Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Home Theater Powers

Author Topic: Home Theater Powers
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2002 02:47 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone!
Ok, someone remember when Steve and I had a discussion about cinema's power needs (I put a photo of a destroyed Subwoofer).
Now, near my house, I bought a garage. There aren't houses on it and next to it. It is under a garden! The best place to reach 110dB...

So, I'm planning to build a great audio/video system within years. In the meantime I'm trying to understand what are my needs.
Steve (and Dolby!) told me that Dolby Digital maximum peak for each channel are:

LCR: 103dB
SR/SL: 100dB
SW: 113dB

I've calculated that witha 92dB/w/m speaker I need 236W for my room.
The problem is: if I double this power to have an extra headroom, I will drop in 400+ W power. And with these powers I'll need a professional system.
Many people (all?) are saying me that 230W are really too many watts for that room. But it is just math...
A friend of mine told me: 103dB is the maximum peak of the system. You should buy Hi-Fi 200W amplifiers that will be able to give you 400W for few moments during that 103dB peak.

Since we are talking of a lot of money, I don't want to buy a sound system that will be inadequate for my needs...

Would you pls give me your opinion? Steve, what do you think?

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: