Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » UNCUT Television

Author Topic: UNCUT Television
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2002 09:25 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After running a network print of a classic TV show the other night, my friends and I had an idea. OK. Probably the beer talking, but here goes.

How about a channel on cable / satellite that runs nothing but truly uncut/unedited old TV shows?

My friends have seen the syndicated version of the show that we saw in the past here. Everybody agreed that the show is more complete and entertaining when unchopped. The show we watched seemed much longer than the 26 minutes that it was. Plus it flows more smoothly!!

This is yet another way to get these old negatives out of the vaults, and up on our TV screens again. Any other suggestions??

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2002 06:35 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I know of,but I found some Price Is Right & other game show
bloopers on the net.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2002 07:48 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I should have been more specific. When I said uncut, I ment uncut, like when the shows first ran on the networks. Here in the USA, when a show goes into rerun heaven, or syndication, scenes are snipped here and there to get more commercial time during the show. Now, when we see shows from the early 1960's, for example, some are cut by as much as five minutes! Believe me, it really hurts the continuity of shows such as "The Andy Griffith Show," and "I Love Lucy," (from the '50's,) among others...

I just would like a chance to see shows the way the producers ment them to be just one more time without being digitally compressed.

I've seen the gameshow bloopers that you speak of... Funny stuff.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2002 09:28 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possible solution: Run a two hour timeblock with three sitcoms back to back (40 minutes each). That way they can run unedited (for time) AND provide the amount of commericals for four shows for the price of three.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 01:39 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see old TV shows run EXACTLY as they were first broadcast, including commercials and everything.
If someone were to start a new network now though I wouldn't care what they showed as long as there was NO ONSCREEN LOGO!!!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 02:43 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right on, Jesse! This is what I had in mind, though, I doubt that advertisers would let their ads play again. The cigarette companies ran ads back in the 50's telling us that the young hip Americans smoked Phillip Morris! The ad I speak of was in a medical show where the main charactor died after coughing his lungs out.

Just let us see the shows untouched by the snip police.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: