Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » BVH-1100 1" VTR won't record

Author Topic: BVH-1100 1" VTR won't record
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-18-2002 11:25 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here's the scoop....

Paul got ahold of a few bvh1100 vtrs for me to goof around with, so far there hasnt been much goofing, they weigh 250 pounds!! anyway, at first it wouldnt play back, but after I gave it a source signal, all the servos locked and away it went. It has two problems. 1. it won't record. I've tried switching all of the switches and everything and it still wont record. 2. on occasion the control logic will freeze up, and I have to "reboot" it to get it to do anything. anyone out there familiar with these machines to give me a hand?

Josh

Another endevor into the world of rust

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2002 01:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, I used to work on these machines when I was in TV in Chicago a number of years back. These wre the workhorses of our ststion and were very reliable machines. First you have to be sure that playback is ok...such that the heads are good. The head drum is quite expensive to buy, I think around $3,000.00. Second is that you need a service manual for it(especially to do all the adjustments if you do replace the head drum. There are many test points in there to use a scope to see whats going on. These are pretty easy machines to work on sans the matching Time Base Corrector which can be a nightmare in itself. You will also need a refrence playback tape for proper alignment of the guides, playback video EQ, and several other things. Keep you eye out on e-bay for this stuff.
Mark

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 06:17 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um. . .you say that you are feeding it source video, but are you feeding it a reference signal also? It's got to see something with a subcarrier signal (color black, fer'instance} on the 'REF' video input on the back for it to do anything. You'll need a black burst generator to bring this off. As to the question of switch throwing, I don't know if you got down to the circut board cage at the bottom under the pull down panel, but there is a record inhibit toggle switch on one of the board edges that will lock you out if it's thrown.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-19-2002 10:26 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, it has an external reference input next to the video input. the head lock switch can be set to either incoming video or external ref. I have it set for the incoming video, which in this case is a dvd player just to give it sync.

as far as the blackburst generator, can they be built? or can something else be used for that instead?

where is that record inhibit switch? there is also one of the front panel that I made sure was turned off.

anything else I missed?

Josh

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-19-2002 02:07 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh,

For a cheap blackburst solution you might try this: Since you are already using a DVD player as your source, try pausing a DVD at a point where it is in black. I think that should give you a good enough ref signal. You might also look on ebay for one of those low-end Leader or Beckman video test signal generators. Those can be fairly cheap and they can supply a black signal with (or without) burst.

Paul
Gimpy Staff Projectionist, Vidiot
Crown Neonopolis 14
"Otaku wa tsurai yo" <-- Yeah I know, bad pun. Sue me.
It's tough being a fan!

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-19-2002 04:23 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I got blackburst from an MII deck wich had a jack convieniently labled blackburst

now where is that record inhibit switch?

Josh

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-19-2002 05:22 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... MII and Type C. Josh, you sound like you're starting a museum for old video tape formats. If you think a BVH-1100 is heavy, wait 'til you see the Ampex 2000 that will surely find its way to your door. Or an IVC-9000. (Both use 2" tape, one being quad and the other helical scan. Both are behemoths about the size of a big side-by-side refrigerator and probably weigh around 700 lbs each.) I can probably dig those up if you're interested, but you'd have to pay the shipping...

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 10:10 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh:

Actually on the BVH 1100 there is only one record inhibit which you seem to have found. . .sorry, I had a brain fart and flashed on the BVH 2000 for a moment, the switch on that machine is located on the bottom with the TBC behind a drop down panel.

As far as black burst, I'm not clear how you were able to derive a reference from an M2 deck, without that deck itself being fed the signal. Are you sure that you didn't take the loop-thru output (which would be either underneath or just to the side of the reference input)? I've never played with an M2 but I also have never heard of a tape machine producing it's own black reference, and taking the loop output would do you no good unless said machine was being fed it's own signal.

If you have access to a video camera that has a composite video output, it would produce the signal you need by virtue of it's NTSC encoder. You could take the camera's video output to the BVH's reference input and try things that way.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-19-2002 10:15 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know, but it must have worked, because the machine is locking to that signal. This MII deck has an internal TBC, maybe that is where the blackburst is coming from. I still dont know why the sony wont record.

Josh

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-22-2002 12:38 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know where we can find a book on those things? I kept one of the two M-II's, and gave Josh the other one.

Paul Meyer - Mark might want those. He was looking for a 2-inch Ampex. With all that stuff I hauled to Josh, it looks like he basically ran out of room!

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 10:50 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone want me to scan & email them a manual for an RCA
TP-7 slide projector light control system?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: