Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Bose Sound Systems and very stupid advertising! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bose Sound Systems and very stupid advertising!
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2002 09:30 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen the Bose "informercial"? They expect their potential customers to actually experience what their products sound like through a televised commerical!

|  IP: Logged

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2002 09:38 PM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Has anyone seen the Bose "informercial"? They expect their potential customers to actually experience what their products sound like through a televised commerical!

Not too different from HDTV infomercials on VHS tape.

Do they do an A/B comparison? I'd expect them to degrade the sound quality of the comparison system to show the relative difference.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2002 10:25 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you referring to the Bose ad that features Herbie Hancock?

I ran 12,000 copies of this informercial a few months ago. Decent stereo, for VHS!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-14-2002 11:49 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Decent stereo, for VHS!

Well duh! That's because it's Bose!

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2002 11:54 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No highs, no lows...must be Bose!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-14-2002 01:28 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Amar "I'll sue you if you don't like my speakers!!" Bose

(he once sued Consumer Reports over a negative review)

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2002 03:20 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
B.O.S.E. Better Order Something Else.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2002 09:48 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to watch that video over and over. NOWHERE do they mention the price.

I never wanted one, and for the prices that I've seen, I'll never own a Bose Wave® radio.

I recently looked at a pair of hi-priced Bose speakers. I bought Cerwin-Vegas.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-17-2002 10:37 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although the Bose Wave Radio is a good product and does sound great for its small size, I suspect the profit margin is astronomically high for them. Not that there's anything wrong with that I guess.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2002 01:05 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bose Wave Radio always intrigued me but I never bought one because of the price. I figured that the best clock radio on the planet should cost $150 not $399.

My father bought a Wave Radio with CD for his country house. He loves it. My father is precisely Bose's target market. He has more money than sense and he doesn't want to be troubled by hooking something up.

So a couple of years ago he bought one for me for my birthday. As it arrived at my office at a time when I didn't have a home, it lives at the office. As an office radio and CD player it shines. But I don't love it. I still use my 25-year-old GE clock radio at home to listen to NPR in the morning. I have never felt the need to swap them.

There is no way that the Bose Wave Radio with CD is worth $499. If portable CD players are selling for $49 in blister packs at Best Buy and clock radios are $25 at Walgreen's I figure that Bose has $20 in parts in the Wave and $40 in cute industrial design. So what they are selling for $439 above their manufacturing costs is exclusivity and a name.

Henry Kloss took great pleasure in his later life debunking the Bose myth. He created Cambridge Sound Works to under sell Bose and then he created the new Kloss Model One radio which is now sold through Tivoli Audio .

What Bose's genius is marketing. He totally controls the retail end of his product so he can set the price. In doing so, he has created a small monopoly. But it isn't illegal because obviously you can buy a similar clock radio elsewhere. Apple tried this same approach but it didn't work for them as well because people just started buying PCs instead. But Bose doesn't need a percentage of market share to be successful. He just needs a steady stream of people willing to pony up $499 for a $60 clock radio.

Notice too that in the 10 years the Wave Radio has been out, it has never been improved. What, technology hasn't marched on in 10 years? Apple couldn't survive with the same model for 10 years; even Sony has to update the televisions occasionally.

I love Bose's concepts, I just hate his execution. He really knows what people want and he delivers. There is a segment of the population who don't want bells and whistles and pay dearly for it. Then there are people who will pay $10,000 for an amp and $50,000 for a pair of speakers because it has a thick aluminum faceplate and are polished using the spit of the Phoenix. I always have to laugh when I see speakers at my local high-end audio store that cost 10 times what I have behind my screen. That's sort of why I gave up lusting after high-end audio systems. There has got to be a better way.

Sorry, I didn’t mean this to become a rant.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-17-2002 01:26 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My father also bought a Wave Radio with CD. He loves it. It does sound good, is well-designed, etc. But $400 or $500? I think not.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-17-2002 01:31 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a Bose Wave Radio for about six years. It is set up in the living room of my New York apartment. When I entertain people are always remarking how great the sound in the apartment. I think it's in their heads because they see the Bose. So I am not complaining. I like it too.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2002 01:40 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of ours once proudly told us he'd bought a Bang & Olufsen music system. Yuck I thought, and tbh it sounded yuck, but it did look lovely, like a piece of furniture, not a stack of electronics. Didn't last though, it spent more time back at the dealers than it did in his living room. Gave up eventually and bought real 'Hi-Fi'!

In defense of Bose, some of their proffessional grade PA speakers (802's etc) are pretty good sounding and almost indestructible. I've used these at outdoor gigs for years, when finished and packing up, you can hose them down, let them dry, and they are just fine.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2002 03:06 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Clock Radio for $399 (£277)

*falls over*

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-18-2002 04:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you think the wave radio is bad you should have been privy to their theatre sound system. Now that was REALLY bad! So bad that they blew their own demo that had been set up in the then MGM Grand theatre at Showest a number of years back. They picked several segmants from films that had high inherent distortion in them to boot. The "Better Order Something Else" slogan probably originated there. The only promising aspect of the whole thing was the sound canon sub woofer. The system also included the power eating equalizer boxes similar to the one in the old Bose home system.

Ian, Henry Kloss has always had a table radio someplace in his many companies. KLH made the forst high end table radio back in the KLH/Henry days. I remember it was around 300.00 back then and that was alot of dough.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: