audio Research PH-3 vacuum tube Phono Stage. It sounded way better than CD's ever possibly could. The cartridge and phono stage alone cost more than most high end D to A converters.

Joe, the peoblem all stems back to how much data can youread reliably and how fast can it be accurately processed. With digital thats primarily what determines the max sampling rate and sound quality. CD's are now obsolete IMHO, DVD recorders are right around the corner even for home computers with audio recording software most likely lingering around right behind it.
If I Had to do a side by side comparison I would say that DVD Audio can easily replace it and surpass it in many ways. Particularly in the noise and dynamic range areas.
I do have a receiver now and personally if you ask me receivers suck big time...still. Mine does have seperate analog inputs thank god! I would really love to have all my Krell stuff back now, thats for sure.
MArk @ GTS

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-26-2001 10:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CDs cannot be obsolete until some other format eclipses them in market share. They may be obsolete for you. My problem would be that my favorite types of music are not yet on DVD-A. Everything will have to be remastered and rereleased. I agree that it is a much better format, though.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-28-2001 09:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
Sorry, taking a market share does not determine if something is obsolete or not...this is irrelevant to the situation of any technology. Take for instance the Space Shuttle.....it has all been obsolete now for several decades and we are in need of a new, more efficient one, take for instance the computer you are sitting at right now reading this message. It was obsolete before it hit the streets to be bought by yourself.
Its actually the pace of technology that determines what is obsolete or not. Its the bean counters that decide to continue or not to continue marketing a now obsolete product, or using obsolete technology. Sometimes industry, or a person is happy to continue using some form of obsolete technology cause it suits them just fine and gets the job done. However with the advance in Digital audio, standard old CD's are definately obsolete technology.
Mark @ GTS

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-28-2001 03:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something that is still widly in use with new products made for it cannot be obsolete. Perhaps you mean "outdated"? My computer is not obsolete. There is still hardware made for it and software as well. It is faster than most new PCs on the market even today. I hardly consider that obsolete. It'll be obsolete when I can no longer upgrade or run the newest apps on it.

Don't worry Mark. We all bow down to you for having HDTV and DVD-A.

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2001 06:18 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I've not yet heard a DVD-Audio release, I can attest to the absolutely stunning and life-like sound of SACD. I had the opportuninty to listen to recording at a local high-end electronics store in their listening room (a room I have listened to several CD recordings in) and I was blown away by the entire experience. Beats the hell out of regular old CD's. From everything that I have read, DVD-Audio is just as good.

Of course neither format will go anywhere until there are more releases...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-28-2001 07:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I;ve read DVD-A should actually be much better.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: